June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 fun idea: largest & smallest races. I've only run a handful of 5ks & they were all one hundred to several hundred participants. A couple were maybe under 100? I've cheered on my BF at the Chicago triathlon, however, which is huge & a complete zoo. I don't know if I'd ever want to participate in an event that big. Although maybe it's just the swim part that freaks me out - - having to wait forever in the water before you can start, and then so many bodies splashing around you that you can't see where you're going (says BF). It's one thing to weave in and out of other runners, but trying to swim around everyone? I don't know. I think I'd get kicked in the face. On the other hand, I've also watched part of the Chicago marathon which is just amazing to see. It's easy to get caught up in the atmosphere just being a spectator - - I can't imagine how exciting it would be as a runner.

@Ohhim did I remember right that you are planning to run in the Chicago marathon this year? Have you run in it before? Has anyone else done it? I'm so curious to hear what your experiences have been like!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Biggest race I ran so far was the Knoxville Half last year which also included the Full Marathon and 5K. A total of about 8,000 racers. The Half and Full runners started together.

Smallest race is our UAH Spring Road Race which draws a little over 200 people.

I prefer the bigger races. In the smaller ones I tend to be around very few people towards the middle of the race towards the finish. In the bigger ones, I have quite a few people that I will be running with.

I am not sure what it would be like to run with 20,000 people tho. I'm sure it gets to the point of too much is too much.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My biggest race was the Route 66 Half Marathon. The half started at the same time (and shared a route with) the full marathon and marathon relay. There was also a 5k, but participation in that was much smaller. I think altogether it was about 15,000 people. That was fun, but also a complete zoo. I signed up late and ended up in the last corral. I finished with an average pace of 10:00/mile, so I spent the whole time passing people. It was pretty annoying, especially around the water stops (which I was skipping), because people would be blocking the entire road trying to get water.

The cool part about starting in the back, though, is that they actually have a thing on the website that breaks it down by 1st 10 miles and last 3 miles and shows you how many people you passed and how many people passed you in those two segments. I passed thousands of people and was only passed by a few hundred in total. So...it makes you feel like a bad MFer.

As for smallest race-probably the A2A marathon. I'm not sure what the total registration was, but probably around 100 to 150 people for the full marathon. Small races can get interesting, since, as @Stoshew71 stated, I tend to end up in a void where I don't have any other runners around me as the race goes on. But, it's nice because you have no one slowing you down and can always get to/through the water stops efficiently and can make good tangents, etc.

Each one has pros and cons, and I guess that's why I'm happy with all different sizes of events. In small races, I can focus on me and doing my very best; at large races, I can enjoy the atmosphere and have a little fun.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @cljoe7 I thought the same thing about the triathlons. I consider myself a good swimmer. I think I might have anxiety about sharing space with so many people, especially in lakes/oceans where there is poor visibility underwater.

Some pretty awesome races run! :smiley:

My husband must be bent on torturing me. He text me asking me to register he and Alex for the Fireball Classic 5k.. really? Fine. The only race action I'm gonna see for bit.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    So today was supposed to be rest day but I had this friend of mine that asked me to help her get back in running with a structured program so I guessed..eh what the hell let's see what he can run. Turns out she didn't stop for 45 minutes and she would have kept going. This is someone who didn't ran since September. Simply amazing.

Next thing I'm gonna do is sign her up for a 5k since she never did a race before. She thinks races are for people that run fast and I was like "Girl you can run without walking for the entire distance you are already faster than most of them"

Also here goes my goal

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    June 1 - 6.1 km - 156/5:47
    June 2 - 5.5 km - 154/6:00
    June 3 - 5.0 km - 153/6:12
    June 4 - 7.0 km - 184/4:25
    June 5 - 6.0 km - 143/6:27
    June 6 - rest
    June 7 - 6.0 km - 143/6:13
    June 8 - 6.8 km - 148/6:11 (Hot)
    June 9 - 5.8 km - 150/5:58
    June 10 - rest
    June 11 - 5.0 km - 184/4:26
    June 12 - 6.0 km - 149/6:05
    June 13 - rest
    June 14 - 7.6 km - 149/6:08
    June 15 - 6.0 km - 150/6:03
    June 16 - 6.0 km - 150/6:12
    June 17 - 7.0 km - 152/6:21 (Hell)
    June 18 - 5.8 km - 150/Slow, I didn't care
    June 19 - 11.0km - 155/6:06 (Easy hell)
    June 20 - rest
    June 21 - 7.0 km - 178/4.37 (tempo)
    June 22 - 6.0 km - 155/6:06
    June 23 - 6.6 km - 152/6:06
    June 24 - 7.0 km - 155/5:54
    June 25 - 6.0 km - 137/8:30
    June 26 - 10.5km - 147/6:11
    June 27 - 6.0 km - ???/7:40

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning With your downtime, did you find that you lost weight effortlessly? Last time @MobyCarp and I were down at the same time and were surprised with a 3-5 pound loss. I'm on injury recovery again , and am currently down the same 3 pounds.

My assumption is that it's water/glycogen weight. I'd really like to be down honestly 3 pounds!
    I actually haven't weighed myself but I am pretty sure I gained weight. I found I was still very hungry for the first week, and I don't think that did me any good at all. :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ohh hey all! End of the month game? What's your largest and smallest race?
    My largest was the Kansas City Marathon 10/17/2015 with over 7,000 total participants (don't know the actual number).

My smallest was the Buffalo Bell Half Marathon on 4/23/2016 with 45 participants.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Largest is IMT Des Moines Half, about 9000 people between half/full which start at same time and place. Smallest is a local 5k in the town where I work. Maybe 100 people?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @louubelle16 glad to hear it....and still shaking my head....

Smallest race is the Waikamalo Challenge (7 miler) in Ninole, HI (about 40 runners) and largest is Las Vegas Rock n Roll: about 38000 participants, of which ~ 25000 were in the 1/2 marathons I "ran".....which reminds me, the LV RnR series has just added a trio of virtual runs....I like doing them because they give me a goal to shoot for (and some swag :p ), and I just can't find enough local races that are on my days off
    www.runrocknroll.com/virtual-run.com
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well I decided to take my first ice bath and I'm sitting here in the bath and I'm *kitten* freezing. Threw a towel on my upper body to keep me warm :)) 10 more minutes to go

Edit: Ok I'm out. I can't feel some extremities bellow my belly but It feel pretty good. Definitely much better than ice packs. And it's not even that cold once you get used to it. Just don't move much. It feels colder if you move.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My smallest races have all still been put on by our local running store--local being "Northern VA" which is enormous, so I'd say the smallest have been around 200 people. I've only done two really big races--the Marine Corp 10K (attached to the marathon, which is huge) and a Disney half marathon. I don't know how big they were, though. Big. Disney was Bigger. :)

Today was not big. Just 4.5 miles on overly crowded trails because school is out now and people have the gall to show up at my park and want to use it. Ugh! ;)

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @5beautifuldays I agree - the gall!

@AdrianChr92 Brrrr...

@louubelle16 Good decision :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @louubelle16 glad to hear it....and still shaking my head....

Smallest race is the Waikamalo Challenge (7 miler) in Ninole, HI (about 40 runners) and largest is Las Vegas Rock n Roll: about 38000 participants, of which ~ 25000 were in the 1/2 marathons I "ran".....which reminds me, the LV RnR series has just added a trio of virtual runs....I like doing them because they give me a goal to shoot for (and some swag :p ), and I just can't find enough local races that are on my days off
    www.runrocknroll.com/virtual-run.com

I thought about doing them too. But don't think I'll be good to run for the first 2. Idk. We'll see.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Started a discussion on HM strategy here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10416323/race-strategy-help/p1?new=1 since I didn't want to clutter up this thread too much, since the month is coming to an end. 1 week to go until my HM and I'm totally going Taper Crazy.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Smallest race, a 15K with 83 finishers. I had to dodge slow 5K runners for the last mile and a half or so; sum of the 15K and 5K entries might have been around 200.

Largest race by a wide margin, Boston. Capped at 30,000. 27,000+ started. 26,639 finished ahead of the cutoff time. Not nearly as much of a zoo as 9,000 in the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge. Sorry, JP Morgan, but BAA knows how to organize a race a lot better than you do.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    2.9 mile run today at a (mostly) easy pace, but it was more humid than I expected. Very sweaty.
    I am juuuuust short of my goal! I should have kept going!

exercise.png

I forgot to mention my smallest race - I know for the 8k I did recently there were 118 finishers listed. I came in 100th (sigh). My very first 5k back in October I finished ABSOLuTELY LAST by many minutes on a college campus with all college students and me, in the rain. There were probably about 100 or slightly fewer people. But hey - I was excited because I had just started running and I finished a 5k! Shut up, kids!!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom you're going to rock 110 in July! Thanks for the input, I think increments of 10 might be the way to go for now!

Got in my trail run, ran a 7:15 mile on average (the first two miles were actually six minute miles but the third mile in I didn't push hard enough, disappointing). Pretty good for 30 degree heat in crops that kept falling down though, haha.

exercise.png

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom you're going to rock 110 in July! Thanks for the input, I think increments of 10 might be the way to go for now!

Got in my trail run, ran a 7:15 mile on average (the first two miles were actually six minute miles but the third mile in I didn't push hard enough, disappointing). Pretty good for 30 degree heat in crops that kept falling down though, haha.

exercise.png

You mean kilometers? 6:00/mi is 10 miles per hour. 6:00/km is 6.2 miles per hour.