People who don't get it but think they do.

Options
SomeShenanigans
SomeShenanigans Posts: 27 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Just a general complaint about those people in your life that see you're dieting or working out and have never done either of the above but decide their opinions are of value. People who think a heaping plate of spaghetti with meat sauce marinara qualifies as "diet food" just because it's not from McDonalds and think there's maybe probably around 100 calories in an average slice of pizza.

For instance, "are you sure you should eat that?"@ anything that isn't green in color when you've been problematically eating less than 1200 calories each day already. "You're already done running?" after ten minutes when you're feeling sick and your ipod died. Asking for advice or just generally discussing your weight loss regimen with friends and families only to have them say things like "maybe you should do more though?" when you know what you're doing is already considerably not the healthiest weight-loss method.

Then trying to explain this stuff so they stop saying stuff like that and the only thing they get out of it is that one day I ate under 700 calories and their reaction to that is "that's good though! keep it up! the less you eat, the faster you'll lose!" from people who haven't the slightest idea how little food 700 calories actually is for a whole day. Trying to explain to them how little that actually is and then having them become uninterested only to make the same comments the next day.

Anyone else have annoying people like this?

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    No. I generally keep my goals to myself.

Ditto! I don't need or want anyone's opinions.
  • SomeShenanigans
    edited May 2016
    Options

I don't even talk about it unless I feel a need after someone makes a comment, or if they demand an explanation for why I don't want to go out to eat. But they /see/ it, as I live with them and they always have something to say about it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you in their face about dieting?
  • SomeShenanigans
    Options
    I mean did you guys even read the examples of what happens...? I'm talking about people noticing me doing certain things and always having something to say about it. I never said I was shaming them for not knowing the stuff-- but I do wish they would realize they don't know what they're talking about and let me do what I'm doing without needing to give their condescending two cents.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nope, I've never run into this. People tend to run into this kind of thing when they start telling others that they are dieting, starting to exercise, etc. I'm don't do that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I mean did you guys even read the examples of what happens...? I'm talking about people noticing me doing certain things and always having something to say about it. I never said I was shaming them for not knowing the stuff-- but I do wish they would realize they don't know what they're talking about and let me do what I'm doing without needing to give their condescending two cents.

People only do to you what you let them. I'm kinda crazy and people tend to not say dumb *kitten* to me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yes I've had people tell me I needed to eat clean...and they won't eat butter..only margarine...

I refuse to discuss it with them if they are going to be hypocrites.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well I do know if the examples involve you, you probably SHOULD eat more than 700 calories a day and quit with the unhealthy dieting non-sense. That's only short term results and long term destruction.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have never once had anyone say anything condescending to me about my exercise and diet. If they did, I would give it no mind.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Well I do know if the examples involve you, you probably SHOULD eat more than 700 calories a day and quit with the unhealthy dieting non-sense. That's only short term results and long term destruction.

Ohhhhh so there's more to the story.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I do have some people in my life like that but they are only casual acquaintances so their opinions do not matter. My ex-husband used to tell me I was too fat (he was a little more diplomatic but the meaning was the same) so I would tell him I would start a diet. He would hear me say that, get up, go to the store and buy a gallon of my favorite ice cream and eat it in front of me. His rationale? I would have to get used to seeing others eating in front of me, anyway, I might as well start now.

I see my oldest son once or twice a month so my weight loss seems more dramatic to him than my other kids. He has asked my youngest son repeatedly if I am throwing up (bulimia) or refusing to eat (anorexia). No, I'm just working out like crazy and staying within my calorie allowance. Oh well, at least he cares.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Options
    @queenliz99 Haha, when I first started some months ago, my family would always joke around, "Ooh, guess you're off your diet" when I ate something and it wasn't considered salad. Over time they've learned that I don't have to eat the pasture to lose weight. c; Since then, I haven't had to deal with anything.
  • SomeShenanigans
    Options

Maybe you should check on your reading comprehension. The person who said this was suggesting I continue eating less than 700 calories a day.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Options
    He would hear me say that, get up, go to the store and buy a gallon of my favorite ice cream and eat it in front of me. His rationale? I would have to get used to seeing others eating in front of me, anyway, I might as well start now.

My god, what an *kitten* lmao. I'm happy this guy is the ex in your life now!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You're in control of your body. Don't sweat the haters.

I do think in general that the less information you put out there the better, cause they'll use it against you casually.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I don't even talk about it unless I feel a need after someone makes a comment, or if they demand an explanation for why I don't want to go out to eat. But they /see/ it, as I live with them and they always have something to say about it.

You still don't have to talk about it.. but you feel the need to after comments and demanding an explanation? demanding?

It may be age, but I stopped worrying about other people, what they do and think and what they say along time ago. Life is much easier this way!
  • SomeShenanigans
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do have some people in my life like that but they are only casual acquaintances so their opinions do not matter. My ex-husband used to tell me I was too fat (he was a little more diplomatic but the meaning was the same) so I would tell him I would start a diet. He would hear me say that, get up, go to the store and buy a gallon of my favorite ice cream and eat it in front of me. His rationale? I would have to get used to seeing others eating in front of me, anyway, I might as well start now.

I see my oldest son once or twice a month so my weight loss seems more dramatic to him than my other kids. He has asked my youngest son repeatedly if I am throwing up (bulimia) or refusing to eat (anorexia). No, I'm just working out like crazy and staying within my calorie allowance. Oh well, at least he cares.

This is along the lines of the kind of behavior I was referring to. That really blows... I see why your ex-husband is an ex.
  • randomtai
    Options

Maybe you should check on your reading comprehension. The person who said this was suggesting I continue eating less than 700 calories a day.

Mhmm. And how did they know how many calories you ate? Keep it to yourself.
This discussion has been closed.