Unwanted attention

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    ForMe2No wrote: »
    Just as @emdeesea state I have abuse in my past as well but never put the two together. My weight gain came in my late teens and I think I just never moved enough and I like sweets. I do understand where you are coming from though. I have never been comfortable with being the center of attention so it is a little uncomfortable but I too just ignore it and keep moving. But what really creeps me out a bit is the way one or two of my male relatives look at me and want to greet me with a hug but never greeted me with a hug before...down right creepy and I never saw them as that type of guy.

The kind of guy that likes to hug his relatives? I don't understand.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I can not say i know how you feel, but I have a few thoughts. The fact that men notice you means you have done a good job in losing weight and that you are an attractive women. What you dont know is that women notice too, but are probably less obvious or you dont notice because you dont feel that they are a threat. Our past experiences definitely influence the way we see the world.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same feelings of discomfort (for attention from both sexes). As I lose weight, those feelings rise to the surface and it's a battle everyday. I find it difficult to even accept people's increased friendliness to me - I feel like I'm in the spotlight and it's a very uncomfortable place for me, especially since I've spent most of my life blending into the background unnoticed.
  • sc487
    sc487 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Carry a big-*kitten* walking stick everywhere you go. If people ask, tell tem you have a bad ankle (I do, convenient excuse). People will look from a distance but even the most branded moron knows big stick = big pain.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight was with a 12 step group. Around 80+ lbs.
    I was normally the only guy in my group so the compliments came; and came, and came. At times they were a bit more colorful than they should be; asking me to dance on the table. Being leered at by my wife's coworkers. Some cute, some creepy.
    Learned a lot through that experience. To this day I'm extremely hesitant to compliment a woman; unless we are close enough and then I'm somewhat hesitant.

I "like" this-- not that you were harassed, but that you're sharing your experience. It's a great example of what women have to deal with, how uncomfortable it is. I hope other guys take it to heart and change their behavior too!
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I find this discussion interesting--the OP asked about:
    is anyone else experiencing discomfort when being admired by strangers, even though they say or do nothing threatening, or is it just me reacting to my past experiences?

and others have expanded this to cat calls, unwanted physical interaction, and physical attacks. Although I agree gawking is rude, it is not at the same level as the rest. Why are some treating as if they are?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I find this discussion interesting--the OP asked about:
    is anyone else experiencing discomfort when being admired by strangers, even though they say or do nothing threatening, or is it just me reacting to my past experiences?

and others have expanded this to cat calls, unwanted physical interaction, and physical attacks. Although I agree gawking is rude, it is not at the same level as the rest. Why are some treating as if they are?

It's not fun to talk about the normality of men being attracted to women in a healthy manner?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am just awful remembering people so I am always afraid they know me and I don't recognize them!
  • nalinisooknanan
    nalinisooknanan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots of unwanted attention. started self defence classes, feel a bit better already!
  • opalquartz
    opalquartz Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Why in the world would that make sense? You would have to read the thing to know what it was about. Sounds like what children are doing on college campuses now-which is why grown up people don't want to hire tge little darlings.

Now back to the topic at hand.

Maybe I didn't explain the concept very well. Google is at your disposal, as always.
    I, at least, try to err on the side of kindness, especially since it takes little to no effort on my part. Nobody is saying adding warnings is mandatory. It takes me half a second to add "tw: whatever" if I make a post, which people can then choose to scroll past rather than reading an in-depth discussion of something they may rather not immerse themselves in at the moment. Surely you see the difference between a one-word warning vs. reading the whole thing to know what it's about?

And sure, blame the job crisis on things like trigger warnings, that makes perfect sense. It's got nothing to do with the effects of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression and hyperinflated costs of a college education. It's those darn oversensitive millennials' own fault that they grew up in an inhospitable economic climate.

Yes, back on topic, after the detour I made to answer your initial, off-topic question.

--

Thanks for your response, OP. You sound like a very strong person!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    opalquartz wrote: »

Why in the world would that make sense? You would have to read the thing to know what it was about. Sounds like what children are doing on college campuses now-which is why grown up people don't want to hire tge little darlings.

Now back to the topic at hand.

Maybe I didn't explain the concept very well. Google is at your disposal, as always.
    I, at least, try to err on the side of kindness, especially since it takes little to no effort on my part. Nobody is saying adding warnings is mandatory. It takes me half a second to add "tw: whatever" if I make a post, which people can then choose to scroll past rather than reading an in-depth discussion of something they may rather not immerse themselves in at the moment. Surely you see the difference between a one-word warning vs. reading the whole thing to know what it's about?

And sure, blame the job crisis on things like trigger warnings, that makes perfect sense. It's got nothing to do with the effects of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression and hyperinflated costs of a college education. It's those darn oversensitive millennials' own fault that they grew up in an inhospitable economic climate.

Yes, back on topic, after the detour I made to answer your initial, off-topic question.

--

Thanks for your response, OP. You sound like a very strong person!

I understand that trigger warnings have their place, but there was no in depth discussion of a triggering topic in the OP.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say it's great that you got to the root of your weight gain and were able to face it down. You are strong. Yes it's normal to be uneasy when situations remind you of trauma. Facing it over and over and realizing you don't need to react will help a lot, and if you have a therapist maybe they can give you good strategies for dealing with this.

Congratulations on your weight loss and best wishes on your recovery.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!