If Ketogenic diet is the answer to all our problems-why is still based around caloric values?

Options

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    I just read a book by Lyle McDonald "Rapid Fat loss" he talks about increasing protein to 1.25 g/lbm for 16-24% BF people -carbs less than 50 grams but then goes to say eat unlimited vegetables.

This threw me off and I put the book aside lol - I mean unlimited vegetables would have calories and would defeat the purpose.

@viren19890 most books are like that. Some of us convert carbs to fat very well so the <50 grams works for us. Most whole foods contain fiber, minerals, vitamins which may not be the case with highly processed food that has chemically been altered. Few people think fresh meat is worse for health than a cheap hot dog.

If you find a way of eating that is interesting give it a try for 90 days is you wish and decide what your body is telling to about that way of eating and go from that point.

One does not simply
    convert carbs to fat in a calorie deficit.

Or in a moderate surplus, for that matter. Only when carb intake surpasses TDEE does DNL occur to a significant degree.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    What the heck happened here. Guys layman terms.

Should I go on RFL diet for my last 3 weeks of cut or just reduce the calories and keep the macros same? Currently I'm on 1900 cals a day maintenance is 2700 for me. Should I just cut down to 1500 or so ?

Funny thing is I'm a vegetarian no meat/seafood/eggs -even milk is Almond now. So it might not be hard eating unlimited vegetables but bumping up protein levels to 200 g from current 143 grams and fats to very high level will be hard.

Vegetable eating is unlimited so I can probably eat salads lol (exclusion of pea, corn, carrots)

Goal is to drop most amount of fat possible in 3 weeks (17 June)

If this was a university course I would've needed so much extra tutoring.
  • viren19890
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just read a book by Lyle McDonald "Rapid Fat loss" he talks about increasing protein to 1.25 g/lbm for 16-24% BF people -carbs less than 50 grams but then goes to say eat unlimited vegetables.

This threw me off and I put the book aside lol - I mean unlimited vegetables would have calories and would defeat the purpose.

The PSMF is a rapid fat loss diet, basically a crash diet, with very low calories . Lyle has your fats and calories down so low in that diet that eating a copious amount of vegetables would not take you out of a deficit.

This. Plus he changed that in the 2nd edition so the OP most likely has a pirated copy

There are two books Ultimate nutrition 2.0 and Rapid fat loss before that was Ketogenic diet.

Rapid fat loss was posted on Muscleandstrength forum IIRC

Are you saying there is Rapid fat loss 2.0?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

The PSMF is a rapid fat loss diet, basically a crash diet, with very low calories . Lyle has your fats and calories down so low in that diet that eating a copious amount of vegetables would not take you out of a deficit.

This. Plus he changed that in the 2nd edition so the OP most likely has a pirated copy

Yeah I was pretty sure he didn't say just eat as many vegetables as you want.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Should I go on RFL diet for my last 3 weeks of cut or just reduce the calories and keep the macros same? Currently I'm on 1900 cals a day maintenance is 2700 for me. Should I just cut down to 1500 or so ?

Funny thing is I'm a vegetarian no meat/seafood/eggs -even milk is Almond now. So it might not be hard eating unlimited vegetables but bumping up protein levels to 200 g from current 143 grams and fats to very high level will be hard.

Vegetable eating is unlimited so I can probably eat salads lol (exclusion of pea, corn, carrots)

I don't suggest the RFL for you, no. You didn't even read the book.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I think it works for some people that have problems with BAD carbs.
    Like cupcakes, chips, sugary drinks, twinkies, cookies, french fries, candy.
    And I think it works because they don't really like to eat veggies and beans.

There is no such thing as good or bad carbs. They are just carbs.
    True! But there are foods with carbs that are nutrient poor and low fiber and foods with carbs that are nutrient rich and high fiber.
    What a great book title that would be! :D:D
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

True! But there are foods with carbs that are nutrient poor and low fiber and foods with carbs that are nutrient rich and high fiber.

"Hi Fi v Lo Fi ~ A Layman's Guide to Fine Tuning Your Metabolism".

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

eh?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

240 pages. *open to first page*

"build muscle and move more"

239 blank pages follow
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

eh?

eh?

Alternative book title...

Hi Fi - high fibre
    Lo Fi - low fibre
    Fine Tuning - because hi fi and lo fi are music terms ;)

It would make a fortune!
  • viren19890
    Options

I was on page 33 where he specifically mentions eating unlimited vegetables. I kept the book on the side to ask questions. Not running away from reading it. I'll finish it tonight.

" With the exception
    of peas, carrots and corn, and beets (the starchy vegetables which contain a lot of carbohydrate) which
    are off limits except in tiny amounts, you can (and should) eat basically an unlimited amount of
    vegetables. This will give you something crunchy to chew on, keep you full, and keep you regular.
    Veggies can also provide snacks in between meals to help keep hunger at bay. Since you probably
    need extra sodium anyhow (see below), a cucumber or bag of celery and a salt shaker can help with
    munchies for snacking. Vegetables also provides myriad nutrients that are valuable to health."

From the book, there is only one book based on "Rapid fat loss" -not sure why the poster is talking about a new book when there isn't.

Only updated book is "Ultimate nutrition 2.0"

• viren19890
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is the best I could customize my diet for 21 days. Starting monday.
  • viren19890
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Click on the file and it'll open in new tab with proper legibility.

74 grams carbs, 90 fat and 137 protein.

Not sure what much can I do because well I'm a vegetarian and all veggies have carbs here and there.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Granted, I haven't read the dieting book, but what's with two spoonfuls of straight oil? It would seem that if you're doing pretty low calorie, wouldn't you want to go for higher volume foods to help you feel satiated?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

People are not discussing nutrition, they are discussing weight loss and the keto diet. Still, there are no good or bad carbs.....there are only carbs. :D:D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Why are you eating oil?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

I was on page 33 where he specifically mentions eating unlimited vegetables. I kept the book on the side to ask questions. Not running away from reading it. I'll finish it tonight.

" With the exception
    of peas, carrots and corn, and beets (the starchy vegetables which contain a lot of carbohydrate) which
    are off limits except in tiny amounts, you can (and should) eat basically an unlimited amount of
    vegetables. This will give you something crunchy to chew on, keep you full, and keep you regular.
    Veggies can also provide snacks in between meals to help keep hunger at bay. Since you probably
    need extra sodium anyhow (see below), a cucumber or bag of celery and a salt shaker can help with
    munchies for snacking. Vegetables also provides myriad nutrients that are valuable to health."

From the book, there is only one book based on "Rapid fat loss" -not sure why the poster is talking about a new book when there isn't.

Only updated book is "Ultimate nutrition 2.0"

Sigh
    Originally Posted by lylemcd (the author) View Post
    No, it doesn't. Well, the first edition that basically only exists in pirated form does. But the second edition clarifies this as does THE FAQ AT THE TOP OF THIS FORUM.

http://www.forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=28793

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

You seem to be a healthy young man. If you wish to stay that way, I honestly think you should eat more than 1500 calories per day over the long term, since it seems like you are also lifting weights and working out. 1500 calories is THE FLOOR for adult males who aren't obese. And, now listen I'm not judging you, it's just what I'm seeing, a lot of your calories in your plan are coming from.... shall we say "engineered" sources. Again, in the LONG TERM, if you're continuing to work out, I might think you'd benefit from figuring out how to fit more real foods in, even if this raises your carbs a bit. Lentils, nuts, seeds...
  • viren19890
    Options

Why are you eating oil?
    auddii wrote: »
    Granted, I haven't read the dieting book, but what's with two spoonfuls of straight oil? It would seem that if you're doing pretty low calorie, wouldn't you want to go for higher volume foods to help you feel satiated?

lol I'll be using those as dressing on top of my salad. That's one way I found to increase fats in my diet.
  • viren19890
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

You seem to be a healthy young man. If you wish to stay that way, I honestly think you should eat more than 1500 calories per day over the long term, since it seems like you are also lifting weights and working out. 1500 calories is THE FLOOR for adult males who aren't obese. And, now listen I'm not judging you, it's just what I'm seeing, a lot of your calories in your plan are coming from.... shall we say "engineered" sources. Again, in the LONG TERM, if you're continuing to work out, I might think you'd benefit from figuring out how to fit more real foods in, even if this raises your carbs a bit. Lentils, nuts, seeds...

This is for 21 days only. I've lost 28 lbs since Jan 9, 2016 until now but I took part in a contest and going slowly the way I am -I ran out of time. I wanted to drop fat as fast as possible in last 3 weeks.

Engineered? what do you mean? Most of this is real food. Actual vegetables, tofu, Cottage cheese, Almond milk. Only protein powder is Whey from a company.