Never ending hatred towards Carbs in fitness community? China Study

Options

Replies

• Osama_The_llama
    Osama_The_llama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Carbs are just as important or even more important than protein is. A solid diet for gaining muscle should consist of around 55-65% carbs then 20-25% protein and then the rest for fats. Carbs give your body energy to work like a mule in the gym. Carbs are your primary fuel.
  • Sohsen
    Sohsen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Carb tolerance highly depends on your body type. Endomorphs like me don't do well with high carb content and tend to convert it to fat easily. Mesomorphs and ectomorphs both flourish on high carb intake.

Age is also a factor. The older we get, the worse our carb tolerance gets.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    I saw two documentaries which talked about china study. I guess since the movie was about China study ofcourse they will talk about only the good things it talked about.

IIRC they talked about even 8-10% protein is good.
    Instagram people post about getting cancer from this and that - i'm telling you soon -just breathing oxygen would also be related with causing cancer.

It's such a information overload that I think everyone will either stop caring about everything or it will get regulated properly.

There is a lot of misinformation on the internet. There are no bad carbs, just bad diets. If you diet is widely based on whole, nutritious sources, I wouldn't stress it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sohsen wrote: »
    Carb tolerance highly depends on your body type. Endomorphs like me don't do well with high carb content and tend to convert it to fat easily. Mesomorphs and ectomorphs both flourish on high carb intake.

Carbohydrate is very very rarely converted to fat
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Right now, as I'm on a reduced caloric way of eating I'm making sure my protiens are high, so as not to lose muscles. As soon as I am in maintnenance I plan to go back to my regular balanced carb intake. So for me its temporary, love me some rice and pasta. I'll see how it goes, if its not feeling so good I can limit them but I'll never do very low carbing.
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

IIRC from over feeding studies, it something like 30% of the time.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Right now, as I'm on a reduced caloric way of eating I'm making sure my protiens are high, so as not to lose muscles. As soon as I am in maintnenance I plan to go back to my regular balanced carb intake. So for me its temporary, love me some rice and pasta.

I think this is another of the myth , well anecdotal evidence that I've seen with one of my friend on MFP was on 10-15% protein and rest was carbs and fats- he was not even lifting 5 days a week like me-lost weight fairly quickly and very little to negligible muscle loss.

So I don't think muscle loss due to less protein is a fact. According to what I've seen.
  • adrram
    adrram Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Untrue. After carbohydrates are converted into glucose, any excess glucose that isn't burned is converted to glycogen and whatever isn't used by muscles and the liver is stored as fat.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Right now, as I'm on a reduced caloric way of eating I'm making sure my protiens are high, so as not to lose muscles. As soon as I am in maintnenance I plan to go back to my regular balanced carb intake. So for me its temporary, love me some rice and pasta.

I think this is another of the myth , well anecdotal evidence that I've seen with one of my friend on MFP was on 10-15% protein and rest was carbs and fats- he was not even lifting 5 days a week like me-lost weight fairly quickly and very little to negligible muscle loss.

So I don't think muscle loss due to less protein is a fact. According to what I've seen.

Loss of lean body mass is common during weight loss. And there are hundreds of studies supporting increased protein levels to minimize loss. General recommendations, especially for leaner individuals, is .8g-1g per lb of lean body mass.

If your friend is suggesting no muscle loss, I would ask how he came up with that conclusion.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    ^^I thought it was more complicated than that. I admit I'm not muscle hulk savy, I thought carbs were mainly used for their fuel/energy and yes building too, but not primarily to create the muscle itself.

I have read multiple places it usually comes down to CICO, genetics, etc and you need a surplus to build (not necessarily carbs). I know you can use fat/ protein post workouts for repair/recovery. A lot of non-low carb builders cut carbs when shredding but retain all if not the majority of their mass.

Please explain? I'm honestly curious about this and Bikini season is around the corner.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    adrram wrote: »

Untrue. After carbohydrates are converted into glucose, any excess glucose that isn't burned is converted to glycogen and whatever isn't used by muscles and the liver is stored as fat.

Glycogen gets stored in your muscles and liver for later use.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    ^^I thought it was more complicated than that. I admit I'm not muscle hulk savy, I thought carbs were mainly used for their fuel/energy and yes building too, but not primarily to create the muscle itself.

I have read multiple places it usually comes down to CICO, genetics, etc and you need a surplus to build (not necessarily carbs). I know you can use fat/ protein post workouts for repair/recovery. A lot of non-low carb builders cut carbs when shredding but retain all if not the majority of their mass.

Please explain? I'm honestly curious about this and Bikini season is around the corner.

Carbs stimulate muscle protein synthesis, which helps with muscle building. Fats don't really help with recovery. If anything you want carbs + protein pre or post workout +/- 2 hours (based on some later studies) but your total diet will have a greater impact over the timing of those nutrients. Honestly, there are several other things that should be addressed before timing is concerned.

You can gain muscle in a deficit (especially if you are a noob, returning to training or over-fat) but its not going to be at the same rate as fat oxidation and it's not an ideal situation (since you are in a catabolic state).

If you want to deplete glycogen/water weight storage, you can cut carbs. You can probably see a few lbs of loss just from doing that.
  • rdani87
    rdani87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are no such things as essential carbohydrates. There are essential proteins and fats, but not carbs. Your body's preferred fuel is fat, or ketones, which are produced when fat is burned. Proteins and fats provide a longer lasting steady stream of energy, unlike carbs, which burn off quickly and leave you hungry sooner. Carbs are not the best fuel source, and only became popular and pushed onto the public when the agricultural revolution came about. We would be wise to dump them and go back to the way the hunter-gatherers lived, on proteins and fats and veggies.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Carbs are muscle sparing during calorie restriction because they decrease the rate of gluconeogenesis that's taking place in the body, which slows muscle breakdown. This contradicts all of the advertisements that urge you to buy shakes, and bars, and whatever other supplement. Advertisers are better than real scientists at getting their message across, which is why broscience still wins and people chug their shakes.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    The China study was very interesting.

Different people thrive on different types of diets. My friend Lawrence eats completely whole foods vegan and when he made the switch he lost 20 lbs and gained a lot of running stamina. Another friend who has PCOS does much better on a high fat, adequate protein, low carb diet (essentially Atkins). While it is trial and error, I think you have to find what works for you.

I think almost everyone agrees that adequate protein is necessary to preserve muscle mass.