June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's been another week (ish) so here I am checking in again. Not really had much time to run this week but I had some decent runs on the times I did.
    8/6 - 0
    9/6 - 0
    10/6 - 4
    11/6 - 0
    12/6 - 0
    13/6 - 4
    Total distance this month so far - 24.7 miles.
    Not bad for my first time trying this challenge. Maybe I'll try for 50 miles next month. I'll be on vacation at the end of the month so I might try and squeeze some runs in on the mornings when everyone's asleep :)
    exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    6/1- 4.17
    6/2- 5.79
    6/3-Rest
    6/4-12.25
    6/5-Rest
    6/6- Rest
    6/7-5.03
    6/8-Rest
    6/9-5.0
    6/10- Rest
    6/11-10k race
    6/12- Rest/recovery
    6/13- Rest
    6/14- 9.12

Total: 47.41/100

Notes on today's run: Well, I'm thinking I wasn't fully recovered from the 10k yet. Today's assignment was 1h20m-1h40m at E. I ended up running 9.12 miles in 1:34:23, for a 10:21 average.

Took along a GU Roctane gel today. gel went down easy, and I didn't have any GI problems from it, but I did have a couple times where my HR spiked into the bottom of zone 5. Not sure if that was from the extra caffeine in the gel, or just because I'm not fully recovered from the race...

,,,Haven't had any similar issues when I've used Honey Stingers....Oh well, it was good to see that my body handled it well, as it seems that if there's gels handed out at races, they tend to be GU, and now I know I can handle them.

wThis was my last "long" midweek run before my HM. Next week will be the las week of all out training, and then a nice little one week taper and then the race!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    Two days with no running... one more tomorrow... Maybe see how the knee feels on Wednesday. Will be at the beach all week so maybe I just skip the running all week and drink at the pool all day...

A good friend of mine who's a long time runner & former competitive marathoner recommends the RICES method for knee injuries (or pretty much any running injury):
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation
    Scotch
    Rye
    Irish
    Canadian
    Especially bourbon
    Scotch

ftfy :wink:

Riesling
    Irish Whiskey
    Cognac
    Everclear
    I thought only college kids drank everclear. That list looks a bit Ivy League.

LOL Yeah, it was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe flashbacks to the good ole days?

• Stoshew71
    Options
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    Two days with no running... one more tomorrow... Maybe see how the knee feels on Wednesday. Will be at the beach all week so maybe I just skip the running all week and drink at the pool all day...

A good friend of mine who's a long time runner & former competitive marathoner recommends the RICES method for knee injuries (or pretty much any running injury):
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation
    Scotch
    Rye
    Irish
    Canadian
    Especially bourbon
    Scotch

ftfy :wink:

Riesling
    Irish Whiskey
    Cognac
    Everclear
    I thought only college kids drank everclear. That list looks a bit Ivy League.

Rainier
    IPA
    Corona
    Erdinger Weissbier

Better? :smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33
    6/6 4 miles 37 << Daily Double
    6/7 9 miles 46
    6/7 5 miles 51 << Daily Double
    6/8 6.2 miles 57.2
    6/9 9 miles 66.2
    6/10 6.2 miles 72.4
    6/11 18 miles 90.4
    6/12 REST DAY
    6/13 9 miles 99.4
    6/13 4 miles 103.4 << Daily Double
    6/14 9 miles 112.4

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

Humid one this morning. Had some heat lightening in the distance this morning that luckily stayed away.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 3 miles
    6/2 - zip
    6/3 - 5 miles
    6/4 - 5 miles (I did 2 miles of intervals with my friend then walked 2 miles with her) after that I ran 3 miles with Skip so I'm going to count 5 miles
    6/5 - 5 miles
    6/6 - rest
    6/7 - 7 miles
    6/8 - 5 miles another perfect morning to run!
    6/9 - 4 miles loving the weather woohoo!!!
    6/10 - rest day rest day I hate rest days but I need to do a long(est) run tomorrow so it's rest day rest day
    6/11 - 6 miles 80F at start of run almost 90F when we were done...hot hot hot
    6/12 - 5 miles by myself and then 5 miles of intervals with my friend so I'm going to call it 8 miles - another way hot one :cold_sweat:
    6/13 - rest day after running and working over the weekend for 10 hours scrubbing the liner of my pool and shop vac'ing all the water out of the bottom, my body said *kitten* no we are not moving when the alarm went off. :smile:
    6/14 - 5 miles with Skip this morning :heart:

53 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Skip got up this morning to run with me. We both decided it was awful out and a horrible run, slow and painful. LOL She is a bit sore from weight training and I got home last night after 14 hours in the same high heels and my ankles and calves were so swollen you couldn't see my ankle bones. I know I drank a lot of water yesterday but I guess I had too much sodium. I could still feel the heavy in my legs this morning.

@stoshew71 I don't know if it was heat lightening, it was thundering pretty good by me and lots of thunderheads out there, I think the thunderstorm part just didn't happen. Either way it was freaking humid.
    @josh_lol great job!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    June
    1-nothing
    2-hope to get something in tonight. yoga/circus girls+pedicure night=hangover
    3-nothing-last minute errands. essentially sped walked for 3 hours
    4-same but all day because, you know, i got married
    5-family reunion
    6-slept off the weekend
    7-4.25mi. felt pretty good
    8-3.13mi feeling good, plus stairclimber and foam rolling
    9-slept in
    10-no run.
    11-no run foot stuff still
    12-2.5mi sprints for an hour and a half-aka laser tag
    13-no run
    14-sick

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual 40:08
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual 41:46
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Run
    Ice cream
    Coffee
    Eclairs

R.I.C.E for women

I'll have some. I do love eclairs. <3

I'm still kind of tired and out of motivation after Sunday (the 8K was my longest run so far), but the weather is great right now and you guys are making me want to get out there. :smiley: I think I'll schedule a run for tomorrow morning.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I was not happy with myself when I was working out from 8-9pm last night when I wanted to be in bed watching tv...... So this morning I finally got up at least early enough to do 20 min of light cardio before work. It'll be another late evening though because I'll skip (postpone) dinner, run, and by the time I shower and eat, it'll be just as late as last night. Oh well. Summer seems to go this way.

@stoshew71 I personally need to hear over and over again that it's NORMAL to feel this way about summer running. I was really out of breath for my Sunday run. And it's only getting hotter still. Lots of 90s in our forecast. I just keep telling myself that if I stick it out, I'm going to reap the rewards when the weather cools off and that's when I'm going to see real improvement. Because having taken off last Nov/Dec for injury, I spent the whole late winter and spring time just trying to rebuild, and now it's too hot to do anything but suffer through it. But I have high hopes that I'll be setting PRs this fall/winter :-D

I've noticed I have a bad habit in hotter weather of forgetting my stretching and foam rolling. I just want to get straight in the shower and I say I'll do it after I shower but then I forget. In cooler weather, I go straight to my mat and foam roller and can easily spend 20 min on that before I shower.

@mbaker566 I know what you mean about "it's always something". Hope you feel better soon.

@skippygirlsmom Heels all day?! Ugh.

@kristinegift Nice run :) I keep meaning to ask about your other friend....what part of Arkansas was she/he moving to? Lots of paved running trails to choose from in Northwest AR and lots of natural trails in various state parks, etc all over AR.

@MNLittleFinn What was wrong with your run today? 9ish miles at 10:21 pace sounds good for an easy run post race :)

@josh_lol Nice job. Almost to your goal already.

@bradboughner5 Adding a little bit to each run is what I did in the beginning.

@1TheQueenB 5k in 35 mins is great :)

@suzyrn288 That's the right attitude: Keep moving forward!

Okay, I'm caught up since I'm on an actual computer and can see and respond more easily.

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    6/3 - Pre-HM rest day. Too bad, it is a beautiful morning! So, I am drinking extra water and I ate donuts!
    6/4 - 13.3 miles at Dam to Dam Half. It was sunny and hot. Sun was brutal. Running was pretty good, but my splits went up gradually over the final 4 miles. Atmosphere was good pre and post-race. Had fun!
    6/5 - Rest day + lots of kids' sports.
    6/6 - 4.01 mile "recovery" run. I am not good at intentionally keeping my pace slow. I intended 9-9.5 minute miles.
    6/7 - 5.35 miles. Longer than intended, because I didn't plan my route and had to get back home. Oh well, bonus 0.85 mile.
    6/8 - 3.3 miles on treadmill, then upper body weights and abs.
    6/9 - 4.5 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Cut it a bit short as a pain in my "hip" was causing me to alter my stride. Not sure where it came from, hoping it was just sore.
    6/10 - 3.78 miles in the hot, humid weather. It was 73° at 5 a.m.! Again, shortened due to hip pain. Dr. Google says it might be greater trochanteric bursitis. Anti-inflammatories, extra ITB and hammy stretches and a reduction in mileage are in order.
    6/11 - Rest day, plus stretches and anti-inflammatory med. Lots of housework though.
    6/12 - Ditto.
    6/13 - 3.5 miles, still hot and humid. Again, hip pain started. This time, I stopped immediately.
    6/14 - Since I am worried about / trying to rest my hip, I went to a Bodypump class today. I used to go twice a week, but haven't in like 14 months or so...gonna hurt tomorrow. Even went with really light weight. Then, followed it up with 20 minutes on the stationary bike. It was a nice change of pace, but annoyed I didn't run outside.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options

These are some of the things that go through my mind when I run in the heat. Yes, running in the summer sucks. But I do not suck. I am getting stronger and faster despite what my watch says.

I hope this helps some of you.

I did not think about this before, but YES! Thank you.
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    6/4 -- 1.71miles -- jog/ walk with Pandora the puppy
    6/5-- rest
    6/6-- 1.5 miles -- jog/ walk on the treadmill (asthma flared up - suck)
    6/7--rest--sick with a cold
    6/8--1.71 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging -yay! a bit wheezy but managed to keep going through it)
    6/9--weights & elliptical
    6/10--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/11--rest day/ dog walking (not counting miles)
    6/13--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill

Total: 8.92 miles done, 11.08 to go

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    But as your heart is working harder, it is also getting stronger. So when the weather cools down in the fall, that stronger heart will be pumping more oxygen rich blood with much more ease.

These are some of the things that go through my mind when I run in the heat. Yes, running in the summer sucks. But I do not suck. I am getting stronger and faster despite what my watch says.

I hope this helps some of you.

Thank you for your post - this really helps. I slogged through another 2.7 miles this morning in the heat. Heat index 91 degrees. Also the neighborhood where I'm running by my mom's house has nice paths but almost no shade. Tomorrow i'm going to have to venture out to somewhere with some tree cover.

I've crossed the halfway point on my mileage goal for June, so that's great news.

exercise.png

Hang in there all you heat runners.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree the run was decent, it just felt rougher than I thought it should. I guess that's part of how it goes on the first run after a race though. I felt better after the run than before or during it though....
  • pshara
    pshara Posts: 21 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree the run was decent, it just felt rougher than I thought it should. I guess that's part of how it goes on the first run after a race though. I felt better after the run than before or during it though....

Ah, I see :)