June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 I'd go for some blood tests anyway, even if they are skewed. Can't hurt and maybe they indicate what it's wrong with you like low iron or some other minerals, vitamins etc
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Orphia you'll be so much more than ready for your HM race, you'll do awesome! I've purposely kept my training runs under 13.1 Miles so I can't disappoint myself with my race time, but part of me now wishes I had run some longer runs, just to reassure myself that I can do it. Oh, that 35k walk/run sounds great!

With now exactly a week to go, Pace groups are posted...Looks like with my 2:20:00 estimated finish for the HM, I'll be in the 9th pace group. Kind of curious how long it will take me to get to the starting line. Do I start my Garmin with the gun, or when I cross the starting line???? These are the thoughts of my tapering mind.....
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Another short run. :/ I thought I could do another kilometre or two, but then I got this horrible stitch I could not outrun. I get those now and then due to health problems, even when I'm not running. Still, I think another run should carry me to my June goal. Wednesday maybe as I need to lift on Tuesday. :smile:

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @pthyay you can totally do this, rock that goal and be proud!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 I agree that it sounds crazy to wait until you feel well - get another opinion!

@Orphia sounds like a great challenge to do the 35 km even if you walk part of it. I bet you'll run more than you think.

@MNLittleFinn Start your Garmin when you cross the start line so you'll know your actual time. It may take a couple of minutes to get there depending how big the race is. How exciting that it's a week away. Don't go too crazy this week :)

@pthyay great job being so close to goal - you can do it!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @katharmonic thanks. I'm in the 9th pace group, so it could be a little while before I cross. Last I heard there's about 2000 people signed up, should be awesome.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Don't think I'll make my goal this month- just means I'll need to work harder next month.
    Hope all is well with you all
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift the promise of cookies would get me to go running too!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Catching up from posts over the weekend.

Thank you @greenolivetree @skippygirlsmom & @ddmom0811 & @JessicaMcB

Racing in the heat does suck @Ohhim I readjusted my pace by feel.
    My running group buddy (the guy to my left in the pic that got 3rd in our AG) went out to fast. He passed me at around mile 2ish and went quite abit ahead of me. He was going what would have been our normal HM pace (in cooler weather). At about mile 5 or 6, he got toasted and went to a slow jog as I passed him and never saw him again. I ended up finishing about 4 minutes ahead of him. I on the other hand just ran my own race and did what i thought was an appropriate pace considering.

@kristinegift It was just that hot and miserable. LOL I get that way all the time. I was soaked this morning after my training run. My shoes were even squishing.

Congrats @Orphia on the HM. I agree with @Ohhim , nothing like the atmosphere of a real race. You are ready for one.

@MNLittleFinn That's cool about the fam and the hotel room. Nice to have a cheering section.

Congrat @kristinegift on the 1200 milestone.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33
    6/6 4 miles 37 << Daily Double
    6/7 9 miles 46
    6/7 5 miles 51 << Daily Double
    6/8 6.2 miles 57.2
    6/9 9 miles 66.2
    6/10 6.2 miles 72.4
    6/11 18 miles 90.4
    6/12 REST DAY
    6/13 9 miles 99.4
    6/13 4 miles 103.4 << Daily Double
    6/14 9 miles 112.4
    6/14 4 miles 116.4 << Daily Double
    6/15 6.2 miles 122.6
    6/16 9 miles 131.6
    6/16 5 miles 136.6 << Daily Double FF Pub Run at Yellowhammer
    6/17 6.2 miles 142.8
    6/18 18 miles 160.8
    6/19 REST DAY
    6/20 9 miles 169.8
    6/20 4 miles 173.8 << Daily Double
    6/21 9 miles 182.8
    6/21 4 miles 186.8 << Daily Double
    6/22 5 miles 191.8
    6/23 5.5 miles 197.3
    6/24 3.1 miles 200.4
    6/25 11.1 miles 211.5
    6/26 REST DAY
    6/27 9 miles 220.5

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I had about 120 posts to catch up on this morning, so I read some, then started skimming.

Congrats @Stoshew71 on your awesome race performance!
    Congrats @Orphia on completing the half marathon distance! What's next on your list? Keep adding distance? Look for an actual HM race?
    @ereck44 - I'm still trying to lose weight, as well. I was pretty much to my goal weight (on the upper end of my healthy range), but I put on a few pounds when I got injured in February and a few more with my surgery recovery that's still ongoing. I'm now to the point where I'd like to lose 15-25 pounds. I could get away with some diet deficiencies when I was running miles upon miles, but no more. I'm now focusing on keeping my calories down and getting all my nutrients in. Thankfully, DH is also on board, which I hope will make this diet overhaul a little easier.

Surgery recovery update: Today is three weeks since surgery. I have not touched my CAM walker boot since Saturday. I still have the ankle wrapped in an Ace bandage, but have been walking around in a tennis shoe consistently. I even managed to go outside and help with some light yard work yesterday (playing around with my new battery-powered weed eater, mostly).

I'm carrying the CAM boot with me in a bag today, just in case, since it's such a long walk from my office to the car, but I don't think I'm going to need it. I made it in with no problems (even negotiating going up stairs). The only thing that scares me is that I have to go down stairs to get back to my truck this evening, and down is definitely harder than up...

My incision is now fully closed. The very top part finally stopped leaking two days ago. It's itchy as can be because of all the scabs and peeling skin and whatnot, but it looks really good.

I am planning on going to the store tomorrow and picking out a lace-up ankle brace to replace my Ace wrap. I think it will fit better in my shoes and will give me more firm support. I hope, anyway.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @ Orphia Yes you did it, knocked off your first HM distance.
    Being that it was not a Supported Race you will find that in the actual event with water stations and the "Runners Support " of other runners you will knock a few minutes off your HM PB.
    I do have to question what happened in the last 0.2 km 7 minutes?? I guess you did not stop your watch? Knock 6:30 off your time and that is my estimate for your Race based on that funky 0.2 km and the boost you get from other runners.

If you are doing the HM with out a running buddy and since you know your average run pace ( 6:22/km ) don't be afraid to ask other runners there pace and if you can run with them, especially at the start so you don't go out to hard. At my first 2 HM's I went out to fast and the last 7 km were a battle. Now I settle in at about 2/3 back into the pack along the edge and take it easy for the first KM while the pack spreads out and the groups settle into a rhythm. By this time you will probably be in a mini-group running at a pace close to yours. Relax and enjoy the experience.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing great! I tried keeping up for a while but work has really ramped up into project overdrive. That seems to happen once or twice per year, and since I was injured I guess it started at a decent time. So I haven't been able to keep up and there is no way I will be able to catch up today as I dive right back into all this worky-work madness.

The foot is definitely back to 100%. My conditioning, not so much. I also felt some knee pain on a steep decline yesterday which cut that run short, but it feels fine today. I'm pretty sure I won't hit my monthly mileage goal :trollface: but at least I can run regularly again.

Of course the downtime made me think. And that meant all sorts of crazy thoughts like cutting back the mileage and running more sensible durations, added strength, etc, all that stuff that seems to happen every time I take a break from running. Some resistance bands are arriving Wednesday. Yeah, it went that far apparently.

My 50k is definitely out but there is a 5k/10k event just down the street from me on 7/4 that I am thinking I will sign up for. I ran through the finish line of it last summer during a 16 mile long run at around mile 14. At the time I had no idea that event was happening or that my planned run route went through the final quarter mile of the race route. It was pretty cool having people cheering me on for a training run and hearing a couple people notice I wasn't wearing a bib. Nobody approached me with a medal (not that I would have taken one). I probably looked like a jerk or something running through their finish line but the sides of the road were taped off and crowds were all over the sidewalks. So this year I think I may go through that finish line all official like.

6/1 - 8 brutal miles
    6/2 - 4 crappy miles
    6/3 - 3.1 lovely, fast, and hilly miles
    6/4 - 13.1 wonderful, moderate effort, hilly miles
    6/5 - Rest
    6/6 - 1.1 mile trail fail
    6/15 - 4 miles
    6/26 - 6.2 miles
    6/27 - 3.1 miles

42.6/225 miles

exercise.png

2016 races (this list is subject to change at the posters whim):
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 but was only 12.5 miles
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS) 2:17:38.4 new PR
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO) 33:10
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO) 2:39:42
    7/23 - Psycho Summer Run Toto Run 50k (Kansas City, KS) Probably out...most certainly out...should remove this
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 3 miles
    6/2 - zip
    6/3 - 5 miles
    6/4 - 5 miles (I did 2 miles of intervals with my friend then walked 2 miles with her) after that I ran 3 miles with Skip so I'm going to count 5 miles
    6/5 - 5 miles
    6/6 - rest
    6/7 - 7 miles
    6/8 - 5 miles another perfect morning to run!
    6/9 - 4 miles loving the weather woohoo!!!
    6/10 - rest day rest day I hate rest days but I need to do a long(est) run tomorrow so it's rest day rest day
    6/11 - 6 miles 80F at start of run almost 90F when we were done...hot hot hot
    6/12 - 5 miles by myself and then 5 miles of intervals with my friend so I'm going to call it 8 miles - another way hot one :cold_sweat:
    6/13 - rest day after running and working over the weekend for 10 hours scrubbing the liner of my pool and shop vac'ing all the water out of the bottom, my body said *kitten* no we are not moving when the alarm went off. :smile:
    6/14 - 5 miles with Skip this morning :heart:
    6/15 - 3 miles with the girl
    6/16 - 5 miles
    6/17 - rest day
    6/18 - 4 miles - 5K and mile warm up
    6/19 - too much to do to run day
    6/20 - 4 miles
    6/21 - 3 miles
    6/22 - 5 miles
    6/23 - 4 miles - Skip had 4 on her plan, I had 5 on mine, but she was afraid to run home past the pit bull house alone so I went with her, once my legs saw the house they said "yippe"
    6/24 - rest day
    6/25 - 7 miles with Skip
    6/26 - 4 miles
    6/27 - 5 miles

97 of 100 miles

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning With your downtime, did you find that you lost weight effortlessly? Last time @MobyCarp and I were down at the same time and were surprised with a 3-5 pound loss. I'm on injury recovery again , and am currently down the same 3 pounds.

My assumption is that it's water/glycogen weight. I'd really like to be down honestly 3 pounds!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    6/4 -- 1.71miles -- jog/ walk with Pandora the puppy
    6/5-- rest
    6/6-- 1.5 miles -- jog/ walk on the treadmill (asthma flared up - suck)
    6/7--rest--sick with a cold
    6/8--1.71 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging -yay! a bit wheezy but managed to keep going through it)
    6/9--weights & elliptical
    6/10--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/11--rest day/ dog walking (not counting miles)
    6/13--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/15--1.71 miles--jog/walk with Pan (mostly jogging; very hot & humid at 7pm)
    6/16--1.5 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging; much cooler this evening; knees hurt a bit tho)
    6/17--2.25 miles--RUN/ walk on treadmill
    6/18--resting the knees
    6/19--1.1 miles--did 1 crappy mile on the treadmill when I got a sudden sharp pain under my left knee cap. Tried to run a bit further on it, but pain did not go away. *kitten.*
    6/20--swimming (because knees)
    6/21--nada (because life)
    6/22--zip (life interference again)
    6/23--2.69 miles--walk/penguin shuffle jog around park--knees ok! also stationary bike & 50 minute dog walk (fast pace)
    6/24--stationary bike & calisthenics
    6/25--stationary bike & calisthenics
    6/26--2.21 miles--run/ walk in the park--knees ok! asthma meh. Also walked 4+ miles as a spectator at BF's triathlon (not counting in mileage total though), & did stationary bike in the evening

Goal: 20 miles
    Total: 20.38 miles done, .38 miles over (very modest) goal! Yay!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »

@louubelle16 .....I'm sorry, but that is the most ridiculous thing I (as a physician) have ever heard.....I make a concerted effort NOT to play doctor on any chat room/board, but here is my professional opinion: go NOW and get another opinion.

Excellent advice...@louubelle16 I hope you do go for blood tests right away...