Never ending hatred towards Carbs in fitness community? China Study

Options
viren19890
viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
Hello,

I just don't get it- if calories are king -where is there a never ending hatred towards carbs ? I mean I understand about good carbs and bad carbs -but fats have similar categories as well- good and bad yet Carbs get a bad rep?

Even new threads where people don't lose weight for two weeks- some of the posted advice is regarding eat high protein vs carbs.

Didn't China study prove that nothing is wrong with carbs and they don't even affect health in an adverse manner?

What do you guys think about it? another nonsensical broscience or has weight to it?
I'm vegetarian who eats no meat/seafood/eggs- so for me low carb diet is a big no regardless of what the outcome it.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    Hello,

I just don't get it- if calories are king -where is there a never ending hatred towards carbs ? I mean I understand about good carbs and bad carbs -but fats have similar categories as well- good and bad yet Carbs get a bad rep?

Even new threads where people don't lose weight for two weeks- some of the posted advice is regarding eat high protein vs carbs.

Didn't China study prove that nothing is wrong with carbs and they don't even affect health in an adverse manner?

What do you guys think about it? another nonsensical broscience or has weight to it?
    I'm vegetarian who eats no meat/seafood/eggs- so for me low carb diet is a big no regardless of what the outcome it.

Well first of all the China Study had quite a few problems with it and I'd hesitate to use that as proof of anything. Minger and I believe Colpo both have some good rebuttals there.

But more importantly, Taubes and a few others have popularized the low carb movement and brought it well into the mainstream, and so that's likely the reason for the carb hatred.

• megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    They are bad for me regardless of what a study says or the general populace. I don't know scientifically why carbs are bad for me but know absolutely my body hates them. My mouth on the other hand loves them.

I have autoimmune issues that drive multiple reactions after small to moderate carb consumption. I can still have carbs, and do, but only a very small amount usually.

Does that mean they are bad for everyone? Nope.

Does it mean I have to know why? Nope, I'm happy knowing the trigger and just staying away.

I eat hflc which helps me to manage my symptoms quite effectively.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello,

I think there's some confusion around low carb diets in this question.

I'm eating a low carb diet but do not agree ALL carbs are bad, I don't think anyone thinks that. Obviously carbs in broccoli and leafy greens are MUCH better than the carbs found in breads and pasta. Most low carbers go by NET carbs not total carbs, meaning if an avocado has 13g of carbs but 10 are fiber, it's only 3 net carbs. So I'll eat the entire avocado. Broccoli is high in fiber too and I eat a ton of broccoli. I hope that makes sense.

Bad carbs certainly affect me in a negative way, I don't know about you. When I eat too many BAD carbs I get headaches hours later (which I am battling with now from a cupcake I had last night) and am very bloated/gassy the next day. Sometimes I decide it's worth it and have a cheat meal, most days I do not.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think people recommend higher protein mostly for satiety and not necessarily because carbs are bad.
  • amyvanblaricom
    amyvanblaricom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. I have put them into more moderation along with Everything else but its not their fault people get fat.
  • viren19890
    Options
    Currently my macros are at 40% carbs and 30% protein and fat 30% .

Majority (over 80-90%) of my carbs comes from vegetables or like kidney beans, brown rice, roti and those sort of items.

Now I'd love to lose fat and remain at the same weight as the next guy but it kinda is overwhelming to see the force of people hating on carbs lol especially instagram and when I see the scale move slowly -you kinda want to start believing into these things haha
  • viren19890
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm eating a low carb diet but do not agree ALL carbs are bad, I don't think anyone thinks that. Obviously carbs in broccoli and leafy greens are MUCH better than the carbs found in breads and pasta. Most low carbers go by NET carbs not total carbs, meaning if an avocado has 13g of carbs but 10 are fiber, it's only 3 net carbs. So I'll eat the entire avocado. Broccoli is high in fiber too and I eat a ton of broccoli. I hope that makes sense.

Bad carbs certainly affect me in a negative way, I don't know about you. When I eat too many BAD carbs I get headaches hours later (which I am battling with now from a cupcake I had last night) and am very bloated/gassy the next day. Sometimes I decide it's worth it and have a cheat meal, most days I do not.

I don't think it is obvious at all that the carbohydrates in broccoli and leafy greens are "MUCH butter" than the carbohydrates found in bread and pasta. Obviously the foods have different proportions of macro- and micro-nutrients, but the carbohydrates themselves? How are the carbohydrates in broccoli meaningfully different than the carbohydrates in grain?

isn't there different kind of carbs? simple and complex ? to which body responds in different way and one is better other isn't ?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello,

I don't think it is obvious at all that the carbohydrates in broccoli and leafy greens are "MUCH butter" than the carbohydrates found in bread and pasta. Obviously the foods have different proportions of macro- and micro-nutrients, but the carbohydrates themselves? How are the carbohydrates in broccoli meaningfully different than the carbohydrates in grain?

isn't there different kind of carbs? simple and complex ? to which body responds in different way

Yes.
    and one is better other isn't ?

No. They're simply different. They both have their purposes/roles where either one may be more beneficial. - at that particular moment, for a particular reason - than the other. But neither is inherently good/bad/better.

eta: The funny thing is that simple carbs tend to get vilified. And those doing the vilifying tend to say that carbs from fruit/veg are "better." Yet, those are (usually) simple carbs.
  • viren19890
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Hello,

isn't there different kind of carbs? simple and complex ? to which body responds in different way

Yes.

No. They're simply different. They both have their purposes/roles where either one may be more beneficial. - at that particular moment, for a particular reason - than the other. But neither is inherently good/bad/better.

damn well -this is new -I've been living my life wrong.

Do you have any proper non-broscience links I can read on the subject?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It does get annoying but I do see the carb haters point a bit, they seem to lose fast for one thing - although thats mostly glycogen stores just emptying (to begin with anyway)
    For me personally, I would just not be interested, I eat all foods I just don't eat too much of the high calorie foods.
    And don't start me on the threads that are about going sugar free..... sighhhhh LOL
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Removing double post
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hello,

isn't there different kind of carbs? simple and complex ? to which body responds in different way and one is better other isn't ?

There are different types of carbohydrates (I wouldn't say one is necessarily "better") than the other, but broccoli and bread are both examples of complex carbohydrates. So even if complex carbohydrates are "better," it wouldn't explain how the carbohydrates in broccoli are "MUCH butter" than the carbohydrates in bread.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Yes.

On the subject of what? That simple and complex carbs are different?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello,

Bad carbs certainly affect me in a negative way, I don't know about you.When I eat too many BAD carbs I get headaches hours later (which I am battling with now from a cupcake I had last night) and am very bloated/gassy the next day. Sometimes I decide it's worth it and have a cheat meal, most days I do not.

It may simply be the quantity of carbs making you feel poorly and not the type - or not, I know we're all different.

I respond particularly well to a low carb diet but I've found that as long as my total carbs remain below the level I can tolerate it doesn't matter what the source. The majority of my carbs come from things like vegetables, berries and nuts - just because that's my preference - but knowing it's the total carbs I have a problem with and not "bad" carbs allows for a lot more variety in my diet. It's such a small thing but just being able to thicken a gravy with flour or use a 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs in a meatloaf goes a long way.

It's worth experimenting with, I think, for anyone who plans to or needs to sustain a low carb diet.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Yes.

Wikipedia on Saccharides would be a start and going from there on topics that interest you. You'll see that common table sugar is even a step more complex than what's in fruits and that in the end even the most complex carbs are made out of chained simple carbs and your body breaks them down to such.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hello,

There are different types of carbohydrates (I wouldn't say one is necessarily "better") than the other, but broccoli and bread are both examples of complex carbohydrates. So even if complex carbohydrates are "better," it wouldn't explain how the carbohydrates in broccoli are "MUCH butter" than the carbohydrates in bread.

Yup
  • viren19890
    Options
    I saw two documentaries which talked about china study. I guess since the movie was about China study ofcourse they will talk about only the good things it talked about.

IIRC they talked about even 8-10% protein is good.
    Instagram people post about getting cancer from this and that - i'm telling you soon -just breathing oxygen would also be related with causing cancer.

It's such a information overload that I think everyone will either stop caring about everything or it will get regulated properly.