June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Great race, well done!

@DrLauraDVM16 If the dogs say the water was perfect, it must be true! ^^

@JessicaMcB Rainy run at night sounds great! I went for a night run on Friday (had to watch a soccer game first) and realised now that winter is over, I actually miss running in the dark.

@tacosticks What kind of backpack do you wear? Maybe finding one that doesn't bounce around could help.

@ddmon0811 I actually once missed the first talk of the day at a conference, because I went for a run in the morning and didn't find the way back to the hotel in time. I was actually in the right street, but I ran past it without recognising it and kept going quite a bit further until I realised something was wrong and turned around to try finding it from the other direction.

@shanaber That's such a shame about the weather for your HM! If my phone started shorting out, I'd probably also get worried enough to turn back home. I broke my old one by dropping it into a puddle (during a run, of course), now I'm a bit paranoid regarding phones+water...

@Petrim77 Welcome! :-)

@4leighbee The auto-completion hasn't worked for a week or two now. Kind of annoying, but at least if you type the names by hand the notifications still work.

@5BeautifulDays Congrats on your race! Sounds like you had tough race conditions.

@Amandajs232 Wow, that looks beautiful! Had to laugh about the "introverted runner" story. Although I remember running faster than planned to get away from other people during a race at least twice. Not to avoid talking to them, but because they had jingling small change or keys in their pockets. Drives me insane! :tongue:

@pthyay Congrats on your first running event! It's really amazing what a difference running in that kind of atmosphere makes.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My log for last week:

- Monday 6/6/2016: rest day
    -
    - Tuesday 6/7/2016: 6.6 km with a little rain and a lot of humidity, ugh!
    -
    - Wednesday 6/8/2016: 13.9 km up & down "my" mountain, a little further up than last time :-)
    -
    - Thursday 6/9/2016: strength training (YAYOG). At least I managed to do it once this week. I really should to do strength training more often!
    -
    - Friday 6/10/2016: 6.5 km after midnight - I "had" to watch the opening game of the soccer championship first. France won :)
    -
    - Saturday 6/11/2016: 9.9 km - left my watch at home, and don't like checking the phone while I run, so I only looked at the distance once I was already inside. Otherwise, I would have added another little loop on the parking lot!
    -
    - Sunday 6/12/2016: 17.0 km "long" run. In quotes because my last long runs were all longer than that, but I started too late, and didn't want to miss too much of the German team's soccer game, so I decided to keep it a little shorter and slightly faster than usual. Turned out to be the first time outside of a race that I managed to run 10mi in under 2 hours. And the German team won, so it was a good evening all around :)

---

94.1km of 100km done (goal until 15th of June, I'm on vacation for the second half of the month. Yay!)

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    6/3 - Pre-HM rest day. Too bad, it is a beautiful morning! So, I am drinking extra water and I ate donuts!
    6/4 - 13.3 miles at Dam to Dam Half. It was sunny and hot. Sun was brutal. Running was pretty good, but my splits went up gradually over the final 4 miles. Atmosphere was good pre and post-race. Had fun!
    6/5 - Rest day + lots of kids' sports.
    6/6 - 4.01 mile "recovery" run. I am not good at intentionally keeping my pace slow. I intended 9-9.5 minute miles.
    6/7 - 5.35 miles. Longer than intended, because I didn't plan my route and had to get back home. Oh well, bonus 0.85 mile.
    6/8 - 3.3 miles on treadmill, then upper body weights and abs.
    6/9 - 4.5 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Cut it a bit short as a pain in my "hip" was causing me to alter my stride. Not sure where it came from, hoping it was just sore.
    6/10 - 3.78 miles in the hot, humid weather. It was 73° at 5 a.m.! Again, shortened due to hip pain. Dr. Google says it might be greater trochanteric bursitis. Anti-inflammatories, extra ITB and hammy stretches and a reduction in mileage are in order.
    6/11 - Rest day, plus stretches and anti-inflammatory med. Lots of housework though.
    6/12 - Ditto.
    6/13 - 3.5 miles, still hot and humid. Again, hip pain started. This time, I stopped immediately.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    One more rest day since I had not really planned the impact of my Sunday night plans for our 18th wedding anniversary on Monday's morning run. :blush:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    June
    1-nothing
    2-hope to get something in tonight. yoga/circus girls+pedicure night=hangover
    3-nothing-last minute errands. essentially sped walked for 3 hours
    4-same but all day because, you know, i got married
    5-family reunion
    6-slept off the weekend
    7-4.25mi. felt pretty good
    8-3.13mi feeling good, plus stairclimber and foam rolling
    9-slept in
    10-no run.
    11-no run foot stuff still
    12-2.5mi sprints for an hour and a half-aka laser tag

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual 40:08
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual 41:46
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Taking a second rest day in a row, something I have rarely done in the last month and a half. Yesterday was supposed to be an easy run, day after my "10k" but morning thunderstorms and then a 240 mile drive home kind of killed that. Today is scheduled rest, and I'm actually glad for it. Tomorrow is a scheduled 9 mile run, so the extra little rest is a good thing.

Still at 38 miles for the month, but I "think" I'll make it. Switching Thursday's Fartlek to a TI run, because I like those a little better.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    June 1- 5 miles solo plus 1.2 miles with the puppy. Also yoga.
    June 2- 5 miles hills plus 0.75 miles with the puppy
    June 3- Unplanned rest day
    June 4- 3 mile walk/ run with puppy
    June 5- 11 miles
    June 6- 1mile run with puppy
    June 7-6.4 miles hilly tempo
    June 8-4.3 miles + 0.7 miles with the puppy
    June 9- 3 miles solo+ 1 mile with the puppy
    June 10- 6 miles AM run
    June 11-4 miles
    June 12-9 miles

@shanaber -great advice on the puppy training. Stella has "leave it" down pretty well, but I will definitely work on "look". That is still an issue even when just walking. She is very motivated by treats, of course.

I am at 61 miles for the month so far and I have enjoyed all of them. Had a nice longish run on Sunday at a running path/trail by my mother's house. Ran faster than normal, but the pace still felt easy so I will take it. I was wanting to do 10-12 miles, but I had plans to meet up with my brother and his inlaws for breakfast, so I cut it short, rushed through the shower and made it there on time, only to wait 25 minutes for everyone else to show up. Could have easily run an extra 2 miles. That kind of stuff really gets under my skin. Oh, well. It was still a great run.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I may have to take a few days off as my knees have starting driving me CRAZY. Yesterday they hurt so much and all I did was walk 3.5 miles. Not sure what's going on... maybe have to check in with the doctor if this doesn't clear up.
  • checkthestove
    checkthestove Posts: 44 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I did my first 5k (Race for the Cure) on Saturday woo hoo!! 31:38 chip time. I felt like walking almost the entire time, but I didn't :smiley:

I do have a question for all you seasoned runners out there, though. My app (mapmyrun) logged 3.2 miles, and I started it as soon as I crossed the start line, so it would match my chip time. Do you usually find race routes are slightly over or under the distance (5k, 10k etc)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

exercise.png

I did my first 5k (Race for the Cure) on Saturday woo hoo!! 31:38 chip time. I felt like walking almost the entire time, but I didn't :smiley:

I do have a question for all you seasoned runners out there, though. My app (mapmyrun) logged 3.2 miles, and I started it as soon as I crossed the start line, so it would match my chip time. Do you usually find race routes are slightly over or under the distance (5k, 10k etc)

Race routes usually are measured by the shortest distance through the course. You will hear it referred to as "running the tangents". This means that you cut diagonally across the corners, etc. (see link below). Any running that you are doing that is not in a straight line such as weaving through people or crossing to the other side of the street is usually what accounts for that extra mileage. Most races will come up a bit long for that reason. Also, most GPSs are not 100% accurate either. I don't use Mapmyrun, so maybe somebody else can speak for its accuracy.

http://sciencebasedrunning.com/2014/12/the-basics-running-tangents/
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Trail races are notoriously bad... the last 50k I did was .6 miles longer. I did one that was nearly a mile longer and the RD was like "Yeah, we know.... but it's an ultra and whats another mile?" Lol...
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @RespecttheKitty Have you consulted with Dr Google? What part of your knees hurts?

From what I've looked up, it's probably just a typical case of runner's knee. It primarily hurts on the inside of my kneecap, but sometimes the entire knee area gets stiff and sore. I'm not exactly sure how to make the discomfort go away other than resting. I am carrying some extra weight (I weigh 212 pounds, 5'6") so I'm sure that's not helping.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    MapMyRun and any cellphone app all depend upon your cellphone's GPS which is not as accurate as you think.

http://www.clevelandmarathon.com/resources/userUploads/CertifiedCoursevsGPSAccuracy.SRV_1338321859.pdf

https://communityhealthmaps.nlm.nih.gov/2014/07/07/how-accurate-is-the-gps-on-my-smart-phone-part-2/
    lporter229 wrote: »

exercise.png

Race routes usually are measured by the shortest distance through the course. You will hear it referred to as "running the tangents". This means that you cut diagonally across the corners, etc. (see link below). Any running that you are doing that is not in a straight line such as weaving through people or crossing to the other side of the street is usually what accounts for that extra mileage. Most races will come up a bit long for that reason. Also, most GPSs are not 100% accurate either. I don't use Mapmyrun, so maybe somebody else can speak for its accuracy.

http://sciencebasedrunning.com/2014/12/the-basics-running-tangents/

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    From what I've looked up, it's probably just a typical case of runner's knee. It primarily hurts on the inside of my kneecap, but sometimes the entire knee area gets stiff and sore. I'm not exactly sure how to make the discomfort go away other than resting. I am carrying some extra weight (I weigh 212 pounds, 5'6") so I'm sure that's not helping.

I can empathize with the knee & knee cap pain! I had lots of pain & "crunchy" sounds for months (sounded like I had rice krispies for knees - not good). I tried all kinds of different things trying to treat it on my own when I should have just gone to the doctor. When I finally did go he quickly diagnosed me with patellar (sp?) instability & sent me to physical therapy. The PT helped A LOT. They taught me all kinds of stretches & exercises to strengthen the muscles supporting the knee caps to help keep things aligned. Alas, it's a chronic problem for me so I have to constantly work on it. But the point of my story here: if the pain persists I'd encourage you go to the doctor sooner rather than later as they can advise you what to do to prevent the problem from getting much worse. The solution might be as simple as doing some specific stretching & strengthening exercises. Anyway, I hope your knees feel better soon!!

• PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...........TOTAL
    6/1...................REST.................0.00
    6/2.....................7.00.................7.00
    6/3.....................5.00...............12.00
    6/4...................10.00...............22.00
    6/5.....................6.25...............28.25
    6/6...................REST...............28.25
    6/7.....................3.00...............31.25
    6/8...................REST...............31.25
    6/9.....................3.00...............34.25
    6/10.................REST...............34.25
    6/11...................4.25.............. 38.50
    6/12.................REST...............38.50
    6/13.................REST...............38.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @sweetdianachka
    that's a great time

@greenolivetree
    i went all sneaky so lots of squatted runs and full out sprints upstairs with a suprisingly heavy laser rifle.

and from the reading-everyone rest your knees
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Where is everyone? Heat, injury, recovery? I'm working... well, at work.

My running days are short. I wanna hear about others pounding it out. :smiley: