June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 that's gorgeous!!!

@RespectTheKitty sorry to hear you are struggling. I've been fighting depression over the past couple of years and it's not so bad right now but running is definitely something that always helps me, at least a little (but often a lot). Keep going, and hope you will feel better.

I ran 5 miles total tonight during my half marathon training group workout. We did a 10 minute warmup, 25 minute tempo run (I averaged about a 10:45 pace during that, but it definitely started faster and went way down toward the end), then a 5 minute cooldown, 5 sprints, and another 10 minute cooldown run. I'm exhausted but happy that I was able to hang in there.

And that puts me over my goal for June by 4.5 miles!

exercise.png

This is my highest monthly total since I started running, my previous best last month was 72.9.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got in a quick 3.5 mile "easy" recovery run today, and I ended up skipping my second workout threshold run as tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, but I'm doing a bike-run ("brick") workout with my tri team in the morning which will take care of the distance and intensity.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 9 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 12 miles
    6/10 - 9 miles
    6/11 - 8 miles
    6/12 - 12 miles
    6/13 - 4 miles
    6/14 - 1 mile
    6/15 - 4 miles
    6/17 - 5.5 miles
    6/19 - 6 miles
    6/20 - 5 miles
    6/21 - 13 miles
    6/22 - 9 miles
    6/23 - 9 miles
    6/24 - 7 miles
    6/25 - 10.5 miles
    6/26 - 12 miles
    6/27 - 4 miles
    6/28 - 3.5 miles

Total: 192.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 7.5 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25

Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5

@cljoe7 - Haven't run the Chicago marathon, but did the R&R half there 2 years ago, so I got to see about half of the course. I used to have an office in the Hancock and probably spent about a year and a half working in the city over the years, so looking forward to returning to Chicago. For my larger races, now that I'm up front, outside of the first mile or two, I haven't had to deal much with crowds and passing, although when I started out, it was a bit annoying dealing with run-walkers who decide to switch activities immediately in front of you. Still, I've had some cluster-kitten races in the past where I've had to do lots of dodging, in particular R&R Las Vegas, where slower marathon runners line up near the front to get around the 5 hour course limit, along with my last Ironman 70.3 (Florida) where they wave-ordered racers in rough opposite order of estimated finishing time to get the roads re-opened faster, which turned the bike & run into an all-out passfest for faster folks who started late.

@MNLittleFinn - For most of my races, I tend to pace based on heart rate. My max is 190, my half marathons average about 172 (starting at 168, finishing the last 2-3 all out), and my marathon average is about 168 (starting at 164, getting up to 172 by mile 20, then going all out at the end). Also, if you've done some good exhausting 10Ks recently, the online race pace calculators tend to work OK (runners world & macmillen) if the weather isn't unusually different from your 10K/5K races. Still, better to start slightly conservatively, then push it if you feel good vs. slogging through the end. Still, as a new runner, you might surprise yourself.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Sorry no time to catch up. Still away on vacation in Canada /// Canada is beautiful- we are in Banff tonight and heading south back toward my sister's in Portland tomorrow.
    6/25 - 5.4 miles downtown Victoria, British Columbia
    6/26 - 2.5 miles on treadmill
    6/27 - 4.2 miles in Salmon Arms, Canada
    6/28 - 4.2 miles in Banff, Canada
    @ddmom0811 Yes we have a pretty sweet country. If your timing had been just a little different you would have been in Banff for the HM ( June 19,2016 ) - and Banff is only a 9 hr drive away from my home town. Unfortunately my leg still has me on the IR Team on the bleachers cheering on my friends ( Local and MFP ) Recognize your picture. If you can go into the Parks Canada building at the end of the bridge and get the picture across the bridge - through downtown Banff and the awesome Mountain backdrop. So many great runs around the community. I spend most of my time up at the Ice Fields Parkway about 1.5 hrs North of Banff along the parkway and at Jasper. Some great runs in Jasper along the upper benchlands.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Running goal is 50 miles for June.

6/6...8 miles
    6/12...4 miles
    6/16... 3.88 miles (rolling hills program on the treadmill)
    6/17...6 miles
    6/18...9 miles
    6/24...5.16 miles (rolling hills program on the treadmill)
    6/25....9 miles
    6/28....4.56 miles

Total is 49.6 miles.....so close. Should be able to meet my goal later today...it's my long run day. Staying at 9 miles due to having a lot of fatigue still...don't want to try to do more than my body is ready to do.

Thanks to everyone for congratulating me on my weight loss goal. I had the toughest time losing the last 10 pounds...it took nearly 2 years. I think what helped most was increasing my water intake and trying to get more sleep. I would eat trying to force myself to stay awake (carbs, of course). I work the night shift..so sleep is always an issue with me.

Will check in again tomorrow.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I ran for the first time since my first HM on Sunday.

I did 10 km at a slow pace in my new Asics GT 2000s, and IT WAS SO YAY. :smile:

@skippygirlsmom Congratulations on reaching goal! That's awesome!
    @louubelle16 Yay, glad your weight is fine. Yay for a nice run! Hope the blood tests show nothing wrong.
    @ddmom0811 Way to rock your goal and snap a pic!

I'm just going to post this, since I read it today, and so much I've thought about today seems to reflect its points:

http://www.runnersworld.com/recovery/use-your-mind-to-restore-your-body-after-a-run

It says that a few things are more helpful after a run than foam rolling, ice baths and massage.

These are:
    • experiencing the awe of nature
    • social interaction
    • positive reflections

It's like they're studying my life!!

Quote:

Research published in Physiology & Behavior reports that the ratio of testosterone to cortisol—which acts as a good indicator of systemic recovery (the higher, the better)—was higher in athletes who watched postgame videos in a social environment with friends than in athletes who watched postgame videos in a neutral environment with strangers. What’s more, the “social group” performed better in competition a week later. “A friendly setting—one that enables you to talk, joke, and debrief with other athletes—seems to help with recovery and future performance,” says study author Christian Cook, Ph.D., professor of physiology and elite performance at Bangor University in the U.K.

The benefits of social interaction are likely rooted in evolution: “Our physiology probably evolved to reward supporting one another,” says Stanford University psychology lecturer Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D. “The basic biology of feeling connected to others has profound effects on stress physiology.” Social connection shifts the nervous system into recovery mode and releases hormones like oxytocin, progesterone, and vasopressin that have anti-inflammatory properties. “What’s even crazier,” she says, “is that oxytocin helps your heart repair. It’s pretty poetic that feeling connected to others literally fixes a broken heart.”

Following a race or hard workout, sticking around at the finish line to cheer others on or grabbing brunch with friends could help initiate a natural recovery process. “Of all the things I’ve tried to expedite recovery after intense training sessions, social interaction seems to work best,” says Steve Magness, author of The Science of Running and University of Houston track and cross-country coach. After his athletes’ hard workouts, Magness “engineers forced social interactions” in the form of team breakfasts and dinners, group cooldowns and debriefs, and game nights. Not only do Magness’s athletes report feeling more recovered after social activities, but they have seen an increase in their heart-rate variability (or the change in time intervals between heartbeats, which serves as a well-accepted indicator of recovery). Magness has found that for most of his athletes, “social recovery has a better impact on heart-rate variability than more traditional recovery techniques like ice baths and massage.”

==

I think this group is helping mentally, emotionally AND physically!

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    6/1: 5 miles
    6/2: 6.4 miles
    6/3: Rest
    6/4: Lazy
    6/5: 9 miles
    6/6: 5 miles
    6/7: 4 miles
    6/8: 6.5 miles << Wednesday group run
    6/9: 6.4 miles << Thursday PUB RUN!
    6/10: Rest day finally
    6/11: 13.1 << Halfway Half (unofficial)
    6/12: 10 miles
    6/13: 6 miles with Joe2Go crew
    6/14: 6.2 miles << Group runner send off! :'(
    6/15: 5 miles
    6/16: 7 miles
    .......: 6.4 miles << Thursday group run!
    6/17: Long awaited rest day
    6/18: 10.2 miles
    6/19: 16 miles
    6/20: 6 miles
    6/21: Rest day
    6/22: 8 miles
    6/23: 7 miles << Buddy-up'd tempo run
    ........: 6.3 miles << Thursday crew run!
    6/24: Rest day!
    6/25: 18 miles!!
    6/26: 8.2 miles
    6/27: 6 miles << Joe 2 Go crew!
    6/28: 3 miles here & there
    6/29: Rest (for now!)

Ran a bit yesterday when I went to cheer a couple friends at a small, club-run XC race. I did their warm-up, ran about .5 mile while spectating, and then a mile cool-down. I am actually taking this morning off but I might run tonight or tomorrow morning depending on how things shake out. After I fell Monday I felt fine, but yesterday and this morning I've had this deep soreness in my right glute/hip (not even the hip I fell onto!) that running last night didn't work out, so I'm gonna take it a little easy. Plus, I when I made my schedule for June I forgot that packing and moving takes a lot of time, and I need to dedicate more time to packing than running so that I can get my crap out of my apartment on time tomorrow. Oops! So I may come a little short of 200 for June, but then I should be shooting past 200 in July!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    7/4: A 4th of July race somewhere!
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Allentown, PA)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    6/1- 4.17
    6/2- 5.79
    6/3-Rest
    6/4-12.25
    6/5-Rest
    6/6- Rest
    6/7-5.03
    6/8-Rest
    6/9-5.0
    6/10- Rest
    6/11-10k race
    6/12- Rest/recovery
    6/13- Rest
    6/14- 9.12
    6/15- 4.02
    6/16- 6.7
    6/17- Rest
    6/18- 12.5 Miles
    6/19- REST
    6/20- REST
    6/21- 3.0 <--First Taper Run
    6/22- 4.05
    6/23- 6.04
    6/24- Rest
    6/25- 9.01
    6/26- 1.56 with wife!
    6/27- Rest
    6/28- 3.01
    6/29-4.01

Mileage goal: 101.3/100

Actual Goal: Finish HM training healthy, begin taper/taper well, feel ready for 7/4 HM.

Today's notes: Made my mileage goal for the month with a day to spare. It was a good little 4 mile run this morning as the sun was coming up. On my run, I got to thinking....bad thing...or not......I only have 5 days until my HM. I'm very seriously considering just skipping tomorrow's run, just doing a VERY short shake out run on Sunday, and chilling and doing nothing but walking with my little guy the other days, so I can heal up and be ready for my first 13.1
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Depression sucks. Used to be running would alleviate the bad moods, but it's not working so well anymore. The depression has adapted, as it always does. Not going to stop running though; it's the only thing that makes me happy anymore. But I may have to add something else to the regime, to fool the depression.

Sorry to be so glum. Like I said, depression sucks. Still, I got a mile into my walk today. I like doing that on my off days, throwing in one running mile into a walk. It makes me feel like I'm running every day, but it doesn't tear up my legs.

Sorry to hear you are struggling so much with depression right now. I've also struggled with it off and on throughout life - - and yes, it really sucks. So from one fellow depression sufferer to another: here are virtual *hugs.* Hang in there. So glad you're sticking with your walk/ runs despite the depression & despite the sore legs. Any little bit to help reduce the depression is important.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33
    6/6 4 miles 37 << Daily Double
    6/7 9 miles 46
    6/7 5 miles 51 << Daily Double
    6/8 6.2 miles 57.2
    6/9 9 miles 66.2
    6/10 6.2 miles 72.4
    6/11 18 miles 90.4
    6/12 REST DAY
    6/13 9 miles 99.4
    6/13 4 miles 103.4 << Daily Double
    6/14 9 miles 112.4
    6/14 4 miles 116.4 << Daily Double
    6/15 6.2 miles 122.6
    6/16 9 miles 131.6
    6/16 5 miles 136.6 << Daily Double FF Pub Run at Yellowhammer
    6/17 6.2 miles 142.8
    6/18 18 miles 160.8
    6/19 REST DAY
    6/20 9 miles 169.8
    6/20 4 miles 173.8 << Daily Double
    6/21 9 miles 182.8
    6/21 4 miles 186.8 << Daily Double
    6/22 5 miles 191.8
    6/23 5.5 miles 197.3
    6/24 3.1 miles 200.4
    6/25 11.1 miles 211.5
    6/26 REST DAY
    6/27 9 miles 220.5
    6/27 4 miles - 224.5 << Daily Double
    6/28 9 miles - 233.5
    6/28 4 miles - 237.5 << Daily Double
    6/29 5 miles - 242.5

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71
    Here are the official pace groups:

1:30
    1:40
    1:50
    1:55
    2:00
    2:00
    2:05
    2:10
    2:20
    2:30
    2:40
    3:00

This is, literally the only reason I'm thinking about this, there's no pace group that fits my pace. 2:10 is faster than I think I can do, but 2:20 seems too slow. if there was a 2:15 pacer, I'd be golden, and after starting out my 10k too fast I don't want to repeat that mistake again.

@louubelle16 is it sad that this isn't me over thinking something? This is my normal thinking speed/intensity...LOL
    @WhatMeRunning Only reason I'm concerned about just going by feel is that I usually feel great....going way too fast in the first few miles.......

Thanks for the help guys. and, no worries, I do this stuff for FUN.....for me the analysis is just a fun thing to do, and then when it comes time for running, I normally throw it all out the window and zen run like @PoppetsMaster

Makes sense. I have a feeling that you will want to drop your pacer real fast tho. LOL
    Usually once things start to flow, you will notice other people going about the same pace as you want to go. Everyone sort of flows and synchs with each other as the race moves on. If you know what your ideal pace should be, and you notice a group of people doing that, don't be afraid to attach to them.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 I'm thinking I'll just line up right next to the 2:20 pacer. Then I'll be behind the 2:10 group and hopefully be in position to find some runners going the pace I want. After that it's all just seeing how it goes.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    By the way, cute kid you have.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/29 - rest day and I picked a bad day for that it's like 74F and 70% humidity LOL

irdzl6p2dsr1.jpg

@kristinegift I must have missed where you fell, ouch feel better soon. Sounds like you pulled the other hip on your fall.
    @respectThekitty I'm sorry about the depression hugs!
    @katharmonic @sweetdianachka awesome month!
    @MNlittleFInn love your chill pix with the Little Man, he's a mini you. Congrats on goal!
    @greenolivetree what a day with your car, how annoying
    @cljoe7 yeah for a run with no knee or asthma issues
    @ddmom0811 wow what a beautiful place
    @ereck44 those last 10 lbs are always the worst
    @orphia thank you. Interesting post on the social aspect, I tend to hang around after races because I can always find someone to chat with (and usually Skip won something LOL) but I like to train alone.

Congrats to all who have met goal already woohoo!!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn does the race have pacers? For my last half I used one because I wanted to make sure that I didn't go out too fast (I have that habit too) since I was recovering from an injury. A few miles with them allowed me to get into a happy pace and then I slowly pulled away and finished a head of them.

yeah, they have pacers. I'm planning on sticking with the 2:20:00 pacer for like the first 5k, then use a big downhill, before the major uphill, to gain some speed so I am at a good "cruising speed" as I enter the 1 mile 130 foot climb. 2:20:00 is actually about 35 seconds slower per mile than my training pace, so it should make the first few miles easier.

There's a decent dip halfway up the climb, so I should be ok pushing a little on the climb as there will be a chance to recover a little before finishing the climb.

Here's how I have it mapped on Strava: https://www.strava.com/routes/5060879

What other pacers are there?
    Training pace is way slower than racing pace. While you should take it easy at the beginning of the race, you don't want to go too slow either. 35 seconds slower than training pace just seems quite a bit conservative.

Also, if there is a lot of people, the beginning couple of miles will be slow anyway since it takes time for the lead runners to break away enough to relieve congestion caused in the middle and back of the pack.

2:20:00 = 10:41/mi pace

Is there a 2:15 pace group? That's a 10:18 pace. You are still 12 seconds slower than training pace.

Just a thought.

I am in agreement with this. I think you can handle it.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    6/3 - Pre-HM rest day. Too bad, it is a beautiful morning! So, I am drinking extra water and I ate donuts!
    6/4 - 13.3 miles at Dam to Dam Half. It was sunny and hot. Sun was brutal. Running was pretty good, but my splits went up gradually over the final 4 miles. Atmosphere was good pre and post-race. Had fun!
    6/5 - Rest day + lots of kids' sports.
    6/6 - 4.01 mile "recovery" run. I am not good at intentionally keeping my pace slow. I intended 9-9.5 minute miles.
    6/7 - 5.35 miles. Longer than intended, because I didn't plan my route and had to get back home. Oh well, bonus 0.85 mile.
    6/8 - 3.3 miles on treadmill, then upper body weights and abs.
    6/9 - 4.5 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Cut it a bit short as a pain in my "hip" was causing me to alter my stride. Not sure where it came from, hoping it was just sore.
    6/10 - 3.78 miles in the hot, humid weather. It was 73° at 5 a.m.! Again, shortened due to hip pain. Dr. Google says it might be greater trochanteric bursitis. Anti-inflammatories, extra ITB and hammy stretches and a reduction in mileage are in order.
    6/11 - Rest day, plus stretches and anti-inflammatory med. Lots of housework though.
    6/12 - Ditto.
    6/13 - 3.5 miles, still hot and humid. Again, hip pain started. This time, I stopped immediately.
    6/14 - Decided I am going to take a break for a week or two, try to start July fresh. So, today I went to a Bodypump class and then rode a stationary bike. Gonna be sore.
    6/15 - Sore! Went light with the weights in Bodypump, still shuffling like an old man. I used to do it 2-3 days a week, but kinda dropped off about 18 months ago.
    6/16 - Still sore, but went back to Bodypump and the stationary bike. I miss running :-(
    6/17 - Spin Class. It was pretty fun, got to see some of my running buddies at the Y.
    6/19 - Bodypump class...harder at 3:30 on a Sunday afternoon than at 5:00 a.m.
    6/21 - Bodypump class and a short, ginger 1.5 miles on an indoor track. Didn't hurt, but felt weird. May try a 3-miler later this week.
    6/22 - Rest.
    6/23 - Airport, convention center, hotel...didn't manage to squeeze in a workout.
    6/24 - 3.3 miles on hotel treadmill, then upper body weights.
    6/25 - 3.2 miles on hotel treadmill
    6/26 - Bodypump class
    6/27 - 3.5 miles outside. Tried to keep things flat. Hip didn't hurt, but definitely tight. Saw my PCP today for something else. Discussed hip (he's a runner), he indicated that bursitis or ITB were likely candidate. As I thought, reduce mileage, extra rest, stretching. Plus, strengthening exercises. If not improving / better, see specialist.
    6/28 - Rest Day.
    6/29 - 9.3 miles on stationary bike, then a cautious 2.5 miles on treadmill. No pain :smile:

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. I don't know if yesterday just exhausted me, or if I'm getting sick (I had a lump in my throat awhile last night, hurt to swallow), or I'm burnt out (not enough sleep, the heat is draining, and I'm bored with running the same streets)........ Alarm started going off at 5:15 and I've been using my fitbit silent alarm to get myself awake before hubby because I need time before jumping out of bed. Today, I fell back asleep again, and again. Finally up at 5:45 and out the door at 6 to run my 10k.

1/4 mile into running I was already thinking "I'm so hot. Why am I so hot? It's not that hot out here. But I feel like I'm going to burn up." I aborted the run at 2 miles. It just wasn't happening today. Something didn't feel right. I honestly still feel just completely BLAH.

So I figure my options are: 1) Finish the run tonight 2) Run it tomorrow morning and then take off Sunday instead of Thursday 3) Accept that I apparently need to rest and be happy with just over 70 miles this month and not 75 because after all my goal was only 50 miles.

@lporter229 Nice runs yesterday!

@kristinegift I also missed that you fell on Monday???? Did you fall running or doing something else?

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 I'm thinking I'll just line up right next to the 2:20 pacer. Then I'll be behind the 2:10 group and hopefully be in position to find some runners going the pace I want. After that it's all just seeing how it goes.

One more thing to consider. As long as you are between both pace groups, you should be fine.

Figure the 2:20 guy should be running an average 10:41 pace & the 2:10 guy should be 9:55 pace.
    If you hang with the 2:20 guy, theoretically the next pace group should be about 45 seconds ahead of you at the mile 1 marker.

In my experience, this rarely happends, since the congestion at the beginning of the race will slow everybody down. pace groups will be bunched up together more at the first couple of miles. A good pacer will account for this, the first mile will be slower than the average, but the next few miles will be faster than the average until they "catch up" to the pace they are supposed to be running at. Now these pacers should have a PR that is at least 30 minutes faster than the group they are supposed to be pacing. That means it is no big deal to them if they went a minute faster to make up the time loss due to congestion. A good pacer won't be this extreme and will make up the time over many miles while a poor pacer will try to make up the time quickly. Something to look out for. Pay attention to your watch as the pacer picks up the pace. Make sure you don't go into an extreme pace. Don't be afraid to let the pace group go a little bit as they make up the loss. They will eventually slow down for you to catch up and maybe even pass them.

If the pace isn't so extreme, (I figure your golden pace to be around 10:10-10:15 min/mi). So if at mile 1 marker, if you are behind the next pace group by like 20 seconds, you are OK. You should still be able to see that next pace group for the next 2-3 miles after that. They are only 20 seconds faster (per mile) than your golden pace. By then, you will be able to find an impromptu pace group going just about what you need to do.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Also, at every mile mark (at least if it is a good race) there will either be a clock and/or a timer person calling out times. That is the overall gun time elapse. Again, assuming your golden pace to be around 10:15, you want to be close to that mile marker with the clock or person calling out "10:15". But if it is more than 10:15, it's because your pace was slowed for that first mile due to congestion. So, the next mile mark, your goal is to be closer to 20:30
    mile 3 closer to 30:45
    mile 4 closer to 41:00

It's like the Price Is Right, get as close to those times without going over.

You hear so much about runner's math. LOL These are one of the many calculations they are trying to figure out in their head. Problem is, as the race wears on, these claculations become harder and harder to do. So they make a cheat pace bracelet that you can download and wear around your wrist:

http://www.runnersworld.com/pace-calculators/pace-wristband-creator
    http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/PaceBandCreator.cfm

This way, every time you hit a mile mark, you look at your wrist and see the time you are supposed to hit. This takes calculating paces in your head no longer a worry (when at mile 6 you are thinking to yourself what is 15 plus 15 again?) it is perfectly normal to forget simple arithmetic in the middle of a race. ;-)
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/6: 4.5 Miles
    3/6: 3.4 Miles
    5/6: 3.7 Miles
    6/6: 3.4 Miles
    8/6: 3.7 Miles
    10/6: 5.0 Miles
    13/6: 4.2 Miles
    15/6: 6.3 Miles
    17/6: 4.4 Miles