June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @1TheQueenB - Body Glide helps a little. For me, it doesn't prevent bra chafe (though it does prevent thigh chafe, so I'm not sure why that's true). However, if I already have a sore spot, it helps keep it from hurting quite so bad and getting much worse.

@5BeautifulDays - Totally agree on the sleeveless shirt in hot weather. I ALWAYS end up with chafed spots in my underarms, but it's usually from either the shirt itself or skin-to-skin contact. When it's super hot in the summer, I just go for a sports bra with no shirt. Screw what everyone else thinks when they see me!

@PoppetsMaster - I was in a similar situation to you back in March. I had a stress fracture in my fibula in February, with a full marathon on March 20th. I got out of the boot 3 weeks before the marathon. At that point, my longest run had been a 17 miler about 2 months before the race. I debated on what to do (dump the taper and do some long runs or just follow the taper plan and give it my all on race day). In the end, I decided to follow the taper and I think it was the right decision. So, my first day out of the boot was supposed to be a 20 mile run, but I did 5 instead. The next weekend I did 12, then 8 the following (plus my shorter mid-week runs, of course). And the next weekend was the marathon. I think following the taper allowed me to go into the race feeling relatively fresh. Clearly my endurance wasn't what it could have been, and I had to walk some in the second half of the race, but I finished and did not get reinjured--and that's what really counts.

ETA: It feels funny to say I didn't get reinjured, given that I just had surgery on my ankle and am back in the stupid boot (on the same leg). But I swear it's not an overtraining thing. :D
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 3 miles
    6/2 - zip
    6/3 - 5 miles
    6/4 - 5 miles (I did 2 miles of intervals with my friend then walked 2 miles with her) after that I ran 3 miles with Skip so I'm going to count 5 miles
    6/5 - 5 miles
    6/6 - rest
    6/7 - 7 miles
    6/8 - 5 miles another perfect morning to run!
    6/9 - 4 miles loving the weather woohoo!!!
    6/10 - rest day rest day I hate rest days but I need to do a long(est) run tomorrow so it's rest day rest day
    6/11 - 6 miles 80F at start of run almost 90F when we were done...hot hot hot
    6/12 - 5 miles by myself and then 5 miles of intervals with my friend so I'm going to call it 8 miles - another way hot one :cold_sweat:
    6/13 - rest day after running and working over the weekend for 10 hours scrubbing the liner of my pool and shop vac'ing all the water out of the bottom, my body said *kitten* no we are not moving when the alarm went off. :smile:
    6/14 - 5 miles with Skip this morning :heart:
    6/15 - 3 miles with the girl
    6/16 - 5 miles
    6/17 - rest day
    6/18 - 4 miles - 5K and mile warm up
    6/19 - too much to do to run day
    6/20 - 4 miles
    6/21 - 3 miles
    6/22 - 5 miles

77 of 100 miles

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    June 1- 5 miles solo plus 1.2 miles with the puppy. Also yoga.
    June 2- 5 miles hills plus 0.75 miles with the puppy
    June 3- Unplanned rest day
    June 4- 3 mile walk/ run with puppy
    June 5- 11 miles
    June 6- 1mile run with puppy
    June 7-6.4 miles hilly tempo
    June 8-4.3 miles + 0.7 miles with the puppy
    June 9- 3 miles solo+ 1 mile with the puppy
    June 10- 6 miles AM run
    June 11-4 miles
    June 12-9 miles
    June 13-Rest day
    June 14- 6 miles + 1 mile with puppy
    June 15- 5 miles
    June 16-4.5 miles
    June 17- 5 miles
    June 18-5.2 miles
    June 19-12.1 miles
    June 20- Rest day
    June 21- 7 miles fast finish + 0.6 miles with pup
    June 22- 4.5 miles AM run
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I think it's time to taper for this race this Saturday. I didn't feel it this morning and cut my run a mile short and one of my slowest runs in a while. Turned it into an easy recovery run. It's been a little cooler this week too. Monday and yesterday, I did pick the pace up a little bit, so maybe now I am starting to feel it. In any case, I take it as a sign to start tapering.

@stoshew71 you had a big week last week mileage wise and even though the temps have been cooler this week the humidity was still 83% this morning at 5:15.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    6/4 - 5 miles (I did 2 miles of intervals with my friend then walked 2 miles with her) after that I ran 3 miles with Skip so I'm going to count 5 miles
    6/12 - 5 miles by myself and then 5 miles of intervals with my friend so I'm going to call it 8 miles - another way hot one :cold_sweat:

Every time I read a comment of yours about a run with a friend, with Skip - commonly referred to as "the girl" I can picture the smile on your face.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Every time I read a comment of yours about a run with a friend, with Skip - commonly referred to as "the girl" I can picture the smile on your face.

@juliet3455 it's funny because I've had to train myself to want to run with my friends or with Skip. I'm very much a solo runner because it's my only chance to be alone. But you are right I smile when I think of running, especially with Skip, I know these times won't last forever.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...........TOTAL
    6/1...................REST.................0.00
    6/2.....................7.00.................7.00
    6/3.....................5.00...............12.00
    6/4...................10.00...............22.00
    6/5.....................6.25...............28.25
    6/6...................REST...............28.25
    6/7.....................3.00...............31.25
    6/8...................REST...............31.25
    6/9.....................3.00...............34.25
    6/10.................REST...............34.25
    6/11...................4.25.............. 38.50
    6/12.................REST...............38.50
    6/13.................REST...............38.50
    6/14.................REST...............38.50
    6/15...................6.00...............44.50
    6/16...................5.00...............49.50
    6/17...................7.00...............56.50
    6/18.................REST...............56.50
    6/19.................REST...............56.50
    6/20.................REST...............56.50
    6/21...................5.00...............61.50
    6/22...................5.00...............66.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    6/3 - Pre-HM rest day. Too bad, it is a beautiful morning! So, I am drinking extra water and I ate donuts!
    6/4 - 13.3 miles at Dam to Dam Half. It was sunny and hot. Sun was brutal. Running was pretty good, but my splits went up gradually over the final 4 miles. Atmosphere was good pre and post-race. Had fun!
    6/5 - Rest day + lots of kids' sports.
    6/6 - 4.01 mile "recovery" run. I am not good at intentionally keeping my pace slow. I intended 9-9.5 minute miles.
    6/7 - 5.35 miles. Longer than intended, because I didn't plan my route and had to get back home. Oh well, bonus 0.85 mile.
    6/8 - 3.3 miles on treadmill, then upper body weights and abs.
    6/9 - 4.5 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Cut it a bit short as a pain in my "hip" was causing me to alter my stride. Not sure where it came from, hoping it was just sore.
    6/10 - 3.78 miles in the hot, humid weather. It was 73° at 5 a.m.! Again, shortened due to hip pain. Dr. Google says it might be greater trochanteric bursitis. Anti-inflammatories, extra ITB and hammy stretches and a reduction in mileage are in order.
    6/11 - Rest day, plus stretches and anti-inflammatory med. Lots of housework though.
    6/12 - Ditto.
    6/13 - 3.5 miles, still hot and humid. Again, hip pain started. This time, I stopped immediately.
    6/14 - Decided I am going to take a break for a week or two, try to start July fresh. So, today I went to a Bodypump class and then rode a stationary bike. Gonna be sore.
    6/15 - Sore! Went light with the weights in Bodypump, still shuffling like an old man. I used to do it 2-3 days a week, but kinda dropped off about 18 months ago.
    6/16 - Still sore, but went back to Bodypump and the stationary bike. I miss running :-(
    6/17 - Spin Class. It was pretty fun, got to see some of my running buddies at the Y.
    6/19 - Bodypump class...harder at 3:30 on a Sunday afternoon than at 5:00 a.m.
    6/21 - Bodypump class and a short, ginger 1.5 miles on an indoor track. Didn't hurt, but felt weird. May try a 3-miler later this week.

Hope you all are doing well! Stay cool...the heat and humidity have been brutal!
  • mrs_madison_keane
    mrs_madison_keane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    5mi TM tempo @ 7:42/mi to start the day. :smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    OH MY GOD I am so sore from run-walking 8 miles yesterday. Granted, it's the longest distance I've ever done, so I guess I should expect it, but still... DAMN.
    No running for me today!

@respectthekitty a short slow recovery run with help with that :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Second shorter run of Taper Week 1. Ran 4 miles averaging 10:20 and managed negative splits. HOWEVER, my left knee started acting up, and there was a little twinge in my right Achilles. I'm thinking my training has caught up with me...I'm really thinking about cutting back even more than my taper calls for. I'm struggling with this though, because I've been pushing so hard that even taper sucks.....

......However, I don't want to be injured for my HM in 12 days. I've been running 20+ MPW since mid April, and have Averaged just under 30 MPW over the last 4 weeks, and have 3 12+ mile runs under my belt, so I "know" that I have the training in, just not feeling happy about this new issue....

Any advice on keeping me going but at an easier routine so I can recover more?

My advise, scratch the specific workouts in the plan. As you increase mileage, just keep EVERYTHING at an easy conversational pace. Don't worry about tempos or fartleks or any other "speedwork". Increasing mileage is major enough. And all you want to worry about is building up aerobic power and getting your body used to the TOF (time on feet). Threshold training and lactate clearing and VO2 max and brain to muscle speed coordination all won't help until you have your base. Just focus on nice easy pace and good form. Light on the feet, smaller steps higher cadence, keeping the body fully relaxed as you run, stuff like that.

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    6/4 -- 1.71miles -- jog/ walk with Pandora the puppy
    6/5-- rest
    6/6-- 1.5 miles -- jog/ walk on the treadmill (asthma flared up - suck)
    6/7--rest--sick with a cold
    6/8--1.71 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging -yay! a bit wheezy but managed to keep going through it)
    6/9--weights & elliptical
    6/10--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/11--rest day/ dog walking (not counting miles)
    6/13--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/15--1.71 miles--jog/walk with Pan (mostly jogging; very hot & humid at 7pm)
    6/16--1.5 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging; much cooler this evening; knees hurt a bit tho)
    6/17--2.25 miles--RUN/ walk on treadmill
    6/18--resting the knees
    6/19--1.1 miles--did 1 crappy mile on the treadmill when I got a sudden sharp pain under my left knee cap. Tried to run a bit further on it, but pain did not go away. *kitten.*
    6/20--swimming (because knees)
    6/21--nada (because life)

Goal: 20 miles
    Total: 15.48 miles done, 4.52 miles to go
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My wayward son is going to join the Navy. I keep having dreams that he bails. *Please don't let him bail*

He ran a mile last night! Said it was easier than he thought it'd be.

He's moved in with us, I guess. He went to his dad's to get an ASVAB study guide and his room was all cleaned out.. sheesh, love your son much?

Hoping we have another runner in the family, least til February when he's scheduled for boot "in the rear" camp.

Horrible timing that I can't run with him... I wonder if.... just maybe.... ah, what's the worst that could happen!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    My wayward son is going to join the Navy. I keep having dreams that he bails. *Please don't let him bail*

He ran a mile last night! Said it was easier than he thought it'd be.

He's moved in with us, I guess. He went to his dad's to get an ASVAB study guide and his room was all cleaned out.. sheesh, love your son much?

Hoping we have another runner in the family, least til February when he's scheduled for boot "in the rear" camp.

Horrible timing that I can't run with him... I wonder if.... just maybe.... ah, what's the worst that could happen!

@elise4270 no running for you. WTF on Dad and the room :anguished: What made him decide on the Navy? I hope he sticks with it, a career in the military (or even a few years of the structure) is a good thing. Skip is very seriously considering the Air Force right after high school.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I can only assume that he chose the Navy because they won't be on the front lines. Idk, maybe beaches (girls), boats, and travel is what lured him in. I encouraged it.

I hear the AF is the way to go. Sweet digs and all but harder to get in.

Yes no running here. I'm not even up to walking two legged yet... just dreaming...
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hey @instantmartian , did you go to Firefly? I've wanted to do that one for a few years but was thinking I might be a little out of the age demographic. I need to convince one of my teens to go with me so I won't be embarrassed, lol.
    I did go to Firefly! I was there in 2013, and again this year. I had tickets for 2014, but had to sell them due to a wedding in California the same weekend, and last year, my boyfriend couldn't take off to go. The dynamic has changed a bit since the first time we were there (I credit the number of EDM bands for bringing the median age down), and at the age of 32, my boyfriend and I were definitely on the older end of the spectrum, but we both know a few other people our age who were there, and there were absolutely quite a few people 50+. In fact, there was a group of ladies who were definitely in their early 50s standing next to us for Ludacris. I know for a fact since Luda said something about everyone over the age of 25 doing something, and the one lady turned to her friend, laughed, and said, "My, God. I'm twice that!" They were having an absolute blast. There was also a guy who was probably around the same age dressed as a bee at Elle King. I think he might be my new idol. Mind you, it was pushing 90 degrees at that point. Anyway, you totally need to go. It is a looooonnnnngg four days, but it is so worth it.
    aptrjpp14clg.jpg

I love bee guy!

At 45, I am *not* the demographic. Except I totally am because being 45 doesn't mean I don't like music! My kids laugh at me because their friends will be all "hey, have you heard this new song?" and they're all "yeah, my mom's been listening to it on Alt Nation for 2 months, dude." LOL

However, my old creaky 45-year-old body would be camping in a hotel, thank you very much!

While the majority of the people in attendance were definitely in their mid-20s (we had a group of frat guys camping to our left, and a group of recent college grads to our right...and a group of girls our age next to them), there are seriously people there of all ages - I saw a kid in a stroller that was probably about 3, and there was a guy walking around (with a floppy hat and long white beard) who was well into his 60s. It is so totally worth going to Firefly, even if just once. There are hotels that are close, but you'll want to book them now for next June as they tend to sell out super quickly. I've never gone the hotel route, but I am seriously considering it if I want to do Firefly, again, however, Bonnaroo and/or Cochella are on my list for festivals to attend, next, and I fully plan on borrowing my father's travel trailer for that. (Hello, air conditioning, free (warm) showers, and a couch to sit on!) My first music festival was Gov Ball in NYC in 2012, so music festivals are still pretty new to me, and, while they completely exhaust me, I am in love. :smile:

Edit: I think that is wonderful about your listening to music, by the way. I have a very non-mainstream taste in music, myself, and my boyfriend is the only person I know who seems to understand how I can know the music I do and have not heard songs that are all over the radio. Also, Alt Nation for the win!
  • Amyl32283
    Amyl32283 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Will there be a July challenge?