Cauliflower Doughnut thread

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    I tried googling 'cauliflower donuts' to see if I could find her exact recipe and I failed. However, I'll share this 'donut' recipe with y'all because even though I don't like eggs it sounds like it would be pretty tasty!

Cauliflower Rosemary Egg 'Donuts'

Wow, those look revolting!
    Wow, those look don't look anything like a donut.

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    It's like when people re-create a simple alternative recipe thread JUST to continue bashing a vegetable and then try to pass themselves off as a classically trained chef...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-20122-1362150095-1_preview.gif
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is a professional in the kitchen should embrace this as an opportunity to improve this recipe they don't agree with instead of whining about the label of it. It's obviously not literally the definition of doughnut if it's not fried, but does that matter if you can make it taste good? Just put mental quotes around "doughnut" when you see it here.
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is a professional in the kitchen should embrace this as an opportunity to improve this recipe they don't agree with instead of whining about the label of it. It's obviously not literally the definition of doughnut if it's not fried, but does that matter if you can make it taste good? Just put mental quotes around "doughnut" when you see it here.

Doughnuts actually don't need to be fried to be considered doughnuts. Cake doughnuts are merely baked in this case it'd be like a kind of quick bread batter instead of a tradition yeast raised method that needs to be fried! :)

I believe the recipe maker was attempting to emulate that kind but because the ingredients are a mixture of random ingredients that were done for her tastes and probably weren't tested to make sure it's consistent, the outcome would be that it probably wouldn't work if someone else were to make it and they had any kind of variable in their attempt. The recipe also only yielding two small doughnuts so it would also be expensive for the person making them, therefore if they were to make it and they didn't work they would also be out of money. My question for her recipe was what was the purpose of the baking powder? Did she throw it in their to hope it would make the batter rise or did it actually work?

Not gonna lie though this has kind of inspired me to want to put up some of the healthy/allergy sensitive/gluten-free baking recipes that have been tried, tested, and published by my school.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Every definition of doughnut I've just read says they're fried. Cake doughnuts are fried, it's just a different batter. It may be a doughnut shaped cake if you bake it, but so far it's not a doughnut.

And yes, experiement! What if you came up with something that was amazing and actually MFP approved? The world could change for many people.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    This is some heated cauliflower controversy. Donut dilemma. I'm ok with carrot cake; it works.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    Every definition of doughnut I've just read says they're fried. Cake doughnuts are fried, it's just a different batter. It may be a doughnut shaped cake if you bake it, but so far it's not a doughnut.

And yes, experiement! What if you came up with something that was amazing and actually MFP approved? The world could change for many people.

Then what the hell was I making at the restaurant I was working at :o

Yeah that'd be cool I could probably get permission to use one of the bakeshops we have on off-hours to test some stuff. That'd be nice :'(
  • PurringMyrrh
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What if you started with freeze dried cauliflower and ground it to a powdery flour substance? I didn't see the original recipe, but it seems like most caulirecipes start with the moister "riced" 'flower...

And I assume whatever you made at the restaurant was delicious despite it's label. A tasty sweet is a tasty sweet regardless. :)
  • PurringMyrrh
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • actualbettycrocker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What if you started with freeze dried cauliflower and ground it to a powdery flour substance? I didn't see the original recipe, but it seems like most caulirecipes start with the moister "riced" 'flower...

And I assume whatever you made at the restaraunt was delicious despite it's label. A tasty sweet is a tasty sweet regardless. :)

I'm not sure I'd have to see how much moisture comes out of the cauliflower (I've only roasted them never baked with them). I think the frozen riced cauliflower would work well if it was used as an additive rather than a base, like when you freeze blueberries before putting them in muffins to keep them from sinking. But if I'm totally talking out of my *kitten* over here and it doesn't have that much moisture than yeah I think if you ground it up like people grind up almonds to make macarons it'd be something to start with. Non gluten flours that could work for people wanting to bake "healthier" are: rice, corn, soy, tapioca, beans/legumes, flax, buckwheat, sorghum, quinoa, arrowroot, amaranth, Millet, Indian rice grass, Teff, wild rice, almond meal, and other nut flours.

It was sooo good my chef made this glaze for it that was incredible.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I like to cut the crust off a slice of white bread and then roll it into a ball and eat it

If you roll it into an O shape then you have a doughnut! o:)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It's like when people add "...'tini" to the name of some stupid drink just because it's in a martini glass.

Don't get me started on chocolate-"tinis"! Martinis are sacred. The only choices are gin vs vodka (ok, not really, it's gin), and olive vs a twist (choose both), and shaken vs stirred.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    This is pretty intense, but it's no hairy pits thread.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    mweckler wrote: »
    Am I the MFP Mario Batali? If so gross. I understand people needing to be on a specific diet for health reasons. But trying to pass off a cauliflower infused protein powder mixture as a doughnut is not right.

Only of you know that you are not really Mario Batalli.

It's ok, they are not real donuts! (I think the real Mario Batalli knows the difference).

Now can you let people enjoy their cauliflower recipe?

P.S. Are you grossed at Mario Batalli?

I know a few things about him, through work gatherings and yes a little.

I am not Mario Batalli, and I am very ok with that. I know these are not real doughnuts, which was my point to get people to stop calling them doughnuts. People are free to enjoy the cauliflower doughnuts if they so choose. I was just voicing my opinion on the topic, as you are voicing yours. I have seen people take these special diets, and oddly specific foods to amazing levels.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Who are you guys, the food police of MFP? If you don't like somebody posting a cauliflower donut recipe, move on and click away children!

Speaking of "children", I didn't see anybody name-calling until you came in?

Perhaps not name calling but a lot of childish attitude about it. Not a nice conversation about the recipe but up in arms to bring down the recipe in the name of the saintity of food.

I am waiting for MFP Mario Batali's PhD dissertation about why cauliflower pizza it's not really a pizza!

Obviously this is not a real donut, it's a treat for people who are on specific food plans. Same with cauliflower pizza, cauliflower rice etc etc... duh

Am I the MFP Mario Batali? If so gross. I understand people needing to be on a specific diet for health reasons. But trying to pass off a cauliflower infused protein powder mixture as a doughnut is not right.

Where's that food cost tho >:)

Sorry my cook has called off every day this week, so I am pulling double duty, as executive chef, and production cook. As soon as I am able I will get it together.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    Who are you guys, the food police of MFP? If you don't like somebody posting a cauliflower donut recipe, move on and click away children!

Speaking of "children", I didn't see anybody name-calling until you came in?

Perhaps not name calling but a lot of childish attitude about it. Not a nice conversation about the recipe but up in arms to bring down the recipe in the name of the saintity of food.

I am waiting for MFP Mario Batali's PhD dissertation about why cauliflower pizza it's not really a pizza!

Obviously this is not a real donut, it's a treat for people who are on specific food plans. Same with cauliflower pizza, cauliflower rice etc etc... duh

Where's that food cost tho >:)

Sorry my cook has called off every day this week, so I am pulling double duty, as executive chef, and production cook. As soon as I am able I will get it together.

Oh god I'm so sorry. That's the actual worst. :'(
  • mweckler
    Options
    Yes, normally I would not mind but I have been under the weather which makes double duty even worse.