People who don't get it but think they do.

Options

Replies

• SomeShenanigans
    SomeShenanigans Posts: 27 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My MIL is like this, always has to comment. She also simpers which is more annoying. I ignore her for the most part. When she's gotten on my last nerve, I yell at her "NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK" which doesn't shut her up, but I do feel better for having yelled.

That's the way to go! And that's what I always /fee/ liking doing. Sometimes I wanna but I'm tiny and quiet and I've always been kind of soft-spoken and conflict-avoidy.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This thread sort of went south when I saw that OP (who may not be OP) was eating 700 calories less (and not described as just a one day thing) and then explained this post was about another individual.

So naturally the content in this thread from the person that wrote the OP are suspect at best.
  • SomeShenanigans
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This thread sort of went south when I saw that OP (who may not be OP) was eating 700 calories less (and not described as just a one day thing) and then explained this post was about another individual.

So naturally the content in this thread from the person that wrote the OP are suspect at best.

...I'm not sure where you're getting this but this isn't what is happening at all please read with your eyeballs or something? I've literally said multiple times that the 700 calories was a one day thing. What are you reading?
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Some people are going to "comment" -- however you're interpreting it, they might actually be "criticizing" you as you think they are, or they might just be trying to engage you in conversation on a topic they assume will be interesting to you.

In either case, it's entirely up to you whether to argue with them about it, or just smile and change the subject. Feeling victimized by other people expressing ideas you disagree with is entirely on you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I mean did you guys even read the examples of what happens...? I'm talking about people noticing me doing certain things and always having something to say about it. I never said I was shaming them for not knowing the stuff-- but I do wish they would realize they don't know what they're talking about and let me do what I'm doing without needing to give their condescending two cents.

If you are eating under 1,200 cals (and by your own admission at times as low as 700), I would venture to guess that you don't know what you're doing, either.

This happened one day when I was busy with a personal business and forgot about food, it was an off-handed example of something annoying someone said. Stop getting so hung up on it.

Why would you tell people you'd only eaten 700 calories for them to comment though?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You guys are hilariously antagonistic about this, sore spot much? But thanks.

i lost a lot of weight...so i didnt have to tell anyone i was "dieting."
    i get what youre saying. people CAN BE annoying in real life...and on here as well. ;)

i drank a smoothie in front of someone the other day (with OJ, spinach, strawberries, greek yogurt, and protein powder) like as a snack and they very condescendingly asked if i eat solid food anymore.

and i can totally identify with you when people give their opinion or make snarky remarks like, "that isn't on your diet, is it?"

Oh JESUS I remember when I first started making smoothies. I put greek yogurt in it and the individual who this post is largely about had to remind me that yogurt has fat in it, after checking the container to see if it said "fat free."

OP are you talking about yourself in this thread or someone else?

She's talking about the person in her life that makes the most annoying comments to her. Or so I think. Guess I should let the OP respond.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Roxie, have many times have you been told?
    Stop reading with your nose.
  • SomeShenanigans
    Options
    I mean did you guys even read the examples of what happens...? I'm talking about people noticing me doing certain things and always having something to say about it. I never said I was shaming them for not knowing the stuff-- but I do wish they would realize they don't know what they're talking about and let me do what I'm doing without needing to give their condescending two cents.

If you are eating under 1,200 cals (and by your own admission at times as low as 700), I would venture to guess that you don't know what you're doing, either.

This happened one day when I was busy with a personal business and forgot about food, it was an off-handed example of something annoying someone said. Stop getting so hung up on it.

Why would you tell people you'd only eaten 700 calories for them to comment though?

Because it was a friend and I mentioned how refreshing it was to eat a good breakfast mentioning that I barely ate anything the day before and this person has been looking over my shoulder multiple times in the past while I'm logging calories so they literally asked how many I ate that day and I said 700 and they started telling me how great that was.

Sorry I don't understand this weird obsessive don't ask/don't tell crap you guys follow religiously when it comes to switching up your diet.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Options
    Because if you tell, then you get asked.
    If you ask, then you get told.

All which are things you're complaining about.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Because it was a friend and I mentioned how refreshing it was to eat a good breakfast mentioning that I barely ate anything the day before and this person has been looking over my shoulder multiple times in the past while I'm logging calories so they literally asked how many I ate that day and I said 700 and they started telling me how great that was.

Sorry I don't understand this weird obsessive don't ask/don't tell crap you guys follow religiously when it comes to switching up your diet.

And yet you wonder why people are giving their opinions. Does not compute.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I used to have those people in my life, maybe I still do, but I would guess they have just given up saying anything to my face. I have learned to just tune them out. I smile, I tell them I have done my research and am comfortable doing what I am doing and it is working for me and I change the subject. If they want to have a serious conversation about what I am doing I will tell them, but I am very comfortable in my own skin with what I am doing.

I have failed often enough to know what doesn't work. I have been losing weight for over a year. Not at a rapid pace, but I have been losing and I will continue to lose because I have a plan to keep changing my lifestyle to a healthier one small piece by small piece and they are all permanent changes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Well for me none of my friends or work colleagues give a flying fig how much I eat, so they don't ask and I don't tell...

Plus if I got annoyed by people commenting on what I eat (as you seem to do) I would stop telling them....
  • SomeShenanigans
    Options
    Because if you tell, then you get asked.
    If you ask, then you get told.

All which are things you're complaining about.

Right. Good. You read a single sentence out of an entire thread, I'm happy for you.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Well for me none of my friends or work colleagues give a flying fig how much I eat, so they don't ask and I don't tell...

Plus if I got annoyed by people commenting on what I eat (as you seem to do) I would stop telling them....

So much this.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Options
    Sometimes I wanna but I'm tiny and quiet and I've always been kind of soft-spoken and conflict-avoidy.
    Until people don't agree with them or tell them what they want to hear.
    It's been a ride of insults from the beginning.
    :D
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Asking for advice or just generally discussing your weight loss regimen with friends and families only to have them say things like "maybe you should do more though?" when you know what you're doing is already considerably not the healthiest weight-loss method.[ /quote]

Not bothered by people.
    If I don't want to discuss something then I don't bring it up or ask advice on it. If someone is annoying me I change the subject, tell them to drop it or leave. This applies to all kinds of things from food to parenting. I do not have to defend or explain any of my choices to people who just want to argue or criticize.
    However, if you know what you are doing isn't healthy then stop it. If you want to lose weight in a healthy way MFP is a great tool to use. People here can give you great advice on losing weight in a healthy way.
  • SomeShenanigans
    Options
    Literally everyone here is getting super hung up on whether I off-handedly mention that I'm paying attention to my food in-take and exercise regimen to the people around me like it's some kind of crime because you all got on a high horse in the beginning and you're too proud of yourselves to get down. Chill.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I got this a lot when I was losing weight. I didn't talk about my goals, weight loss, etc. But I lost close to 80 pounds, so people noticed. And I often got lots of comments on what I ate, didn't eat, my weight (what they thought my goal should be! ) Most people really have no clue what a healthy diet is, how many calories are in the foods they eat, nor what a healthy body weight looks like. More often any comments others make, is really just about themselves, and what they need to tell themselves to feel better. Very little actually has to do with you.
This discussion has been closed.