June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Started a discussion on HM strategy here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10416323/race-strategy-help/p1?new=1 since I didn't want to clutter up this thread too much, since the month is coming to an end. 1 week to go until my HM and I'm totally going Taper Crazy.

I was gonna comment on the page, but decided to comment here amongst friends.

As @PoppetsMaster always says, you need more zen. :-)

I agree. More zen. Relax and enjoy the race. You have done everything you can to prepare, so you have to just let go and trust in your training. Any excessive worrying you do will only have a negative impact at this point. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out...Starting to feel that zen? ;)

@MNLittleFinn just enjoy this video and namaste!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmzfot_6HcE&index=2

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Most of us feel you pain. More Zen definitely. Find something to do in place of your normal running time- walk, swim, play video games, read?

It's maddening to feel you've lost your purpose. Least, that's how I feel. Just getting coffee is balls hard now. And for some reason I'm like a little kid when I have to poop now, all my clothes need to come off. Wth? Oh wait, this isn't about me..... you got this man! Train your brain now, visualize the run, plot your strategy as if you were literally flying the course. Be free mighty runner.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm walking 3x a day with my little guy 30-50 minutes a walk. I think it's just all the excitement getting to me. Race numbers and packet pick up info go out tomorrow, so it's getting more real. That and the whole doubting ones self part of taper.....lol. Thanks for helping keep me "sane" guys
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm stuck here another 2 hours getting a water pump. I'd rather be running :D At least I got a complimentary bottle of water with the $350 water pump. @skippygirlsmom Woohoo! @MNLittleFinn Relax - you got this!

@greenolivetree what more could you ask for LOL!!! Tell them my nail salon gives me complimentary water with a $12 manicure, they need to step with their game. Thanks also!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom you're going to rock 110 in July! Thanks for the input, I think increments of 10 might be the way to go for now!

Got in my trail run, ran a 7:15 mile on average (the first two miles were actually six minute miles but the third mile in I didn't push hard enough, disappointing). Pretty good for 30 degree heat in crops that kept falling down though, haha.

exercise.png

You mean kilometers? 6:00/mi is 10 miles per hour. 6:00/km is 6.2 miles per hour.

@ROBOTFOOD I put the time from my fitbit activity through a calculator because math isn't my strong suit and Canadian so imperial is foreign- did I convert wrong? I ran just over 6km in 29 minutes and 11 seconds, the calculator spat out 7:15? Maybe I should just track in km lol.

6km in 29 min means either 4:51 min/km or 7:49 min/mile

Rarely see runners use kmh or mph as their speed. I suggest you should track it in the same system as your distance tracking. If you use km, use min/km, if you use miles use min/mile. As for distances there are just a few you should know in both km or miles to make it easier

5k = 3.1 miles
    8k = 5 miles. This one is helpful. 10 miles mean 16k and so on. 4k is 2.5 miles.
    10k = 6.2 miles
    Half (21.1k) = 13.1 miles
    Marathon (42.2k) = 26.2 miles

Still managed to mis-math it then somehow (lol) but didn't realize min/mile was what I dropped that was confusing. Next month I'll just track in km I guess, imperial conversion and not sympatico. Thank you @AdrianChr92 :)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom They do have coffee but I don't drink coffee. They should have donuts. Or a fruit bowl. I'm starved :p
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift -maybe you can post that taper madness video you posted for me for @MNLittleFinn . It's so freaking funny. I will try to find it.

ETA: Here you go...Enjoy (and relish in the fact that you are definitely not alone!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqt17NMauoM

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @lporter229 and @kristinegift LOL Love It!!!

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ohh hey all! End of the month game? What's your largest and smallest race?

Largest race: 2016 Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10-miler) 34,446 finishers
    Smallest race: 2012 Rattlesnake Run (5K) 132 finishers - only time I ever placed in a race! haha
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift -maybe you can post that taper madness video you posted for me for @MNLittleFinn . It's so freaking funny. I will try to find it.

ETA: Here you go...Enjoy (and relish in the fact that you are definitely not alone!)

I'll be watching this as soon as my little guy is napping
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    01/06 4 miles
    07/06 4 miles
    08/06 4 miles
    09/06 4 miles
    12/06 3 miles
    17/06 4 miles
    28/06 4miles - another disaster of a month time planning wise. But a few runs are better than no runs or so I tell myself.

exercise.png

@skippygirlsmom - Congratulations on reaching goal!
    @MNLittleFinn - Best wishes for you upcoming race!
  • HSM2673
    HSM2673 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    June 1- 2 mi walk
    June 2- 3 mi run
    June 3- 1 mi walk
    June 4- 1 mi walk, 3 mi run
    June 5- 1 mi walk
    June 6- 1 mi walk, 3 mi run
    June 7- 1 mi walk
    June 8- 3 mi run
    June 9- 1 mi walk
    June 10- 1 mi walk
    June 11- 3 mi run (race day!)
    June 12- REST
    June 13- 3 mi run, 1 mi walk,
    June 14- 2 mi walk
    June 15- 2.5 mi run/walk (in the HEAT :persevere: )
    June 16- 2.3 mi walk
    June 17- 3.2 mi run
    June 18/19 - REST
    June 20- 1 mi walk
    June 21- 1 mi walk
    June 22- 3.5 mi run, 1 mi walk
    June 23- 1 mi walk
    June 24- 1 mi walk
    June 25- nope
    June 26- still nothing
    June 27- 3.5 mi run

So close! I think I picked a great goal for my first month, pretty much right on target. Now to think about next month...

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure I had all of that happen to me in the last week. This is my first ever taper, so I totally was't ready for it.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    LOL Great video. I know nothing of tapering but I know injury healing and I'd say it's kind of similar, especially wondering if you ever even were a runner ;)

@Orphia Cute shoes!

Worst day ever (okay, not really). But 4 hours in a car shop before they admitted they had the wrong part delivered and sent me away in a rental. Sheesh. And I almost starved to death (that part is true).

I need to run 10k in the morning to hit my stretch goal of 75 miles. Because I want Thurs morning off.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom That's some good advice. I'm trying to tell myself that I need to keep a certain pace for the first 4-5 miles so I don't burn out with all the uphill, so I can drop the hammer in the second half....I have a problem going too fast....... oh, yeah, congrats on making your goal! you beat me to 100! Hoping to finish my goal tomorrow with a real easy run again.

Only 2 more runs in the month and only 2-3 total before the race! If I do a shake out run on Sun. Taking Fri and Sat totally of running, though I'll probably walk 4-5 miles with little man each of those days.

@greenolivetree you'll knock out 10k tomorrow morning no problem, and have your goal met!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    PSA for my fellow running shoe hoarders:
    The Hoka Cliffton 3 drops in 2 days!!!! :smiley:
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn does the race have pacers? For my last half I used one because I wanted to make sure that I didn't go out too fast (I have that habit too) since I was recovering from an injury. A few miles with them allowed me to get into a happy pace and then I slowly pulled away and finished a head of them.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn does the race have pacers? For my last half I used one because I wanted to make sure that I didn't go out too fast (I have that habit too) since I was recovering from an injury. A few miles with them allowed me to get into a happy pace and then I slowly pulled away and finished a head of them.

yeah, they have pacers. I'm planning on sticking with the 2:20:00 pacer for like the first 5k, then use a big downhill, before the major uphill, to gain some speed so I am at a good "cruising speed" as I enter the 1 mile 130 foot climb. 2:20:00 is actually about 35 seconds slower per mile than my training pace, so it should make the first few miles easier.

There's a decent dip halfway up the climb, so I should be ok pushing a little on the climb as there will be a chance to recover a little before finishing the climb.

Here's how I have it mapped on Strava: https://www.strava.com/routes/5060879