What's the biggest weight-loss lie you've ever heard?

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    mypi wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    Eating every 3 hours will help to lose weight

This is not a myth actually. If you eat more frequent but little portions, your body has time to digest what you ate and you are less hungry in a process. Also eating when you're NOT hungry helps to fill you up faster leading to eating less at meal time.

This is a myth as it varies per person. I don't do well on frequent, small meals as they always leave me hungry. This is why many people adopt an IF style of eating, as meal times are a preference. There is nothing special about small, frequent meals in and of itself that would induce weight loss.

Then you don't eat right macros per meal. It's really that easy. I was of same thought as you before I started to look at meal macros.

Macros breakdown doesn't matter for weight loss either. In terms of weight loss the only thing that matters is that you're eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

@ReaderGirl3 I respect your opinions. What do you believe about the thermic effect?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    @lemurcat12 Yes, I see your point about higher fat cancelling out the effects of protein from this standpoint.
  • LAC73167
    LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
    edited May 2016
    KateTii wrote: »
    "You don't need to worry about calories, only sugar!"

My god I could eat 5,000 calories with minimal sugar, doesn't make it magically defy the law of CICO. And this came from someone who knew I have recently lost 12kg doing calorie counting

I agree with you that 5000 calories and no sugar wouldn't do much. But i can say that after lowering my total sugar intake (refined and natural) to 20g or under, my weight loss took off. The body doesn't need more sugar than that. of course, you would have to watch other macros such as carbs and sodium...Even "Fat" content doesn't bother me all that much and I am over (just a little) most days - but I have consistently lost 1-2 lbs since I've started following this rule.

I won't say that I don't care about my calories, but I am not a slave to that number. I don't even have my calories on my dashboard, I have my macros and honestly, If I hit my macros - 99% of the time, I have stayed within my calories when check a the end of the day - a few times i couldn't complete my diary because I hadnt eaten enough calories - so "poor me" - I had to eat more :wink:

There is no doubt and plenty of studies that eliminating or drastically lowering your sugar intake will assist in weight loss.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm not ReaderGirl3, but it's small within the context of the variety of healthful diets. The major difference is that protein has a higher cost of digestion vs. fat (lowest) or carbs (various depending on the type of carb, but lower than protein). Since there are good reasons not to eat a diet skewed toward super high protein (fat and carbs are better fuels, cost, overall nutrition and satisfaction), you aren't really going to see much difference without sacrificing other things and probably having an unsustainable diet, and also being able to eat the most (on paper) calories doesn't mean the diet itself is more satisfying, so I fail to see the value.

Thermic effect of normal variations from keto (usually a bit higher protein but also much higher fat, so the effects cancel each other out) to vegan aren't going to matter much.

Thank you, I was trying to figure out how to word a response but you said it better than I was going to :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited May 2016

My god I could eat 5,000 calories with minimal sugar, doesn't make it magically defy the law of CICO. And this came from someone who knew I have recently lost 12kg doing calorie counting

I agree with you that 5000 calories and no sugar wouldn't do much. But i can say that after lowering my total sugar intake (refined and natural) to 20g or under, my weight loss took off. The body doesn't need more sugar than that. of course, you would have to watch other macros such as carbs and sodium...Even "Fat" content doesn't bother me all that much and I am over (just a little) most days - but I have consistently lost 1-2 lbs since I've started following this rule.

I won't say that I don't care about my calories, but I am not a slave to that number. I don't even have my calories on my dashboard, I have my macros and honestly, If I hit my macros - 99% of the time, I have stayed within my calories when check a the end of the day - a few times i couldn't complete my diary because I hadnt eaten enough calories.

There is no doubt and plenty of studies that eliminating or drastically lowering your sugar intake will assist in weight loss.

I'm heading out for the day and really don't have time for another sugar debate, but could you clarify-are you saying that by lowering your sugar intake you're lowering your calorie intake, which helps create the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals? Or are you saying that if you lower your sugar intake, but continue eating at your TDEE or even at a calorie surplus over your TDEE, you'll lose weight just because you've cut out/down on sugar?

Also, how did you remove your calories from your dashboard? When I go into my settings calories is the only thing I can't remove (it shows that it's required).
  • LAC73167
    edited May 2016

I won't say that I don't care about my calories, but I am not a slave to that number. I don't even have my calories on my dashboard, I have my macros and honestly, If I hit my macros - 99% of the time, I have stayed within my calories when check a the end of the day - a few times i couldn't complete my diary because I hadnt eaten enough calories.

I'm heading out for the day and really don't have time for another sugar debate, but could you clarify-are you saying that by lowering your sugar intake you're lowering your calorie intake, which helps create the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals? Or are you saying that if you lower your sugar intake, but continue eating at your TDEE or even at a calorie surplus over your TDEE, you'll lose weight just because you've cut out/down on sugar?

Also, how did you remove your calories from your dashboard? When I go into my settings calories is the only thing I can't remove (it shows that it's required).

No, did not lower my calorie intake. Just saying that my hitting all of my macros, I'm usually under. there is a rare occasion that Im not under and thats great. I can't answer your question because I haven't been focused on my calories, I haven't changed them -but I do measure my macros by % of calories and not by grams.

Also, I have no idea how I got my macros on my dashboard - HAHA, but once I get some coffee, I will check out my settings and figure it out - I stumbled on it one day haha. I am a paid user, don't know if you are, so it may be something that is afforded in their premium membership only..but check back later and i will have figured it out.

No debate :) Happy Sunday!
  • ReaderGirl3

No, did not lower my calorie intake. Just saying that my hitting all of my macros, I'm usually under. there is a rare occasion that Im not under and thats great. I can't answer your question because I haven't been focused on my calories, I haven't changed them -but I do measure my macros by % of calories and not by grams.

Also, I have no idea how I did it, but once I get some coffee, I will check out my settings and figure it out - I stumbled on it one day haha. I am a paid user, don't know if you are, so it may be something that is afforded in their premium membership only..but check back later and i will have figured it out.

I use the free version so that's probably it :) I'd love to discuss the other part of your post but now I'm running late and really have to step away from the computer lol.
  • LAC73167

Also, I have no idea how I did it, but once I get some coffee, I will check out my settings and figure it out - I stumbled on it one day haha. I am a paid user, don't know if you are, so it may be something that is afforded in their premium membership only..but check back later and i will have figured it out.

I use the free version so that's probably it :) I'd love to discuss the other part of your post but now I'm running late and really have to step away from the computer lol.

Enjoy your day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2016

I won't say that I don't care about my calories, but I am not a slave to that number. I don't even have my calories on my dashboard, I have my macros and honestly, If I hit my macros - 99% of the time, I have stayed within my calories when check a the end of the day - a few times i couldn't complete my diary because I hadnt eaten enough calories - so "poor me" - I had to eat more :wink:

It will only help in the sense that fat and protein (and fiber) are more filling than sugar... so you'll be less hungry, and less likely to eat too much.

If you still eat 20g of sugar but eat too much of the rest, you still won't lose anything. It's ALWAYS CICO.

ETA: quoted post is a perfect answer to this thread - that it's sugar that makes you fat...
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    synacious wrote: »
    Eating every 3 hours will help to lose weight

This is not a myth actually. If you eat more frequent but little portions, your body has time to digest what you ate and you are less hungry in a process. Also eating when you're NOT hungry helps to fill you up faster leading to eating less at meal time.

This is a myth as it varies per person. I don't do well on frequent, small meals as they always leave me hungry. This is why many people adopt an IF style of eating, as meal times are a preference. There is nothing special about small, frequent meals in and of itself that would induce weight loss.

Then you don't eat right macros per meal. It's really that easy. I was of same thought as you before I started to look at meal macros.

Macros breakdown doesn't matter for weight loss either. In terms of weight loss the only thing that matters is that you're eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

This is only true for people who don't have metabolic disorders that mess with carb metabolism. As many of those disorders go hand in hand with obesity, it's a bit disingenuous to state that macros don't matter, given the typical weight loss users of this website.
  • LAC73167
    To me -and my research, understanding and personal experience, CICO is a myth.
    100 calories of a vegetable is not the same as 100 calories of say, a candy bar. There are other issues to consider. There is no fiber in the candy bar for one.. Your insulin levels are going to spike with the candy. I've never bought into that CICO argument. But if it's working for you that's great.