Crossfit.What do people think?

Options
1235»

Replies

• alone_aqua
    alone_aqua Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love Crossfit. The problem with most people is that they don't know their own limits OR proper form. My box is great- the coaches won't allow me to become impatient - they won't let me lift heavy until I show I know proper form AND how to bail.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Crossfit. Safer than say, climbing Mt. Everest, but probably costs you a bit more however.

Did you hear about the vegan crossfitter?

Why yes, I have. HAWT! http://breakingmuscle.com/functional-fitness/ed-bauer-the-poster-man-for-vegan-crossfitters
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    There was an article in one of the UK mags this month (Mens Fitness or Mens Health?) about Crossfit. One of their journalists had signed up and was quite enjoying it however he did encounter different approaches at different gyms and did have some concerns related to that. In particular he was concerned that a proper fitness assessment wasn't always made before chucking someone into it - possibly a factor in the injuries.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I like some of the activities but not the structure.

I set up my own mini-Crossfit "gym" in my backyard, including a 200# tractor tire, 8# sledge hammer, 50 ft battle rope, a power sled and a landmine. Didn't cost much. Gives me a pretty exhausting 1 hr workout when I use them in a "circuit."
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I like some of the activities but not the structure.

I set up my own mini-Crossfit "gym" in my backyard, including a 200# tractor tire, 8# sledge hammer, 50 ft battle rope, a power sled and a landmine. Didn't cost much. Gives me a pretty exhausting 1 hr workout when I use them in a "circuit."

What do you mean when you say you don't like the structure? Sounds like you have a fun home gym!
  • emshields1
    emshields1 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not my personal cup of tea to be honest. I have some friends who have done crossfit and I can't say that they looked any different than when they weren't doing it.

I will say that they were super annoying with their Facebook posts of the workout that they did, post workout selfies and pictures of their meals. If you're going to do it just don't be like those people.

This exactly.

I deleted my Facebook about 6 months ago and I must say that it's sooooo nice not to see those Facebook posts anymore!

Anywho, I've known someone who hurt themselves badly from cross fit. But I also know those Facebook posters who love it.

I know someone who hurt themselves badly by crossing the street without looking where they were going.

You can get hurt doing anything. Sometimes it's your own fault. Sometimes though, it's just not your day.

I have friends here on MFP who do CrossFit and friends who do not do Crossfit. Based on a quick mental count, I don't think any of my friends who do CrossFit are currently injured. However, I can count quite a few injured friends whose focus is mainly cardio (running/jogging) with some general strength training.

There are LOTS of stories out there on people who were runners all their lives, and their bodies can no longer put up with the wear and tear that running entails. The most common change I've read about is switching to triathalons to see if that reduces the wear and tear, but it does not. In the end, they find a nice home with CrossFit and their bodies recover from that "dangerous" sport :smile:

Here I just have to say what? Full disclosure runner/strength trainer here. Let's keep to the topic at hand and not pick on any form of exercise....
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    What do you mean when you say you don't like the structure?

I've only visited 2 Crossfit gyms in my area and can only speak about them.

They were both "structured" around the WOD (workout of the day) and some other group activities -- like yoga and strength training -- which were ONLY held in the mornings and evenings, with very limited "free" or open gym time, and were always closed between around 11am to 5pm.

I do not take well to group activities and I like to work out whenever I feel like working out -- not on someone else's schedule. Group support/motivation and coaching are also considered important to the program, which isn't something I need/want. I prefer to work out alone and acquire instruction/advice from books, videos, etc.

Crossfit is also pretty expensive -- around $150/mo for unlimited class use NOT including extras for beginner "on ramp" and other classes. The most expensive commercial gym I ever joined cost me $60/mo and included a free weights and weight machines, tons of cardio machines, free towels, a steam room, hot tub, swimming pool and sauna. Crossfit "gyms" are quite sparse in comparison.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't work well for someone else, it just wouldn't work well for me.

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say you don't like the structure?

I've only visited 2 Crossfit gyms in my area and can only speak about them.

They were both "structured" around the WOD (workout of the day) and some other group activities -- like yoga and strength training -- which were ONLY held in the mornings and evenings, with very limited "free" or open gym time, and were always closed between around 11am to 5pm.

I do not take well to group activities and I like to work out whenever I feel like working out -- not on someone else's schedule. Group support/motivation and coaching are also considered important to the program, which isn't something I need/want. I prefer to work out alone and acquire instruction/advice from books, videos, etc.

Crossfit is also pretty expensive -- around $150/mo for unlimited class use NOT including extras for beginner "on ramp" and other classes. The most expensive commercial gym I ever joined cost me $60/mo and included a free weights and weight machines, tons of cardio machines, free towels, a steam room, hot tub, swimming pool and sauna. Crossfit "gyms" are quite sparse in comparison.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't work well for someone else, it just wouldn't work well for me.

This "structure" to crossfit annoyed me as well. Then I tried a few different CF gyms and realized while many have this structure not all do. You definitely have to shop around for a gym that meets your needs, this is no different for CF gyms. My current CF gym only runs about 5 crossfit "classes" a day. Other than during the classes you can come utilize any of gym equipment for whatever you want for no additional cost 5AM-10PM. Even during the classes you can come lift on the olympic weightlifting platforms (including squat stands), use the treadmills, rowers, or assault bikes (yup cardio equipment too even though i'd prefer to never use it :p ) as long as you stay off of the floor/rig where the class is taking place. I almost never take the traditional classes.

That cost point though........now you have me dreaming of a crossfit world with free towels, a steam room, hot tub, swimming pool and sauna.