What's the biggest weight-loss lie you've ever heard?

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    When you turn 30 everything goes to *kitten*! Better get used to eating next to nothing now!

Not exactly weight loss related, but a lady in my office told me that if you feel the burn during exercise, you're hurting yourself. Sigh.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    KateTii wrote: »
    "You don't need to worry about calories, only sugar!"

My god I could eat 5,000 calories with minimal sugar, doesn't make it magically defy the law of CICO. And this came from someone who knew I have recently lost 12kg doing calorie counting

I agree with you that 5000 calories and no sugar wouldn't do much. But i can say that after lowering my total sugar intake (refined and natural) to 20g or under, my weight loss took off. The body doesn't need more sugar than that. of course, you would have to watch other macros such as carbs and sodium...Even "Fat" content doesn't bother me all that much and I am over (just a little) most days - but I have consistently lost 1-2 lbs since I've started following this rule.

I won't say that I don't care about my calories, but I am not a slave to that number. I don't even have my calories on my dashboard, I have my macros and honestly, If I hit my macros - 99% of the time, I have stayed within my calories when check a the end of the day - a few times i couldn't complete my diary because I hadnt eaten enough calories.

There is no doubt and plenty of studies that eliminating or drastically lowering your sugar intake will assist in weight loss.

I'm heading out for the day and really don't have time for another sugar debate, but could you clarify-are you saying that by lowering your sugar intake you're lowering your calorie intake, which helps create the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals? Or are you saying that if you lower your sugar intake, but continue eating at your TDEE or even at a calorie surplus over your TDEE, you'll lose weight just because you've cut out/down on sugar?

Also, how did you remove your calories from your dashboard? When I go into my settings calories is the only thing I can't remove (it shows that it's required).

I have a sugar sensitivity, and I find that sugar messes with my blood sugar and makes me want to eat more. (Not everyone suffers with this, BTW). Cutting out simple carbs and sugar broke the cravings cycle for me. I did not have this issue when I was younger and stayed thin no matter what food combinations I ate. Some people do benefit from reducing carbs.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    SassyRN_77 wrote: »
    "losing weight is the easy part-Keeping it off is hard..." BS losing is no easy task!!!!

Haha yes this. Eating 2500 calories is not harder than 2200....or less.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    To me -and my research, understanding and personal experience, CICO is a myth.
    100 calories of a vegetable is not the same as 100 calories of say, a candy bar. There are other issues to consider. There is no fiber in the candy bar for one.. Your insulin levels are going to spike with the candy. I've never bought into that CICO argument. But if it's working for you that's great.

You should call all the physics book publishers and tell them to strike the parts about Conservation of Energy. It's a myth after all.

Everyone knows personal research trumps peer review.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited May 2016
    Carbs make you fat, you should just eat sticks of butter all day every day to be skinny, rich, and have good breath.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    That you need to eat a big breakfast and themn eat a small dinner. I believed this so long and it sabotages me! I eat very little during the day and eat 80 or 90 percent of my calories after 6pm and lose weight because it helps me keep my calories under my limit and having large meals at the end of the day and snacking makes me feel like I'm not being deprived, where as lots of little meals makes me feel like there is so much I can't have.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    "Buy this rediculous weight loss book to find out weight loss secrets".
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Any diet that tells you to cut an entire food group out of your eating plan ... Moderation is the key to weight management success, not discrimination...!!

Depends who you are!

Would you tell an alcoholic to drink alcohol in moderation?

Celiacs? Diabetics?

What's good for the gander might cook the poor goose.

Alcohol is a food group now?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    That I wasn't a tub of lard.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited May 2016
    "You shouldn't do exercises for your ab area when you are fat, because the muscle pushes that fat upwards and you tummy will look even bigger"
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    hiyomi wrote: »
    "You shouldn't do exercises for your ab area when you are fat, because the muscle pushes that fat upwards and you tummy will look even bigger"

Dare I say I don't think this is a lie?

If you were actually able to build more ab muscle, and didn't lose the fat, you'd get bigger.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    It Works! Wraps. Detox tea, or any other short term gimmick.

Anyone over 30 will remember Sugar Busters and Adkins :s