Are fat people just lazy and make excuses?

Options

Replies

• mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I became fat because I loved food. I have always been mostly active since I walk everywhere instead if driving. (Locally) Some days I have walked up to 20 miles total.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I really like a lot of articles on Peter Attia's site. It was very helpful in understanding why I was starving after eating a meal and why I wasn't losing weight even on low calories with high energy expenditure. I have come to strongly understand his answer to this very question: http://eatingacademy.com/quick-faq#fat-lazy

I'd never been actually overweight before pregnancy. During those months, I'm sure I ate more sugar than in the previous 5 years combined. I knew a lot about nutrition, but I truly felt that only a few chocolates, bowls of ice cream or cheerios, or something greasy would quell the general malaise. Oh did I gain. Now, you may call that laziness or lack of discipline, but I can tell you now... given the same hormonal mix, I'd probably do it again. I *remember*. The cravings were real and I harbor no resentment toward my pregnant self. Cravings are stronger for some than others.

And after birth, I returned to lifting and running and ate a nice balance of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and protein. And dropped calories and absolutely nothing more than a few pounds came off. We checked my thyroid and all was fine. I got reassuring pats from my doctor who assured me that she didn't lose her last pounds until she stopped nursing. In the meantime, I trained for a half marathon, cut calories more... and continued to not lose. So there's one anecdote - among many more than others can tell, I'm sure - that doesn't support the fat = lazy equation.

And there are many other times in my life when I was trying to cut to more muscle definition and the calories in and calories out energy equation didn't work.

I'm 100% convinced that there's a lot more to fat composition than calories, exercise, and macro-level discipline.
  • SWBE_Faith
    SWBE_Faith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Simple answer. Same as any prejudice, it is wrong, unfair and ignorant.

I agree!

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    when I was fat I was lazy and made excuses.

I can't lose weight
    too tired to exercise
    I am a smoker
    nothing works

Same here, minus the smoker. Another trap I fell into was "my family is overweight, so it's heriditary and there's nothing I can do about it anyway." It didn't occur to me that we all liked eating..a lot.

So I've lost most of the weight, but I'm still lazy at times, haha.
    As snowflake said, I also think it's an unfair prejudicial view.
  • SWBE_Faith
    SWBE_Faith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree and think this whole thread is stupid. Isn't Myfitnesspal designed to be uplifting and helpful? So, why would you want to get on here and act like and jerk and assume that just because someone is overweight that they are lazy. I am overweight and I am not lazy at all. Do I work out all the time? No, but that doesn't mean I am lazy. I work a full time job, work in the yard, take care of a home, walk my dogs, go hiking, participate in a lot of things, but still I have battled with being overweight. So, instead of starting a judgmental thread, this person should have started a thread that maybe providing tips on weightloss. Just sayin...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I wasn't lazy...not on purpose, anyway, but being fat made activity very painful. I did, however, make lots and lots of excuses. "I'm eating what's 'normal' so it must be my metabolism." "My mom and aunt were always heavy so it's probably genetic." "I don't have the willpower to cut carbs/fat/fast food/salty snacks/demon food of the month, and therefore trying to adjust my diet is pointless."

Yes, I was lazy and making excuses. I just didn't realize it until I found MFP and CICO finally clicked. Now I don't mind admitting that I was a big fat idiot. But that's just me.
  • rosadoveronica76
    rosadoveronica76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Sometimes it's true. Sometimes someone will simply have excuse after excuse as to why (s)he can't exercise, or can't watch what (s)he eats, or some other such excuse.

Other times the overweight person simply doesn't know what really works and/or where to get started. (S)he has heard/seen/read too much BS regarding various fads that don't do anything.

Other times, there's a medical condition that hinders weight loss.

Procrastination and lack of weight loss education is what holds people from losing weight. Understanding how our body Works is essentially the tool one needs to shed pounds; one has to be motivated and have that drive and eagerness to reach their goal. Many of us have tried different diets; where they either gave up too soon or were overwhelmed not seeing quick weight loss results. Weight loss is something that happens with time. So are fat people lazy? Obese not fat people who have tried and have not seen success; is simply because they lack the tools to help them reach their weight loss goals. Average size people struggle with their weight for the same reason. What you eat, how often you eat and exercise, and intake water is will determine your weight loss.

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My husband is obese. He is highly educated, type A, successful, driven etc.. But he is a young type 2 diabetic because he is mentally lazy. You have to think and put work and change habits. It's not easy by any means. He knows all this. You can lead a horse to water but even the thirstiest kitten wont take a drink!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    when I see the proliferation of electric shopping carts that were intended for use by the handicapped only being used by obese people, well yeah I think "they" are lazy. I also look at the items they are putting in their basket and trust me, they aren't trying to remedy their plight. That said, do I look at a "fat" person and think "lazy" no I do not.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is a tricky question to answer, but here's my personal experience:

I have PCOS, and losing weight is very difficult, even with proper medication. Since it was so difficult, I made excuses not to try. Some of the excuses were rooted in genuine concerns, such as finding time to exercise. Some of the excuses were because I just didn't want to get my butt up and moving, so yeah, laziness. Some excuses were a fear that I would fail. It wasn't until I decided that it was a priority (thereby removing the "I can't find the time" excuse, since we all know we FIND time for things that are important to us) that I began to have success.

So no, I don't think that's entirely true. Is laziness a contributing factor? For a lot of people it could be. But being overweight and trying to decide if it's worth losing the weight is a much more complicated issue than just laziness. There are emotional, psychological, mental, and physical issues that can all be wrapped up in this, and everyone is different in what issues they have and what motivates them to change.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Someone's hating on SezxyStef and going around flagging her posts! I don't see anything wrong with the post above.

Anyway " Lazy is defined as "unwilling to work or use energy."..." is a poor definition.

At the least, people also need proper thinking and emotion in order to be willing to work, use energy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ChxSurf782 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Is she thin because she is high energy or is she thin because she seems to subsist primarily on coffee, alcohol, and smoking weed?

Alcohol is a depressant and overindulgence definitely hinders fat loss.
    Smoking marijuana is mostly linked with being a depressant (and hallucinogen) and has no tangible effect on adipose tissue.
    Coffee is likely not the cause for her being "high energy," as regular coffee drinkers develop a tolerance to the stimulating effect; this typically maintains a baseline of normalcy vice a noticeably "energetic" effect.

You misquoted, that wasn't me.

I was at my thinnest when I drank excessively, though, since I didn't care much about food at that time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Some people, sure. But generally, it's not that simple.