Are fat people just lazy and make excuses?

Options

Replies

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that.

I would say that "fat people"-

*do not want to change as much as they want to stay in their current comfort zone
    *want to change, but are working with bad information
    *are struggling with life situations, physical limitations, and/or mental health problems that make weight maintenance difficult, or just not as much of a priority. Because when the house is on fire who gives a damn about dirty dishes in the sink?

Spot on.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The easiest answer here is "yes". To what degree that is true varies by individual.

In general, those who buy-in to a lifestyle change of regular exercise and eating smart are not obese or won't be obese for long if they keep it up. It is the individuals who want instant gratification in their results or think they can drop 20 lbs and go back to their old ways that just end up fat again.

I realize there are some outliers with thyroid issues or other medical limitations, but for the vast majority of fat people you will find excuses, laziness, resistance to change, fear of the unknown, and possibly addiction.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Some are, some aren't. /thread

This.
    I totally accept and own the fact that I became overweight by being lazy.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    It has to be a mental decision. Until your head is in the game, nothing will work.
    And this.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Is she thin because she is high energy or is she thin because she seems to subsist primarily on coffee, alcohol, and smoking weed?

Alcohol is a depressant and overindulgence definitely hinders fat loss.
    Smoking marijuana is mostly linked with being a depressant (and hallucinogen) and has no tangible effect on adipose tissue.
    Coffee is likely not the cause for her being "high energy," as regular coffee drinkers develop a tolerance to the stimulating effect; this typically maintains a baseline of normalcy vice a noticeably "energetic" effect.

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Troll?

Frankly, I'm surprised I even got started again this time around. I'm extremely glad I did, but losing and regaining large amounts of weight multiple times starting from the early teen years (I remember counting calories for the first time in 5th grade) had mentally killed me - I decided my brain was broken, and I would never be able to permanently change my weight.

It was 7 years between this time and last time. Laziness had nothing to do with it. I wasn't physically capable of the things I am now, but I was constantly busy between work, keeping a home, dealing with family, etc. My house was always in immaculate condition, and I worked (as I do now) two jobs - one of them physical. It was very difficult for me to keep my house up to my standards and then clean at a resort every weekend, but I did it.

I'm glad for your commitment! Some people just shrug and say " well being overweight is just who I am". If I can ask, what helped you get started again? Was it an epiphany, get help from someone, etc?

Part of it was just feeling all the stress on my body and struggling with it every day.

Part of it was reading HAES literature. The idea that it could still be worthwhile to do good things for my body even if my weight didn't change much really took hold of me.

I switched to whole grains and began loading up on produce and doing gentle exercise months before I decided to tackle my weight again.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I was not fat- as in when I would wear a shirt- one wouldn't be able to see my stomach but when I was 25 lbs heavier than I am now. I genuinely believed that I need to exercise more to lose weight.

I did strength training 5 days a week and boxing 1 day- so I was working out 6 days a week and was heavy.

It was so much later I realized that weight is 100% diet dependent. So May 2015 until Dec 2015- I did strength training and boxing 5-1 days a week and nada -I even gained 4 lbs during that time period and since Jan 5-2016 until now I'm down approx 25lbs.

LoL I even use to get out of my chair every 20-40 mins to move because I thought that caused weight gain.

Sometimes it is simply not knowing -I use to read every damn article on bodybuilding websites too lol and spent countless money on supplements as well
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Well sure, plenty of people make excuses. I constantly hear stuff like "I'm a food addict ! I can't help myself " and other excuses. I know I made plenty of excuses in my past also. I just try not to worry about what other people are doing or not doing and leave them alone. Who cares if someone is lazy ? Who cares if they claim they are a food addict or whatever the newest trendy excuse is ?
    I worry about myself and don't really care if other want to be lazy. That means more room at the gym for me and less of a wait to get on the equipment that I want! So yeah, let them stay home and be "addicted to food " while I have the gym to myself !:)
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well. I am fat because I was raised not being taught portion control or anything about nutrition, well into my 20s. The things I know now mostly come from finally getting so sick of it, and doing countless hours of my own research. These forums have been incredibly eye opening and useful.

But I am also very lazy. I have never enjoyed physical activity, for one (being fat made me embarrassed to take part in gym classes etc etc because growing up overweight does WONDERS for confidence...). I also used to hate to cook, which is HUGE because most convenience food and take out have a massive amount of calories.

I 100% agree that a person's head needs to be in the game before they can commit to this journey. And they need to open their minds and be willing to throw away any preconceived notions of food and "healthy" and calories etc. if they hope to be successful.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A highly energetic (and dead) fat person.
    Chris Farley.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--anD3zDUF--/199stwgyb08mkgif.gif
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    The majority of people that I've experienced are simply resistant to make lasting, permanent life changes. They want to eat garbage before taking a half-mile stroll after dinner and have that be enough to be fit and healthy. It doesn't work that way.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Another athletic and fat comedian.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Arbuckle

When I was obese and sedentary the effort required for regular exercise was a big unknown for me. It was both much easier (you can start slow) and much harder (it takes a freak load of exercise to burn 200 calories) than I imagined. Now that I am on the other side of achievement a whole bunch of exercise goals now feel achievable.

For someone who has repeatedly dieted and "failed" it takes particular determination to pick it up again.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of lazy.

I was not lazy, but I did eat too much and chose to not exercise. Choosing to not exercise doent make me lazy. Choosing to not control my eating also does not make me lazy. I was OK with my weight, even though I was fat. It wasnt like I kept complaining about my body or weight, but didnt do anything about it.