moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    56jsmmsplgwn.gif

Those are not real pull-ups no matter what anyone says. :)

Yep. Dead hang for life.

This is where people need to realize they are 2 distinct and separate movements. Well 3 if you count butterfly pull ups. Its not about which is a "real" pull up. Its about using the appropriate movement for the task at hand.

Next you're going to tell me push presses and military presses are different and one of those isn't wrong and/or cheating...

They are different which you admit by virtue of implying that one is wrong.

With regard to cheating, it depends on the function of the movement. With the push press, the goal is to move the weight from the shoulders to overhead in a safe, efficient and repeatable fashion. The push press meets all of those criteria. The military press does as well (for the most part), but is lacking in the efficiency part. The push press is more of a functional movement as well, which is a cornerstone of the CF concept. The ability to drive from the legs and through the torso to the arms is important for sports and other aspects of life.

The military press may very well be better at focused strength and body building goals. These are not normally an aspiration in the crossfit regimen.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wondered how long before we would get the required animated gif of someone doing kipping pullups. It's a different type of pullup. Some days we are required to do strict pullups. Some days it is a Chest to Bar pullup. Some days it is a muscle up. It is all a progression. A muscle up is a real world useful skill to have. Unlike the real world usefulness of a strict wrist curl.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    56jsmmsplgwn.gif

Yep. Dead hang for life.

This is where people need to realize they are 2 distinct and separate movements. Well 3 if you count butterfly pull ups. Its not about which is a "real" pull up. Its about using the appropriate movement for the task at hand.

Next you're going to tell me push presses and military presses are different and one of those isn't wrong and/or cheating...

With regard to cheating, it depends on the function of the movement. With the push press, the goal is to move the weight from the shoulders to overhead in a safe, efficient and repeatable fashion. The push press meets all of those criteria. The military press does as well (for the most part), but is lacking in the efficiency part. The push press is more of a functional movement as well, which is a cornerstone of the CF concept. The ability to drive from the legs and through the torso to the arms is important for sports and other aspects of life.

sarcasm-counts.jpg

I can't see the pic but if you are saying you were being sarcastic, then I apologize for not picking up on that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    56jsmmsplgwn.gif

Yep. Dead hang for life.

sarcasm-counts.jpg

I can't see the pic but if you are saying you were being sarcastic, then I apologize for not picking up on that.

Yes, it was completely tongue in cheek.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    56jsmmsplgwn.gif

Yep. Dead hang for life.

Because you're right. Push Press is different than a Strict Military Press. Deadlift is different than Sumo Deadlift. Back Squat different than Front Squat. Power Clean different than Squat Clean. And...Strict Pull-ups in all their variations (Narrow Grip, Normal Grip, Wide Grip, Neutral Grip, Chin-up) are different than Kipping Pull-up, Butterfly Pull-up, Muscle-ups, Strict Muscle-ups, Bar Muscle-ups, and Strict Bar Muscle Ups. Did I miss any?

You do all of these different exercises at different times during Cross-Fit. They all have a purpose. You sound stupid when you go straight to Kipping Pull-ups and say they aren't real pull-ups. If you mean Strict Normal Grip, then you're right. So what? Nobody is saying they are the same? Do they get you stronger? Yes. Do they provide a great conditioning work-out, especially when paired with something like Thrusters (which you're right, are not Military Presses, nor Front Squats, nor Cleans)? Heck yea.

I couldn't pay enough to line up a group of CF haters (who laugh at Kipping Pull-ups) and feel it's not good training, and watch them run through Fran. It would be too funny.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Crossfit. Safer than say, climbing Mt. Everest, but probably costs you a bit more however.

Did you hear about the vegan crossfitter?
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just found out there a is a crossfit gym in my town. So i started doing some research and found some mix reviews. What do you lot think? does it really make you as fit as they say they do on all these websites?

Looks like all you'll get are more mixed reviews.

My opinion of CrossFit is that it's not for me, I prefer to run my own program. But there are many people who love CF so clearly there's something beneficial there to be had.

If you find yourself in a rut, or need a jump-start, you could do far worse than CF.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just found out there a is a crossfit gym in my town. So i started doing some research and found some mix reviews. What do you lot think? does it really make you as fit as they say they do on all these websites?

Looks like all you'll get are more mixed reviews.

My opinion of CrossFit is that it's not for me, I prefer to run my own program. But there are many people who love CF so clearly there's something beneficial there to be had.

If you find yourself in a rut, or need a jump-start, you could do far worse than CF.

Yep. No way to know if it's for you except to try it. Most gyms (I refuse to call it a "box") will let you try a class or 2 for free. I've never done it but I suspect it's like most things: you get out what you put into it.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It averages a 14-18% injury rate, usually due to heavy Olympic lifts preformed at high speeds and repetitions. All I need to know. I definitely respect the few who understand how to preform the lifts, they are in incredible shape
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    It averages a 14-18% injury rate, usually due to heavy Olympic lifts preformed at high speeds and repetitions. All I need to know. I definitely respect the few who understand how to preform the lifts, they are in incredible shape

Where does this number come from? How does it compare to other forms of exercise?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Where does this number come from? How does it compare to other forms of exercise?

1. Science!
    2. Worse. So much worse. Crossfit is more dangerous than every other pursuit known to man, perhaps even than everything else combined. It is known.
  • auddii
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

1. Science!
    2. Worse. So much worse. Crossfit is more dangerous than every other pursuit known to man, perhaps even than everything else combined. It is known.

Except climbing Everest.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Try it, get the proper form down. I go twice a week, spin class, run ultras and marathons, bike, swim, spin class, trx...body flow, lift...it all helps and the good things about classes are the good friends who are in there with you..and I do a lot of the same stuff on my own..try it, find what you like and work hard and enjoy...proper form
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

1. Science!

Except climbing Everest.

Can you imagine if a vegan crossfitter tried to climb Everest?
  • jessef593
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

1. Science!

Except climbing Everest.

Can you imagine if a vegan crossfitter tried to climb Everest?

They would literally never stop talking about it! Haha

• jessef593
    Options

Probably from a statistical comparison to other forms of training. It's like any other form of exercise, if it best suits your goals, if you train with intensity, you will see results.

• auddii
    Options

Probably from a statistical comparison to other forms of training. It's like any other form of exercise, if it best suits your goals, if you train with intensity, you will see results.

I think they were more asking for a link. Because 87.9458% of all statistics are just fabricated.