SUGAR - The culprit!

Options
1235»

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    momnom27 wrote: »
    I feel like sugar really is the culprit for most women. Our hormones go bonkers & we crave it. We get overweight, insulin resistant, depressed, and miserable! Once you are free from those constant cravings, it's like being reborn! My celery tastes sweet! Never been happier. Feels like I am finally eating to fuel my body. I don't care how fast or slow I lose, I just feel fantastic.

I'm assuming you meant PMS, when estrogen drops, or menopause when estrogen takes the escalator down. I craved sweets at those times. And those sweets were a big factor in my weight gain. Of course it was excess calories that caused me to gain weight, but my consumption of and desire for meat and vegetables didn't increase, only sweet treats. Some of them were decadently fatty, so my protein as a percentage of calorie intake probably plummeted. I have experienced reduced sugar cravings after a period of time where I've cut back drastically on sugar. Ditto for when I consume more protein. Conjecture on my part, but perhaps a change in gut bacteria play a role. In fact, I know it's heresy to speak of cleanses, but after my colonoscopy I was delighted to find a change in my desire for sugar. I had been putting a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee in the morning and after a while it was a mounded teaspoon, then two teaspoons and still wasn't as sweet as I'd like. The morning after the colonoscopy I went back to a level teaspoon and was surprised that it tasted wonderfully sweet. As to your overweight, insulin resistant, depressed, and miserable comment, I'm assuming you meant the increased possibility of spiralling downwards when you let your sugar consumption get out of hand. I experienced some of that, although luckily not the entire spiral dive.

I don't crave sweet food with PMS. Only salty.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I feel like sugar really is the culprit for most women. Our hormones go bonkers & we crave it. We get overweight, insulin resistant, depressed, and miserable! Once you are free from those constant cravings, it's like being reborn! My celery tastes sweet! Never been happier. Feels like I am finally eating to fuel my body. I don't care how fast or slow I lose, I just feel fantastic.

I'm assuming you meant PMS, when estrogen drops, or menopause when estrogen takes the escalator down. I craved sweets at those times. And those sweets were a big factor in my weight gain. Of course it was excess calories that caused me to gain weight, but my consumption of and desire for meat and vegetables didn't increase, only sweet treats. Some of them were decadently fatty, so my protein as a percentage of calorie intake probably plummeted. I have experienced reduced sugar cravings after a period of time where I've cut back drastically on sugar. Ditto for when I consume more protein. Conjecture on my part, but perhaps a change in gut bacteria play a role. In fact, I know it's heresy to speak of cleanses, but after my colonoscopy I was delighted to find a change in my desire for sugar. I had been putting a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee in the morning and after a while it was a mounded teaspoon, then two teaspoons and still wasn't as sweet as I'd like. The morning after the colonoscopy I went back to a level teaspoon and was surprised that it tasted wonderfully sweet. As to your overweight, insulin resistant, depressed, and miserable comment, I'm assuming you meant the increased possibility of spiralling downwards when you let your sugar consumption get out of hand. I experienced some of that, although luckily not the entire spiral dive.

I have a few friends who have never experienced any form of PMS at all. No cravings, no mood changes, nothing. One of them believes that women who insist that they are profoundly influenced by these hormonal changes (like I was) are just looking for an excuse for their bad behaviour. Once again, different experiences and different perspectives.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

I was an equal opportunity consumer. ;)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Salty is definitely my more likely craving also. Or spicy.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    This covers it for me! Hits all the macros!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/230159/sweet-salty-spicy-party-nuts/
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Anyone on this journey has reduced their sugar intake. I generally get around 50 mg. That's below my red line and I get there without adding sugar to anything.

See that's a deceptive statement. I wouldn't say I reduced my sugar intake, but I reduced my overall intake of foods so that I wouldn't go over calories. By default I have lowered several macros because I am no longer consuming in the same quantities I was before. But I have in no way limited sugar as I find that that's the best way for me to snap like a bad ripcord and eat the world in ice cream.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I definitely get miserable and depressed by eating to much processed sugar. My belly gets bloated and my mood is dropping. Glad you feel better.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Anyone on this journey has reduced their sugar intake. I generally get around 50 mg. That's below my red line and I get there without adding sugar to anything.

I think this 'anyone' is as misleading as the 'most women' statement.

I haven't particularly reduced my sugar intake - I must eat less sugar than before I lost weight, but then I eat less everything, just less food in general , not specifically less sugar.
  • momnom27
    momnom27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Thank you for clarifying this. I'm new here and didn't realize how quickly the threads get feisty, even when not advocating something unhealthy. I thought it might be fun to post a bit about my own experience. The boards have provided me with much inspiration. When you find something that changes your life, you're excited to share in case someone else might be struggling with the same issues. It takes the wind out of your sails a bit when people seem so eager to poop on your party. I appreciate that you and a couple others were able to elaborate in a positive way. I guess I better get thicker skin or else go back to just reading the boards.