How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• opalquartz
    opalquartz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Every morning, and I use the app Happy Scale to keep track of how my weight is trending. After weighing myself daily for over 2 months now, it's easier to roll with the fluctuations that happen (and be more aware of what causes them). And it helps me know when I need to get my *kitten* together if I stall out or am gaining consistently for a week or so. I update MFP with new low weights.
  • linziicb
    linziicb Posts: 42 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    everyday, naked in the same spot so i can see that i'm on track and haven't done any damage the day before. i only record the weight i am every Saturday though.
  • valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily too, been only on mfp for 40 days and lost 6.3 kilos overall. I use happy scale to record weight and see fluctuations but try and not let them bug me. Iv lost 0.2 kilos in a week which is less than my goal of 0.5 kilos but I know it's still good to see loss rather than gain or stay the same. Iv decided to measure myself to see if I at least lost inches and yes I did! 3"off my waist and 2" off my hips so I'm happy!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Never. It messes with my motivation.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Every day, because of fluctuations. I don't understand them and they take me by surprise almost every time, but I'm not scared and not frustrated. The fluctuations just are. Not weighing myself contributed to my weight gain last time - I would pretend my clothes weren't really getting tighter, and at the same time lose motivation to eat well because I knew I was gaining weight anyway. Weighing daily keeps it real and un-dramatic. Ups and downs are sudden but stay within a range. I know I can't possibly gain a pound of fat from one day to the next. I will be able to stop any creep before it becomes a problem - and I'm very good at losing weight, so I'm not worried.

No single reading has meaning on its own. Every week I calculate the average of last week, and this number determines if I need to be stricter or if I can add some treats or just do the same.
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Every day. I changed the unit on the scales to lbs (normally I'm all metric) so I wouldn't get so stuck on the number and let it determine how I feel about myself, plus I log the number in an app that calculates an average to smooth out the inevitable jags.
  • serialmahogany
    serialmahogany Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How?

It's basically a moving average of your last 20 days, so if your weight goes up drastically due to water retention or it feels like you are stuck at the same weight for a long period of time it doesn't have too much of an effect on your trend weight. It basically smoothes out any drastic changes to give you a clear idea in what direction your weight is currently heading.

Here is how trendweight with entries looks:

tlhbdrrwq52f.png

See how my weight went up more than 2 pounds on may 21, if that happened to be the day I had my weekly weigh in I would be puzzled by the gain. But seeing the trend and how my weight is behaving as well as the direction the graph is pointing (down) assures me that I'm doing well.

If more people utilized this we would see fewer "why am I not losing weight" threads.

I also use this method.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Once a week, and I'm going to start using trendweight (thanks, @amusedmonkey and @Christine_72 !)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Just do what keeps you motivated and on track. I go through stages of not weighing..then weighing more often..and mostly just once a week.
    However, I might suggest you take photos.. I finally have done that.. that is proof if you're losing or not..better than the scale.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, every morning
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Every morning first thing. But I don't worry about the small fluctuations and look at the overall trend.
  • 155at49
    155at49 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First thing every morning.
  • sadiepie05
    sadiepie05 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Every 15 days. I'm the type of person that can't handle the daily fluctuations and eventually once a week was getting annoying. So once every two weeks! It works perfectly for me.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself?

Daily.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Once a week, and I'm going to start using trendweight (thanks, @amusedmonkey and @Christine_72 !)

Keep in mind it takes about a month of data to settle at a good trend. At first your trend may look higher than it should until it collects enough data, so don't be discouraged. It requires a fitbit account, but you could create one for free without having to have the tracker.
  • dennysgirl99
    dennysgirl99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Every morning, nearly right after I roll out of bed. I'm numbers driven so it's almost impossible to keep from stepping on the scale every morning just out of curiosity alone. I love trendweight. The scale isn't my main gauge of progress though, just one of many, so it's easy to shrug off. I care far more about the numbers my measuring tape give me and the fit of my clothes.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Fridays at 5:30 am, after my 60minute cardio, after shower (boy do I stink!) and after "poopy time". I figure being THAT regimented will give me accurate progress (or lack of).
  • Toribeth23
    Toribeth23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm also throwing my 2 cents at using a trend weight tracking app if you're weighing every day. I do, (I can't help it, I'm just so curious.) and using Libra (android) is the best thing I have done for myself! Weight fluctuates so much on the day-to-day, but the app keeps me from going crazy if my weight goes up because it tells me, using averages, that my overall trend is going down, which is what I want. I weigh myself first thing in the morning and throw the number in the app then go about my day. As long as the trend says I'm still losing, I'm fine with whatever the number is. If it says I've gained a little then I know I need to work a little harder that day. I only add my weight to MFP about once a week, just to keep it updated.
  • LoveEpifanie
    LoveEpifanie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly, every Monday. I was doing the daily thing but it just wasn't for me. I do better with my weight loss when I focus more on the habits and less on the actual number.
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I decided I'm going to weigh myself in August, 3 months after beginning getting healthy. I get too obsessive with the numbers when really what I'm looking for is to get more active. Only 30 days in and see a BIG difference in energy levels and how my clothes fit which I personally find more valuable :)