People who don't get it but think they do.

Options

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I don't have people like this in my life, so I can't directly relate.

I would say you need to stand up for yourself. If they start with negative comments, tell them you are not going to discuss your weight, diet, or exercise with them. If they keep going, tell them they are being rude or dumb and you are done with them, then walk away. If they ask questions about your diet, don't answer. Shut them down.
  • SomeShenanigans
    SomeShenanigans Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You guys are hilariously antagonistic about this, sore spot much? But thanks.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to have so many who fully support me and my new lifestyle. There is one person though who always has one or two negative things to tell me...such as "when are you going to start to eat real food again?" And by 'real', she means junk food and other crap, lol! And...she's mentioned a couple of times about my loose skin on my upper arms, asking me if I'm going to get those fixed. Bah humbug to negative people. I choose to be happy and confident in my new and healthy life.
  • SomeShenanigans
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm lucky to have so many who fully support me and my new lifestyle. There is one person though who always has one or two negative things to tell me...such as "when are you going to start to eat real food again?" And by 'real', she means junk food and other crap, lol! And...she's mentioned a couple of times about my loose skin on my upper arms, asking me if I'm going to get those fixed. Bah humbug to negative people. I choose to be happy and confident in my new and healthy life.

Sounds like the way to go! I've been periodically trying to maintain a healthier diet over the past few years and every time I start working out (which I do at home) I have to deal with nosey negativity. Probably do need to just learn to ignore it.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This thread smells like the ocean.
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options

i lost a lot of weight...so i didnt have to tell anyone i was "dieting."
    i get what youre saying. people CAN BE annoying in real life...and on here as well. ;)

i drank a smoothie in front of someone the other day (with OJ, spinach, strawberries, greek yogurt, and protein powder) like as a snack and they very condescendingly asked if i eat solid food anymore.

and i can totally identify with you when people give their opinion or make snarky remarks like, "that isn't on your diet, is it?"
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Off topic but DAYUM those arms!
    <3
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate

Lovers gonna love

Real recognize real

We all be a little jealous and by giving advise we can steal some credit for your success ;)
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people will comment and lend advice because they don't know what else to say when it's brought up (same with most things). People tend to think that others are always looking for advice when they really just want to talk about whatever it is. I find it helpful to tell people that I am not looking for advice but just someone to listen to what I am experiencing or what I am going through and usually that takes the burden off them to try and find a way to "fix" it or "help" with the situation.
  • SomeShenanigans
    Options
    I mean did you guys even read the examples of what happens...? I'm talking about people noticing me doing certain things and always having something to say about it. I never said I was shaming them for not knowing the stuff-- but I do wish they would realize they don't know what they're talking about and let me do what I'm doing without needing to give their condescending two cents.

If you are eating under 1,200 cals (and by your own admission at times as low as 700), I would venture to guess that you don't know what you're doing, either.

This happened one day when I was busy with a personal business and forgot about food, it was an off-handed example of something annoying someone said. Stop getting so hung up on it.
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Off topic but DAYUM those arms!
    <3

preshate it mane
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I mean did you guys even read the examples of what happens...? I'm talking about people noticing me doing certain things and always having something to say about it. I never said I was shaming them for not knowing the stuff-- but I do wish they would realize they don't know what they're talking about and let me do what I'm doing without needing to give their condescending two cents.

If you are eating under 1,200 cals (and by your own admission at times as low as 700), I would venture to guess that you don't know what you're doing, either.

Good point.. I saw the 700 calories and missed the "continue eating less" part.. I interpreted it that "they" just thought OP was eating that much out of assumption..
  • SomeShenanigans
    Options

i get what youre saying. people CAN BE annoying in real life...and on here as well. ;)

i drank a smoothie in front of someone the other day (with OJ, spinach, strawberries, greek yogurt, and protein powder) like as a snack and they very condescendingly asked if i eat solid food anymore.

and i can totally identify with you when people give their opinion or make snarky remarks like, "that isn't on your diet, is it?"

Oh JESUS I remember when I first started making smoothies. I put greek yogurt in it and the individual who this post is largely about had to remind me that yogurt has fat in it, after checking the container to see if it said "fat free."
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ask them to run with you tomorrow to help you keep going longer!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Since you say these are people you live with, are we talking parents and/or siblings that are making these comments? If so, I'm sure they are genuinely concerned for your health but you ARE an adult and IF you are losing weight in a healthy manner then you need to be firm, consistent, and stand your ground.

If you are under-eating then they are probably worried, and rightly so. Sounds like from the comments they make they don't know a whole lot about nutrition and food content but if you all live together (and will be doing so for a while) I suggest you speak to them about what does and what doesn't help you. It's all about communication.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I used to try to explain my actions to people who didn't understand, but it never accomplished anything other than frustration. Now I just say "Different things work for different people- this works for me" or straight-up, "eh, it's not something I really like talking about," depending on who's making the comment. Then I tell myself- let the results speak for themselves. It helps keep me on track too because I want to be able to show that hey- what I'm doing works, no starvation or 5-hour gym-a-thons necessary!

Even if I do want to respond to a lame comment (maybe because it was made by a good friend with good intentions)- I won't let it get to me. One friend once told me I should avoid bananas because they're "the worst fruit." I just laughed and said "Yeah but I didn't get fat because of a banana addiction!" We both laughed and that was the end of that. I've found that explaining and justifying invites debate and more questions next time.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Oh JESUS I remember when I first started making smoothies. I put greek yogurt in it and the individual who this post is largely about had to remind me that yogurt has fat in it, after checking the container to see if it said "fat free."

OP are you talking about yourself in this thread or someone else?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My MIL is like this, always has to comment. She also simpers which is more annoying. I ignore her for the most part. When she's gotten on my last nerve, I yell at her "NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK" which doesn't shut her up, but I do feel better for having yelled.
This discussion has been closed.