Any great shakes?

Options
rashel1
rashel1 Posts: 145 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Any good shakes or smoothies to keep you going through your workouts or after?

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    If there were diet pills or drinks that worked there wouldn't be an "obesity crisis".
  • rashel1
    rashel1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For sure, not looking for a quick fix....... just something with nutritional value that helps people keep energy and workout.... smoothies, shakes, teas, idk
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Calories matter. Everything else is window dressing or a waste of your time and/or money.

Get your calories in versus calories out right and you will hit your goals.

SlimFast: From the people who have used it on here it seems to be difficult to sustain over a long period of time and even when used in short bursts people report weight gain when replacing the shakes with meals.

Green Tea: Similar to coffee and black tea - the stimulation effects are minimal and certainly make little to zero difference for weight loss. If you like them, go ahead and drink them, but do not fall for the false assumption that they improve or drive weight loss.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have a job where I can't leave my desk. I drink FitMiss shakes from Amazon with some PB2 powder and bring a salad and that gets me through.
  • Gerbsxyng412
    Gerbsxyng412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have found a very nutritional one that my dr, trainer and obgyn were impressed with, I don't want to name drop so I will pm you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing multi-hour endurance cardio then what you eat/drink during or after a workout has an insignificant impact on your workout compared to your overall diet.
    Focus on your nutrition as a whole and avoid an excessive deficit to maintain energy and performance.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have an Atkins after I exercise on the drive home. It is about 4 hours since I ate lunch and I have a 45 minute drive so it's an easy snack.
  • Enny2405
    Enny2405 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love my cookies and cream protein with a teaspoon of cadbury drinking chocolate. Yum!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    rashel1 wrote: »
    For sure, not looking for a quick fix....... just something with nutritional value that helps people keep energy and workout.... smoothies, shakes, teas, idk

That would be food, not tea.
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Honestly - people if you have nothing positive or supportive to say don't bother replying - OP only asked for advise ! I'm doing slim fast - but I'm dieting too! My friend is using protein shakes and gym work outs - USN from Holland and barrat uk it was recommended by her trainer x
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Enny is that PhD woman shakes?
  • piscesm0m
    piscesm0m Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use ideal shake and meal replacement bars. They taste good and fill me up. I have a shake in the am before my workout because with getting the kids off to school I don't have time to prepare myself a healthy meal. Then I have a bar during the day between lunch and dinner when I'm on the run.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Our peeps at the hospital use Unjury. I use a vegan organic and I can't remember the name but It is from walmart. it doesn't mix well requires a blender but the specs are great it is sweet and using the vanilla I put in frozen strawberries. I tried eas chocolate and couldn't get past the protein texture.
    *its called Orgain the one I use
  • Move4Abs
    Move4Abs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For energy and a fun taste, I use water flavoring with caffeine. Personally, I like to push hard and the slight sweetness is a great pick-me-up that makes me smiles as I squat and look forward to the next sip :) IsoNatural or a Quest bar afterwards if no real food is available. I've also heard good things about a supplement named "Spark".
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The only shake I use is whey blended with half a banana, peanut butter, and my morning cup of coffee. I don't like working out if I've eaten recently, but I'd probably get too lightheaded if I did it fasted. So this is what gets me through a hard workout, without vomiting or passing out.

But I don't know exactly what your original question is. My shake is kinda high calorie, not intended to make me lose weight, accelerate metabolism or do any other things that some shakes are (falsely) advertised to do.