How many women actually workout with weights

Options

Replies

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I lift 4-6 days a week. I have done 1RM at people's prodding, but I generally do a bodybuilding style weight training and have done for years. I go to the gym to lift and tell myself because I got to lift, I have to do HIIT or cardio, lol. I also try and encourage girls on every thread to lift. I think it gives you more goals to work towards when the scale stalls and you become less beholden to the scale. 140 lbs can look a lot different on a girl that lifts than one that doesn't :)
  • Loco_Beast
    Loco_Beast Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I weight train. I lost 30-40 lbs doing it and got tiny, and then even purposely bulked and still didn't look bulky (though a bit chunky).

Congratulations, on your weight loss, you look great. Keep up the great work.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I do weights 3 to 4 days a week, and I dont see any difference. I do want my arms to get firm. Is there something safe out there I could also add to my diet to gain muscle?

In addition to the questions above - what kind of weights are you using and are you following a program?

You should be lifting a weight that is very challenging on your last rep. You should be able to complete the lift (with good form), but it should be hard to do. If you can do 3x8 (or 5x5 or 3x10 or whatever the program you are using specifies) and still feel like you could do a couple more when your done - you need to pick a heavier weight. If you do not fatigue your muscles you are just gaining endurance.

+1 on this. You have to work to failure if you want to improve!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Loco_Beast wrote: »
    luluinca wrote: »
    I'm 66 years old and have been lifting for almost two years. I'm coming off a shoulder and a hip injury so I'm just now working my way back up to higher weight. My leg press is at 490 right now, first time back at squat yesterday was only 75 but my deads are at 145.........working toward my best of 185. Can't do OHP yet but started chest and shoulder press to work my way back up on my bench. Injuries suck though!

Oh and I'm not bulky either!

This is AWESOME, This kind of post is so motivating, makes me want to go to the gym right now! Congratulations on your progress, and good luck on the rest of your journey.

Thanks. I have a trainer again and I'm working my butt off.....or building my butt..........whatever!
  • Loco_Beast
    Loco_Beast Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    I lift 4-6 days a week. I have done 1RM at people's prodding, but I generally do a bodybuilding style weight training and have done for years. I go to the gym to lift and tell myself because I got to lift, I have to do HIIT or cardio, lol. I also try and encourage girls on every thread to lift. I think it gives you more goals to work towards when the scale stalls and you become less beholden to the scale. 140 lbs can look a lot different on a girl that lifts than one that doesn't :)

That's great, I also like HIIT for cardio, treadmills and stair master are boring to me. In my workout any rest period is 30 seconds, I do 6 sets, of 6 exercises for each body part at 10-12 reps. This is what I have found my body responds to best right now. I actually worked out with a younger woman that is preparing for her first physiques show the other night on shoulders, and she wore my old butt out. I'll workout with anyone, I find that is motivating to have someone who shares your level of intensity, especially on those days it's hard to get going due to everyday life. And I know what you mean about weight, some of the advice I have given to beginners (women) is to stay off the scale, let your mirror and your clothes show you the progress. I have guys at work that have asked me how much I weigh in general conversation about working out and they find it hard to believe I weigh as much as I do. I'm 245, and most figure I'm about 215-220. Congratulations and good luck
  • a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 5 days a week for about an hour :) "Lift like a man to look like a goddess" right?!

I got into lifting as a college ice hockey player, got really into it after having my 1st baby... After baby 2 and 3 I let life get in the way and almost never made it to the gym. My youngest is 3 now and I just got back into lifting 3 months ago. It's a little discouraging maxing with my old warm up weights but I'm officially addicted again and I'll get back to my old self and then some!
  • Incrediblebulk75
    Incrediblebulk75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been working Stronglifts since November. Just starting to think about moving to an intermediate program. I am the least "bulky" I've ever been.

Current lifts - 1RM

Squats - 250 lbs
    Bench - 145 lbs
    Deads - 245 lbs

That was back in March. I'm sure I'll blow that out of the water next time I try 1RM.

You should look at Candito's linear program or his 6 week program. They're a couple of the more solid intermediate powerlifting programs out there and it's free on his page. Goodluck with the powerlifting :smiley:
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I lift 4-5 x a week. I do HIIT either prior to lifting or inbetween sets...like 45-60 seconds of burpees, high-knees, etc.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    I do weights 3 to 4 days a week, and I dont see any difference. I do want my arms to get firm. Is there something safe out there I could also add to my diet to gain muscle?

In addition to the questions above - what kind of weights are you using and are you following a program?

You should be lifting a weight that is very challenging on your last rep. You should be able to complete the lift (with good form), but it should be hard to do. If you can do 3x8 (or 5x5 or 3x10 or whatever the program you are using specifies) and still feel like you could do a couple more when your done - you need to pick a heavier weight. If you do not fatigue your muscles you are just gaining endurance.

+1 on this. You have to work to failure if you want to improve!

naw you don't have to work to failure.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Oh this? :yawn:
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I lift. Mostly focus on big lifts (squats, DL etc) with some accessory work. Any given time in my gym there's maybe 2 or 3 other women lifting and the rest guys. I started off by going to an accredited strength coach and ex competitor to get over the fear of not knowing what I was doing.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I do! I have a setup in my garage so that I can avoid the gym and the teenagers and young men who attend there and leave equiptment everywhere. I actually need to add to my plate collection as I am finally squatting and benching respectable weights. Sometimes my boys or husband join me, I wish they would more as having a spotter is so handy!!
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do! I have a setup in my garage so that I can avoid the gym and the teenagers and young men who attend there and leave equiptment everywhere. I actually need to add to my plate collection as I am finally squatting and benching respectable weights. Sometimes my boys or husband join me, I wish they would more as having a spotter is so handy!!

get a rack or have them in with you all the time.

Spotters are not optional they are mandatory for safety if you don't have a rack.

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

get a rack or have them in with you all the time.

Spotters are not optional they are mandatory for safety if you don't have a rack.

We have a setup of straps anchored to the ceiling to keep me from getting killed. They work as my rack if I cannot complete a rep. I can adjust them to the correct lengths as needed. When we built the house we actually had the floor joists engineered to accommodate that(not that I will ever be lifting enough to compromise 2 by 6 boards).

It would just be nice to have an extra set of hands as "help" once in awhile.
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    I do. Mainly with my trainer because none of my friends lift..or even go to the gym. :neutral: I needs him to spot me. Ha.

The rest of the time (alone) I use the machines or do cardio. Trying to get ready for law enforcement academy. :s

Me too!
    I have found most places are heading toward a rowing machine for initial physical fitness evaluation, I hope you don't have to work that in too @therealklane. Because that darn thing is the bane of my existence right now. :confounded:

@lilaclovebird
    Honestly, they gave me the impression that we will be doing a lot of hand to hand combat type of stuff. They didn't mention rows or even running, which lets be honest..don't play. We'll be running like a mofo.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    1Rune wrote: »
    I think "bulky" is probably pretty subjective and that the kind of muscle and shape you put on is going to depend on your body, your choice of rx, and the weight you train with. A woman can absolutely bulk up more than she wants to - I have, and I'm freakishly tall and long-limbed. I make crazy quads and went on a biceps bender a few years ago trying out new exercises, and (shockingly) wound up with biceps the size of softballs. I never even noticed until someone commented on my "guns", since I never stood around flexing in front of a mirror. I totally blame the preacher curls - which I still love, but I use lighter weights and go for distance reps instead of powering thru short reps/heavy weights, unless I really am interested in *building a muscle, like glutes, for instance.
    My general rule of thumb is isolation ex runs light, compound movements heavier, but that's probably a good plan for all kinds of reasons. Like "don't snap anything you might need to use tomorrow", lol.

Thank you for this. I've tried to express this sentiment but wasn't able to word it without offending people. I've started lifting, but it took me a good while to get motivated to dive in since I consistently saw women who I thought were bulky saying "look at me, I lift, and I'm not bulky".
    I've come to realize that the word "bulky" means different things to different people.
    I still believe that some form of weight training is important for everyone though, and especially as we get older to prevent muscle loss.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x/week. Started 3 months ago and wish I had started sooner! I've gotten noticeably smaller already.

There are actually lots of women who lift heavy at my gym--and most have bodies I'd kill for! One or two are a bit bigger/bulkier than I'd go for, but clearly they are choosing and training to get that look (and probably look way less "bulky" in regular clothes). To each her own.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    1Rune wrote: »
    I think "bulky" is probably pretty subjective and that the kind of muscle and shape you put on is going to depend on your body, your choice of rx, and the weight you train with. A woman can absolutely bulk up more than she wants to - I have, and I'm freakishly tall and long-limbed. I make crazy quads and went on a biceps bender a few years ago trying out new exercises, and (shockingly) wound up with biceps the size of softballs. I never even noticed until someone commented on my "guns", since I never stood around flexing in front of a mirror. I totally blame the preacher curls - which I still love, but I use lighter weights and go for distance reps instead of powering thru short reps/heavy weights, unless I really am interested in *building a muscle, like glutes, for instance.
    My general rule of thumb is isolation ex runs light, compound movements heavier, but that's probably a good plan for all kinds of reasons. Like "don't snap anything you might need to use tomorrow", lol.

Thank you for this. I've tried to express this sentiment but wasn't able to word it without offending people. I've started lifting, but it took me a good while to get motivated to dive in since I consistently saw women who I thought were bulky saying "look at me, I lift, and I'm not bulky".
    I've come to realize that the word "bulky" means different things to different people.
    I still believe that some form of weight training is important for everyone though, and especially as we get older to prevent muscle loss.

I think it's that sometimes one see a woman who lifts claiming not to be "bulky" but that woman is comfortable at a higher body fat% or is still trying to attain leanness. I see women who lift that are both over-muscled for my taste, but that is rare. More often than not I see women who lift who are still cutting, and the body fat % is just higher than I would want.

• alaine5377
    alaine5377 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I lift weights with cardio mixes. I don't lift to bulk. I'm toning right now so I stick with light stuff.