June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got to Pittsburgh mid-day today so ended up formally kicking off my Chicago marathon plan with 5 miles on the treadmill (which my watch slightly under-measured). During the run, I found I was reasonably fast in the cooler 75 degree indoor environment for the targeted heart zone range for the run (9:15 pace @ 135 HR). Although I was toying with trying the Pfitz 18/55 for Chicago, I'm going to just stick with the Garmin marathon III HR plan (with enough extra easy mileage to hit 50/week), as my full ironman biking/swimming workouts will produce enough extra fatigue, and there is no kitten-ing way in heck I'll be able to hit the prescribed paces for a Pfitz plan in Florida summer heat without getting ill from heatstroke (vs. a self-adapting heart rate based plan).

As much as going sub-3 in Chicago would be a nice goal, I think I'll be better off just repeating the plan that netted me a 3:08 marathon in Pittsburgh, as hopefully shaving another 8-10lb (to run it at 150lb - I'm 5'9.5") by October will get me most of the way there.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 9 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 12 miles
    6/10 - 9 miles
    6/11 - 8 miles
    6/12 - 12 miles
    6/13 - 4 miles
    6/14 - 1 mile
    6/15 - 4 miles
    6/17 - 5.5 miles
    6/19 - 6 miles
    6/20 - 5 miles

Total: 124.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 75.5 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25

Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My goal is 80km!

2nd - 8km
    4th - 5km (parkrun, 26:21) new PB by 1min 35seconds! :smiley:

6th - 4km
    8th - 8km
    9th - 3km My first social run with a friend! We ran faster than I normally do.
    11th - 5km Started enjoying it after 4km. Took my camelbak for my shopping bags and wallet and walked back via the shops, worked well.

13th - 8.5 km (7 slowish, 1 really hard, extra half k to cool off)
    15th - 4km
    17th - 3km (slow hard slog :disappointed: )

20th - 5km
    21st - 8km
    Skipped parkrun last week, if I get another 7km done over Thurs/Friday I'll try and talk a friend into running 5km with me on the weekend to make it up

61.5/80km so far

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wow. It's already been 3 weeks into June. Who's looking forward to dying while running in the summer heat? XD
    14/6 - 0
    15/6 - 0 woke up too late and had to go to work :(
    16/6 - 3.1
    17/6 - 0
    18/6 - 4
    19/6 - 0
    20/6 - 4

Total this month so far = 35.8 miles

Yay :smile: At least I managed to hit my goal for my first month trying this challenge. I think 50-60 miles should be my next goal.

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Lol I totally forgot about this thread! I resumed running. I did 7.2mi @ 8:20/mi this morning. And then some heat training in 120f temps! 2.6mi Not really in race training mode right now. Kinda just messing around. So I won't make a goal here. Maybe for July. :)

Happy training to all!!!

I'm hurt. Anyone else? :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    First run of Taper week 1 was a VERY easy 3 miles at 10:31 Average pace.

Total: 73.64/100

Random question...is it normal to feel more tired, AND more restless during taper?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33
    6/6 4 miles 37 << Daily Double
    6/7 9 miles 46
    6/7 5 miles 51 << Daily Double
    6/8 6.2 miles 57.2
    6/9 9 miles 66.2
    6/10 6.2 miles 72.4
    6/11 18 miles 90.4
    6/12 REST DAY
    6/13 9 miles 99.4
    6/13 4 miles 103.4 << Daily Double
    6/14 9 miles 112.4
    6/14 4 miles 116.4 << Daily Double
    6/15 6.2 miles 122.6
    6/16 9 miles 131.6
    6/16 5 miles 136.6 << Daily Double FF Pub Run at Yellowhammer
    6/17 6.2 miles 142.8
    6/18 18 miles 160.8
    6/19 REST DAY
    6/20 9 miles 169.8
    6/20 4 miles 173.8 << Daily Double
    6/21 9 miles 182.8

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    First run of Taper week 1 was a VERY easy 3 miles at 10:31 Average pace.

Total: 73.64/100

Random question...is it normal to feel more tired, AND more restless during taper?

Yes. Yes. And Yes. Many people even get sick during a taper. Your body is in total repair mode and your mind...well, that's just going crazy all over the place. That is why it's called taper madness. Tapering is hard!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 , @lporter229 , @MNLittleFinn , @skippygirlsmom
    On this page (39) Above Stoshews post is a Spam post. Go hit the Flag at the bottom of it and report it so we can get this garbage off our thread.
    hp support number (888) 990-8801..outlook support number email help number 1(888) 990-8801email
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 looks like it was pulled out already. I saw one the other day too that I flagged. Thanks for the heads up!

• skippygirlsmom
    edited June 2016
    Options
    6/1 - 3 miles
    6/2 - zip
    6/3 - 5 miles
    6/4 - 5 miles (I did 2 miles of intervals with my friend then walked 2 miles with her) after that I ran 3 miles with Skip so I'm going to count 5 miles
    6/5 - 5 miles
    6/6 - rest
    6/7 - 7 miles
    6/8 - 5 miles another perfect morning to run!
    6/9 - 4 miles loving the weather woohoo!!!
    6/10 - rest day rest day I hate rest days but I need to do a long(est) run tomorrow so it's rest day rest day
    6/11 - 6 miles 80F at start of run almost 90F when we were done...hot hot hot
    6/12 - 5 miles by myself and then 5 miles of intervals with my friend so I'm going to call it 8 miles - another way hot one :cold_sweat:
    6/13 - rest day after running and working over the weekend for 10 hours scrubbing the liner of my pool and shop vac'ing all the water out of the bottom, my body said *kitten* no we are not moving when the alarm went off. :smile:
    6/14 - 5 miles with Skip this morning :heart:
    6/15 - 3 miles with the girl
    6/16 - 5 miles
    6/17 - rest day
    6/18 - 4 miles - 5K and mile warm up
    6/19 - too much to do to run day
    6/20 - 4 miles
    6/21 - 3 miles

72 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Short run today for a number of reasons, one I was scared to go and run (hate that!!!) but I got my mace and went (no issues today), two seems like that word is getting around the hood and a couple people stopped me to talk so I ran out of running time before work. Good things...the detective that leaves on my street said tell him next time the dog is out and he will call animal control and the homeowners (house is rented), Deputy from the Sheriff's department opened a case for me and said tell anyone in the hood who has seen the dog run to call and open cases so we can get a formal case opened (hopefully), he also said to get Skip a stun gun. He said pepper spray would definitely work but the noise from a stun gun would stop the dog in it's tracks.

I also talked to a friend of Skip's mom and she told me about a race that Skip needs to run because the T&F/XC coach of one of our local colleges will be there and her son (or herself) will introduce Skip to him. :smiley:

@mnlittlefinn yes definitely
    @greenolivetree definitely hurt mean @robotfood LOL welcome back!
    @josh_lol great job at making goal !
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...........TOTAL
    6/1...................REST.................0.00
    6/2.....................7.00.................7.00
    6/3.....................5.00...............12.00
    6/4...................10.00...............22.00
    6/5.....................6.25...............28.25
    6/6...................REST...............28.25
    6/7.....................3.00...............31.25
    6/8...................REST...............31.25
    6/9.....................3.00...............34.25
    6/10.................REST...............34.25
    6/11...................4.25.............. 38.50
    6/12.................REST...............38.50
    6/13.................REST...............38.50
    6/14.................REST...............38.50
    6/15...................6.00...............44.50
    6/16...................5.00...............49.50
    6/17...................7.00...............56.50
    6/18.................REST...............56.50
    6/19.................REST...............56.50
    6/20.................REST...............56.50
    6/21...................5.00...............61.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    First pain free run since my fall on June 3.... only 5 miles, but it's a start. Had to modify my monthly goal from 180 to 100, which still might be a stretch, but I just can't do a sub-100 mile month.

@Stoshew71, @MobyCarp , @Ohhim... I have a 50k in a little under three weeks, but have run very few miles this month due to injury... do any of you see any reason why I can't just skip the taper and maybe only back off the miles a couple days before the race? My legs feel fresh, but my gut tells me I need couple of 15s and maybe a 20 prior to race day.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @poppetsmaster glad to hear about the pain free run :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Lol I totally forgot about this thread! I resumed running. I did 7.2mi @ 8:20/mi this morning. And then some heat training in 120f temps! 2.6mi Not really in race training mode right now. Kinda just messing around. So I won't make a goal here. Maybe for July. :)

Happy training to all!!!

I'm hurt. Anyone else? :smiley:

I'm hurt too . I thought we meant more to each other than that. Just FR him so he can't get away again. :smiley:
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Ugh, @skippygirlsmom ! I know all about what you're dealing with as far as the dog goes. I was out running down my road a couple years ago and got bitten by a dog, in the back of my knee. The owners had seen the dog come after me previously and had the courtesy to send their young (like 8 years old, maybe) daughter out of the house to call the dog back. Too much hassle for them to do themselves, I guess. When I actually got bitten, it was about 7am on a Saturday morning. I was screaming bloody murder, they were obviously home, but no one bothered to come help. I managed to limp away far enough that I could call my husband to come get me. We called the sheriff's department, who just told us "you have the right to protect yourself and your family" over and over again. They would not file a report, would not come out and talk to the owners, nothing.

At least you have some good neighbors looking out for you. This is why I'm glad I'm moving--we have just enough neighbors around to be *kitten*, but not enough to have ones that actually care about each others. The new house is much more remote, so I anticipate fewer annoyances all around.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    So, I've had a minor setback in my surgery recovery. When the sutures were removed, the nurse who put the steristrips on (I was not impressed with her or her attitude to say the least) did not put one over the very top part of the incision. Which also happens to be the part where the skin had been puckered up a little by the sutures being overly tight. All was well for about 2 days after having the stitches removed, but then that top part of the incision sprung a leak. No infection--it's just serous fluid (clear liquid)--but, as of last night (another 48 hours down the line), it's still leaking fluid.

On Saturday, we had just covered it with a nonstick pad to absorb the fluid, hoping it would seal itself back over. We finally broke down and got some more steristrips and applied those last night since it was still leaking. I haven't unwrapped the dressing since then, so I'm not sure yet if that worked to stop it.

I'm just frustrated by the whole thing, especially since the rest of my incision looks fantastic and is healing really well. Having this one tiny spot holding everything up is really annoying. And I want to take a freaking shower without a waterproof cover over my leg already! Gah!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Jeez! I'm shocked. We're both in Oklahoma. I thought for sure they'd remove the dog immediately.

We have a dog up the road that will come after you. I refuse to run it, and there's not a shoulder. But my husband does occasionally. Said the owner never reprimands the dog. Just lets it be. Ugh, stressful!

I went outside to turn the sprinkler on the sod put out last night. I think I have lost all heat tolerance. It was horrible, 82f, ,27.7c. I felt drugged- guess I still could be. It's only been 5 days. Kittens, it's gonna be hard returning to running!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    So, I've had a minor setback in my surgery recovery. When the sutures were removed, the nurse who put the steristrips on (I was not impressed with her or her attitude to say the least) did not put one over the very top part of the incision. Which also happens to be the part where the skin had been puckered up a little by the sutures being overly tight. All was well for about 2 days after having the stitches removed, but then that top part of the incision sprung a leak. No infection--it's just serous fluid (clear liquid)--but, as of last night (another 48 hours down the line), it's still leaking fluid.

On Saturday, we had just covered it with a nonstick pad to absorb the fluid, hoping it would seal itself back over. We finally broke down and got some more steristrips and applied those last night since it was still leaking. I haven't unwrapped the dressing since then, so I'm not sure yet if that worked to stop it.

I'm just frustrated by the whole thing, especially since the rest of my incision looks fantastic and is healing really well. Having this one tiny spot holding everything up is really annoying. And I want to take a freaking shower without a waterproof cover over my leg already! Gah!

Oh horrible! Might head to the doc and let them clean it and re suture it! Idk if it could be a seroma or something.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    First pain free run since my fall on June 3.... only 5 miles, but it's a start. Had to modify my monthly goal from 180 to 100, which still might be a stretch, but I just can't do a sub-100 mile month.

@Stoshew71, @MobyCarp , @Ohhim... I have a 50k in a little under three weeks, but have run very few miles this month due to injury... do any of you see any reason why I can't just skip the taper and maybe only back off the miles a couple days before the race? My legs feel fresh, but my gut tells me I need couple of 15s and maybe a 20 prior to race day.

What do you hope to achieve with what you have planned? Your legs feel fresh now (and they should) but whatever you do from now till the race in 3 weeks, you don't want your legs to become unfresh. Do I think you need to just sit on your butt till the race in 3 weeks? Nope. Do you need a full taper when you apparently already went through a taper process? Nope. So you can and should do something, but how much should you do so you can keep that fresh feeling in your legs by the time you hit the starting line. That I don't know how to answer.

I think you should do something, but I just don't know what exactly that something should be. Certainly don't try to improve (cause in order to improve you need to destroy your legs and then go into a recovery process). I think you just need to maintain your progress. As the saying goes, the hay is already in the barn.

Here's a suggestion, and take it with a grain of salt. Imagine what was your peak mileage so far just before you got hurt. In other words, what where you running in a week just before the injury? Now do 75% of that mileage this week, then do 50% of that mileage next week, then do like 35% of that mileage the week of your race.

Do 20% of your weekly mileage at your goal race pace or maybe a little faster, and 80% at some pace easier than goal race pace.

That's my opinion. Others may have something different.

EDITED: The more I think about this, jumping in with 3 weeks rest and doing 75% of what you were doing before you got injured may be a lil bit aggressive. Plan for 50% instead of 75% and see how you feel? The first 2 days of execution and see if you can adjust higher or lower. If you only have to do a third of what you were doing before you got injured, then doing something is better than doing nothing. You have to ease back into what you were doing. Can't expect to do much when you took 3 weeks completely off and recovering from injury. You certainly don't want to reinjure yourself.