Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    pcoslady83 wrote: »
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Let's assume the rat experiment is applicable, which virtually nobody does in science, but let's assume it does. One study is not enough. What's next? A human study?

This is totally me talking out of my *kitten*, but my assumption is rat studies are always pointed to in these arguments because human studies have never managed to prove the point. I mean, sugar is not a new product. Added sugar is not a new product. It's not like there hasn't been enough time for the powers of added sugar to be tested and trialed. They've done countless studies on the effects (or lack thereof) of artificial sweeteners, so I assume they've done the same and more with sugar. And if any of those studies actually supported any actual causative relationship between sugar and the slew of things it's supposed to cause (other than just what the excess calories cause), I think someone would have posted it by now. At least that's what my little brain assumes :)

A few studies are linked and explained in that scientific American article as well as an explanation of why rats aren't applicable. Through all the debate it could be decided immediately with a simple link to a robust peer reviewed study that has been further validated. There aren't any so far.

And it doesn't sound like the poster you're debating with would change her mind anyway. So, debate over, I guess

Exactly...this debate is over. I am not going to change my mind, neither the people whom I am debating with.

I don't mean to be rude but I've given enough opportunities for people to provide scientific evidence. I've given some, you've provided a belief. That's not how science works and its clear this is not going to be scientific debate but one based on belief and a misunderstanding of the scientific process.

I am sorry..the scientific evidence you provided was not convincing enough for me (the same way the references I provided were not convincing for you). It shows how biased you are with your opinions. If you provide something, it is scientific, if others provide something, it is not scientific.

And it is never favours science when one is so dogmatic and just dismiss people's experiences. Science has to explain what I am experiencing, I don't have to fit my experience to whatever explanation science has already provided. If nothing that science provides fits my experience, I will just wait till it does.

You showed a rat model.
    We told you it's not applicable to humans because the liver of a rat functions differently than a human's (links were provided).
    You said "Well, yeah but the glucose the human liver makes instead is turned to fat!"
    We told you it's not readily turned to fat, instead substrate use changes towards using more glucose because it's more efficient than creating fat out of glucose (links were provided).
    You said "Well, yeah, but not everyone has a super metabolism [actually a normal metabolism that works as intended] that can do that!"

It looks to me like you'd not even be convinced if the King of Science (if such a person were to exist) personally knocked on your door with a moving truck full of evidence, if it isn't the kind of evidence that reassures your opinion.

Bill Nye isn't the King of Science?

Nope, sadly he's just a Guy :(
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    @masterwilde, I apologize for the role I played in derailing this thread (it was substantial).

My thoughts on the article are that it basically shows how absurdly political this subject is. I do believe that people tend to discount by default the mavericks of any popular belief. I don't think there is necessarily a conspiracy at play, but politics in general. In my opinion, as with all political conflicts, there seems to be a great many people who advocate for either side but very few who are agnostic. In a perfect world, all suggestions would be taken seriously and fully and adequately tested. However, most of the time these studies come from one side or the other and usually do not provide definitive conclusions either way.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I can't say I see this as two opposing sides, we are all on the same side. That is we want to understand human behaviour and find ways of dealing with obesity and associated issues.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thank you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Great post. And I definitely agree with the points on compulsion.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Let's assume the rat experiment is applicable, which virtually nobody does in science, but let's assume it does. One study is not enough. What's next? A human study?

This is totally me talking out of my *kitten*, but my assumption is rat studies are always pointed to in these arguments because human studies have never managed to prove the point. I mean, sugar is not a new product. Added sugar is not a new product. It's not like there hasn't been enough time for the powers of added sugar to be tested and trialed. They've done countless studies on the effects (or lack thereof) of artificial sweeteners, so I assume they've done the same and more with sugar. And if any of those studies actually supported any actual causative relationship between sugar and the slew of things it's supposed to cause (other than just what the excess calories cause), I think someone would have posted it by now. At least that's what my little brain assumes :)

A few studies are linked and explained in that scientific American article as well as an explanation of why rats aren't applicable. Through all the debate it could be decided immediately with a simple link to a robust peer reviewed study that has been further validated. There aren't any so far.

And it doesn't sound like the poster you're debating with would change her mind anyway. So, debate over, I guess

Exactly...this debate is over. I am not going to change my mind, neither the people whom I am debating with.

I don't mean to be rude but I've given enough opportunities for people to provide scientific evidence. I've given some, you've provided a belief. That's not how science works and its clear this is not going to be scientific debate but one based on belief and a misunderstanding of the scientific process.

I am sorry..the scientific evidence you provided was not convincing enough for me (the same way the references I provided were not convincing for you). It shows how biased you are with your opinions. If you provide something, it is scientific, if others provide something, it is not scientific.

And it is never favours science when one is so dogmatic and just dismiss people's experiences. Science has to explain what I am experiencing, I don't have to fit my experience to whatever explanation science has already provided. If nothing that science provides fits my experience, I will just wait till it does.

You showed a rat model.
    We told you it's not applicable to humans because the liver of a rat functions differently than a human's (links were provided).
    You said "Well, yeah but the glucose the human liver makes instead is turned to fat!"
    We told you it's not readily turned to fat, instead substrate use changes towards using more glucose because it's more efficient than creating fat out of glucose (links were provided).
    You said "Well, yeah, but not everyone has a super metabolism [actually a normal metabolism that works as intended] that can do that!"

It looks to me like you'd not even be convinced if the King of Science (if such a person were to exist) personally knocked on your door with a moving truck full of evidence, if it isn't the kind of evidence that reassures your opinion.

Bill Nye isn't the King of Science?

lol!!!!

He must be...Sarah Palin would not debate him 62jkwsnl7sdf.jpg
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I've been following this thread since it started. I'm going to skip right on past the back and forth about sugar addiction, and just drop this article here: http://www.ibtimes.com/fda-cracking-down-added-sugars-how-will-big-food-companies-respond-2221019. I went looking for info on why sugars are added to products (as a result of this thread, btw), and found the aforementioned article. It applies mostly to people in the US, as it's about the FDA's proposed changes to nutrition labels, where "added sugars" will be required as a called out item. What I found particularly fascinating was toward the end of the article when they were talking about milk solids being used in products to boost protein. The fact that milk has naturally occurring sugars was being questioned. Will the companies then have to list those "natural" sugars as "added" sugars because the milk solids were added to the product? I couldn't find anything that gave a definitive answer on that, but I fail to see how listing lactose as an added sugar in Yoplait Original yogurt, for instance, would be a helpful indicator of "added sugars" in the product, especially since the original purpose of it was to reduce the amount of sugar.

Honestly, I don't give a rat's *kitten* about my sugar intake - even when I've specifically looked at it, the only time I hit even 100g total is when I'm over my calorie goal (and that includes fruit/veg sugars, not just added). For me, this new information and design is mostly unhelpful. However, I'm curious for those who do say they have issues with sugars, would having nutrition labels that specifically enumerate added sugar be helpful to you (and, if you're not in the US, does your country already do this)?

And, fwiw, I did read the original article posted. It just didn't make much logical sense to me. There is a world of difference between scientific studies and popular/prevailing nutritional advice. Are scientists infallible? Of course not. However, the article seemed to make out that a few "popular" scientists had some sort of emotional/personal stake in not being proven wrong. From what I understand, that happens all the time for scientists - a study is done that seems to support a hypothesis being tested, another study comes along that does not support that same hypothesis. I feel like the article was placing the burden of the obesity epidemic on some vast scientific conspiracy to hide "the truth," when in reality it seems more like the blame should be on the lack of overall nutritional education in the US. As the article mentioned fat has been vilified in the past, and it did nothing to diminish the prevalence of obesity. Now that we understand that it's not necessary to eat a low-fat diet to maintain health, we have "popular" nutrition advice telling us of the "deleterious effects of sugar on our bodies." All of this obfuscates the likelihood that many (most?) people don't read nutrition labels or know of what a healthy diet consists.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance for the wall of text; getting caught up here.

1) I'm going to repost this link in case some missed it. It reviews a range of rodent and human studies concerning sugar, explaining what evidence is available and applicable from both.

The plausibility of sugar addiction and its role in obesity and eating disorders
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261561409002398

Some highlights:
    2. Sugar and reward mechanisms
    Summary

•Addictive drugs and palatable food both release dopamine from the nucleus accumbens.
    •The nucleus accumbens has different populations of neurones that are activated by natural and drug reinforcement. The release of dopamine by natural rewards, unlike drugs of abuse, undergoes rapid habituation.
    •Although the food-induced release of dopamine is markedly inhibited by pre-exposure to visual and olfactory stimuli that have been conditioned to food, similar visual and olfactory stimuli that had previously been conditioned to drugs of abuse strongly potentiate the dopaminergic reaction.
    •The suggestion, based on the animal evidence, is not that palatable foods are physically addictive but rather that a particular style of eating can produce a reaction to food that is similar to the response to drugs of abuse.

3. Is sugar addictive in humans?
    Summary

•If physical addiction plays a role in the consumption of sugar then various phenomena associated with addiction, for example craving and tolerance, would be predicted to be observed.
    •Most people experience food cravings at one time or another, most commonly for items high in fat or containing a mixture of fat and sugar.
    •Fasting leads to a decline in craving and not an increase as the addiction model predicts.
    •Food cravings occur to a greater extent later in the day while the addiction model predicts, as occurs with drugs of abuse, that they should also occur early in the morning.
    •Food craving, particularly for chocolate, occurs more towards the end of the menstrual cycle, whereas the menstrual cycle does not influence the reaction to drugs of abuse.
    •Exposure to sweet tastes may increase food preference although the phenomenon is associated with a particular form of a particular food. Rather than tolerance it is probable that we develop expectations about the taste of specific food items.
    •Children like intensely sweet tastes, a preference that declines during adolescence, a finding inconsistent with the development of tolerance.

2) The "willpower vs. addiction" argument is officially under my skin, so here goes a rant on MY personal experience (after all, that's all that matters the great sugar debate, right? /sarcasm):
    I am recovering from an eating disorder, and have been "in recovery" for years. I will never consider myself "recovered" because I don't see myself being in a place where reverting to these habits when I'm upset or stressed isn't tempting. I struggle with purging, and sometimes binging and purging. Purging is something I learned, and the routine initially went like this:
    -I am in a bad place mentally
    -I unintentionally or intentionally eat too much
    -I purge

Over time, it changed to:
    -I am in a bad place mentally, so I purge
    -I overate, so I purge

I trained myself to think of purging as the correct response to either of those situations. To this day, I have a desire to purge any time I feel overfull, even if I didn't overeat per my calories. Yes, ok, that's great, what does this have to do with what we're talking about? I personally would not call my compulsive behavior of purging an addiction (though maybe some would; defining addiction is probably best left to the other sugar thread), but it took much more than willpower for me to stop. I had to develop a set of tools, including a support system and calorie counting, to either avoid getting to a place where my brain was screaming at me and utterly consuming all my thoughts and not letting me sleep until I threw up, or to handle it healthily when I was in that place.

There are steps between "I have willpower, so I can moderate how much sugar I eat" and "I absolutely cannot moderate, so therefore I must be addicted to jelly beans." Compulsive behavior does not mean there is something physically wrong with you, but it also doesn't mean that just because you can't moderate you're weak-willed. It means you need to try something other than moderation. Which is fine. If abstinence is what works for you, do that.

Scientific evidence still does not show sugar as a physically addictive substance, ever. If a very small portion of the population do have some sort of completely abnormal, as of yet scientifically inexplicable mechanism that makes jelly beans truly addictive, this still does not make sugar a major cause of obesity. The major causes of obesity are overconsumption in general, sedentary lifestyles, lack of nutrition education, and shift in culture toward convenience foods. Not a single, demonized food type.

3) I think this article, and the response lemur posted to it back on page 1, illustrate how society and politics get tunnel vision about science relating to nutrition. The Seven Countries Study gathered and published a lot of data, with varied statistical correlations. Somehow all of that got reduced down to "fat is bad, don't eat it!" and studies upon studies looking for ways to show how bad fat is for you. Now we've got a whole bunch of rat studies and brain scans and the word "dopamine," so therefore SUGAR IS A DRUG AAAAAAH, and the same thing is happening again. We could be focusing our energy and money on combating our tendencies to overeat and our sedentary lifestyles, but we'd rather find a scapegoat.

Here. These are all the hugs I have.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the hugs and kind comments. It really is appreciated.
  • all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sugar and fat both are harmful in excess, the key question is whether or not they have been tested simultaneously in a randomized and controlled double-blind study.

Water and oxygen are both harmful in excess.

I may have entered into a cliche territory but the point I was trying to make was that it is not the question of pitting one against the other[sugar vs. fat]. But, taking a holistic approach to confirm and mitigate the effects, if any, by the overconsumption of food.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sugar and fat both are harmful in excess, the key question is whether or not they have been tested simultaneously in a randomized and controlled double-blind study.

Water and oxygen are both harmful in excess.

I may have entered into a cliche territory but the point I was trying to make was that it is not the question of pitting one against the other[sugar vs. fat]. But, taking a holistic approach to confirm and mitigate the effects, if any, by the overconsumption of food.

i.e. CICO
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I agree with labeling added sugars. I don't live in USA. I can taste the sweetness of sugar though. So to me anyway its pretty evident when something is sweetened vs unsweetened.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Are we going around and around in circles over sugar on this thread?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Are we going around and around in circles over sugar on this thread?

You must be new here.