June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I was awake at 5:15 today, managed to finally get out the door at 5:50. 3 miles done at a little faster pace than my last few runs. It was 70F with 80% humidity and it almost felt cool out there when I started. I could tell I was starting out faster than I have been and decided to just go with it. About halfway in I started to feel my asthma kicking in and the croup building in my chest. I don't know why the humidity causes this for me because I really have very mild asthma but it is what it is. So the last half I was hacking and just running faster and trying to get it over with. LOL

Tomorrow morning I'm not going in to work before an appointment so I'm planning some extra running time and hill work.

@ceciliaslater Be careful with that incision. I won't go into the gruesome details but I had to take care of my hubby's infected belly incision after a surgery and it was not fun.

@elise4270 Don't worry...... Will it be hard? Maybe. But you can do it! When I took 8 weeks off to get rid of my sit-bone pain, I set a note in my phone calendar for my expected return to running and I put in there "GO RUN! You've done it before and you can do it again!"

@skippygirlsmom Sending good vibes for Skip meeting the college coach :)

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater that is terrible about the dog. I would die if Macy bit anyone. When she is out in the yard with me and I'm doing something (like cleaning out the garage) she is on a leash attached to the tree with water. She can walk 20' around, lay under the tree or sit in the sun, she can see me and see the street. She has no need to run to the street when someone walks by. We have a lot of kids in our cul de sac and though she loves them to death she is a bigger dog and scares them. I don't want her bolting over to them and hurt or scare them. They come first they are the humans.

I'm sorry to hear about your incision. It's the simple things that seem to be hardest sometimes.

@elise4270 you are going to get back to running like a duck to water don't worry about that.
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was out the door at 5am for a surprisingly pleasant 4 mile run. Good thing, too, because it's getting hot out there! 97 degrees yesterday when I got home from town to install the window a/c unit I finally caved in and purchased.
    Ahhhhhhhh!

exercise.png

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey @instantmartian , did you go to Firefly? I've wanted to do that one for a few years but was thinking I might be a little out of the age demographic. I need to convince one of my teens to go with me so I won't be embarrassed, lol.
    I did go to Firefly! I was there in 2013, and again this year. I had tickets for 2014, but had to sell them due to a wedding in California the same weekend, and last year, my boyfriend couldn't take off to go. The dynamic has changed a bit since the first time we were there (I credit the number of EDM bands for bringing the median age down), and at the age of 32, my boyfriend and I were definitely on the older end of the spectrum, but we both know a few other people our age who were there, and there were absolutely quite a few people 50+. In fact, there was a group of ladies who were definitely in their early 50s standing next to us for Ludacris. I know for a fact since Luda said something about everyone over the age of 25 doing something, and the one lady turned to her friend, laughed, and said, "My, God. I'm twice that!" They were having an absolute blast. There was also a guy who was probably around the same age dressed as a bee at Elle King. I think he might be my new idol. Mind you, it was pushing 90 degrees at that point. Anyway, you totally need to go. It is a looooonnnnngg four days, but it is so worth it.
    aptrjpp14clg.jpg

• Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/6: 4.5 Miles
    3/6: 3.4 Miles
    5/6: 3.7 Miles
    6/6: 3.4 Miles
    8/6: 3.7 Miles
    10/6: 5.0 Miles
    13/6: 4.2 Miles
    15/6: 6.3 Miles
    17/6: 4.4 Miles
    19/6: 6.3 Miles
    21/6: 4.0 Miles

exercise.png
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71... that makes sense. I may do a little more than that, but maybe not worry about forcing in any runs over 15... just feels weird going into a race with no long runs. I would feel a little better if I was running a trail I had been on before, but I really don't know much about it other than it has multiple stream crossings and lots of bugs.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Which reminds me...

Today I finally had the guts to run shirtless. I was like: *kitten* this and held my shirt in my hand from mid run to the end. People were looking but I just waved at them. It was great. Next time I don't even take my shirt with me

I tried being a bit more modest this year. But dang, once it's off no way I'm running in a shirt again. #lettheflabfree

Love the article!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Which reminds me...

Today I finally had the guts to run shirtless. I was like: *kitten* this and held my shirt in my hand from mid run to the end. People were looking but I just waved at them. It was great. Next time I don't even take my shirt with me

I tried being a bit more modest this year. But dang, once it's off no way I'm running in a shirt again. #lettheflabfree

Love the article!

You have no idea how good it felt to throw that sweaty tshirt off. It was like I was FREEEEEEEE
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Shirtless running is the way to go. Especially out here in the desert with these 115-120f temps!

Wet cotton shirt for extra cooling on longer runs though.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Well according to that article I have an eating disorder, ha ha! I look at guys and girls a like when they are running shirtless. Nothing like a nice male chest coming at you when you are running in those little skimpy shorts. Lots of time I pass a woman and think damn I want those abs or how the hell does she keep those girls in wearing that skimpy bra LOL!!! At a race in the Spring I told the woman in front of me I was lusting after her legs half the race. I've only run once in a sports bra only and I'm really too self consciousness (could be that I'm old), Skip runs that way all the time. Ah to be 16.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Well according to that article I have an eating disorder, ha ha! I look at guys and girls a like when they are running shirtless. Nothing like a nice male chest coming at you when you are running in those little skimpy shorts. Lots of time I pass a woman and think damn I want those abs or how the hell does she keep those girls in wearing that skimpy bra LOL!!! At a race in the Spring I told the woman in front of me I was lusting after her legs half the race. I've only run once in a sports bra only and I'm really too self consciousness (could be that I'm old), Skip runs that way all the time. Ah to be 16.

I'm so jealous/motivated but the women with the low BF! The guys, mmm. I swear I'm gonna be a creepy old lady perv...
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Got in a nice double-workout today as my marathon plan called for a bunch of 5-minute threshold pace runs w. 1 minute recovery, along with an easy run. Met a few friends at noon for the easy run - hitting up a loop and then some shaded trails, then went out again at 4PM for the threshold runs. I was pretty surprised that I didn't have much trouble doing the 5 threshold runs on the track at my 10K-15K pace (6:35-6:40/mile) & heart rate range despite the heat (mid 80s) and lack of shade. Still, with humidity down to 50%, I guess my Florida conditioning has been paying off.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 9 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 12 miles
    6/10 - 9 miles
    6/11 - 8 miles
    6/12 - 12 miles
    6/13 - 4 miles
    6/14 - 1 mile
    6/15 - 4 miles
    6/17 - 5.5 miles
    6/19 - 6 miles
    6/20 - 5 miles
    6/21 - 13 miles

Total: 137.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 62.5 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5

@PoppetsMaster - The basic idea from what I understand for building marathon fitness is that you gradually ramp up your level of cardio & muscular stress over time during your training to build up more and more cardio and muscular fitness (usually pushing hard for 2-3 weeks, then stepping back for a week to prevent injury and let your muscles recover, then do another cycle with slightly more stress, and repeating until you get to a point where you come close to injury or run out of training time). Still, for those muscles to perform at peak on race day, it takes 2-3 weeks of reduced stress to get them to 100% for the race itself (some of which comes from a gradual decrease in mileage, some comes from a 2 day rest on race week) - while trying to maintain enough load so that the cardio loss isn't too significant. I've always peaked about 3 weeks before each marathon, but those cutbacks still involved a reasonable amount of distance in the last 2 weeks (usually if I'm peaking at 50 miles/week, I've cut to 40 then 25+race for the final 2 going into the race).

Given that philosophy, the big question is whether you think by piling on the mileage in the next couple of weeks, the cardio benefits will be greater than the muscular stress felt on race day from not tapering.

From your prior training cycles, you may remember how your long runs felt when done on 2 consecutive weekends and can compare to how the beginning of a marathon felt after a taper. If you didn't notice much of a difference between how you felt when doing your 2nd 20 miler and how you felt during a marathon, you might be fine peaking closer to the race. If the 2nd consecutive long Sunday run (as I'll occasionally do an 18 then 20 on back to back Sundays) felt much worse, you probably need the taper.

If you think your body is back to 100%, I suspect you'd be at 90% of your cardio efficiency from pre-injury at this point and could jump up near your pre-injury mileage (just at a slower pace) this week, then taper (i.e. if your plan called for 40/week, and you were near there pre-race, I'd do close to the 40 now, then drop to 30/25). If you are still hurt, I'd focus on getting back to 100% as you won't make it to the finish line, or be able to run after the race for a while. Another option if your injury is running-area specific is to do a bunch of cross training as your legs recover this week (swimming is good as it'll work your upper body), so you don't lose much of your cardio base by race-day.

My only other recommendation is to plan to significantly negative split the race. If your cardio is close to race shape, you'll be fine and still get very close to your potential fastest time, and if it isn't, you'll know mid way and won't be totally dead during the 2nd half if you've ended up losing a bunch of cardio during your injury.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June goal.....run

6/1 rest
    6/2 3.59
    6/3 dog nursing
    6/4 worked unplanned, unexpected overtime. crap.
    6/5 5.39
    6/6 dog nursing....DH was longingly looking at his weedwhacker. I spelled him to go whack off.
    6/7 5.31
    6/8 3.60
    6/9 3.12
    6/10 gave DH a nursing break
    6/11 8.32
    6/12 3.71
    6/13 3.38
    6/14 4.41 snuck out of work and ran in the rain.....so I can dognurse/give DH a break when I get home. 3 weeks till he's allowed off leash.....
    6/15 3.11
    6/16 4.19
    6/17 3.30
    6/18 rest
    6/19 4.23
    6/20 snorkel 2.5 hours... the dog has recovered enough that we could leave him in the house for a few hours: orangespined unicornfish
    jf5bthtpllag.jpg

6/21 5.00

Total 61.28

@skippygirlsmom I feel your pain about the dog. I no longer run in my neighborhood with the dogs due to one dooshhbag up the hill who walks hers off leash...and he attacks my male leashed, restrained dog EVERY SINGLE TIME. Calling animal control is useless as we are so remote it would take hours for them to appear. Better to just avoid the encounters.....

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: sometime in June or July......when dog needs less nursing
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I made it to 6pm Body Pump class...can't wait till its over. Maybe I'll feel like running 5K after. Fingers crossed
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33
    6/6 4 miles 37 << Daily Double
    6/7 9 miles 46
    6/7 5 miles 51 << Daily Double
    6/8 6.2 miles 57.2
    6/9 9 miles 66.2
    6/10 6.2 miles 72.4
    6/11 18 miles 90.4
    6/12 REST DAY
    6/13 9 miles 99.4
    6/13 4 miles 103.4 << Daily Double
    6/14 9 miles 112.4
    6/14 4 miles 116.4 << Daily Double
    6/15 6.2 miles 122.6
    6/16 9 miles 131.6
    6/16 5 miles 136.6 << Daily Double FF Pub Run at Yellowhammer
    6/17 6.2 miles 142.8
    6/18 18 miles 160.8
    6/19 REST DAY
    6/20 9 miles 169.8
    6/20 4 miles 173.8 << Daily Double
    6/21 9 miles 182.8
    6/21 4 miles 186.8 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Snuck a running mile into my 8-mile stress walk.

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous/motivated but the women with the low BF! The guys, mmm. I swear I'm gonna be a creepy old lady perv...

To Late I think you might already have the Lady Perv part. >:)o:)B)<3
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2016
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

To Late I think you might already have the Lady Perv part. >:)o:)B)<3

Haha! :lol: awww :disappointed:
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Finished body pump and ran 5k on treadmill.!!!!whoo hoo!