The theory we immediately gain weight after sudden weight loss is a false and heres why.

Options

Replies

• johnturnerbradley
    johnturnerbradley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have just had a nose at your profile Hornsby and you went from 203 pounds to 173 pounds... Did you consume 1900 calories for breakfast then? Did you eat 200 grams of sugar per day?

If not, why not?
  • johnturnerbradley
    Options
    AmusedMonk, thank you for your comment. Haha yeah nuts are good in proportion but they are way too modish sometimes.

But its above over consuming in any shape or form and this is to everyone. If we sat there eating 1000 apples per day we get fatter.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If we sat there eating 1000 apples per day we get fatter.

We'd die, not get fatter.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I have just had a nose at your profile Hornsby and you went from 203 pounds to 173 pounds... Did you consume 1900 calories for breakfast then? Did you eat 200 grams of sugar per day?

If not, why not?

No, I was not maintaining my weight then, I was losing weight. So I ate less everything to create a deficit. And to be clear the 1900 for breakfast comment was a tongue and cheek comment.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I agree that many people have trigger foods (mine is chocolate) but many have taught themselves moderation and how to control the food. Some can not resist and overindulge. But it can be any food, not just sugary things. Each of us has our own of dealing with it. Never going near it or moderation. I do not agree that any food is evil. For me it is working so far, 2-1/2 years into maintenance of a 160 pound weight loss. I am happy, my family is happy, and my doctor is happy, so it works for me.
  • HikerEd
    HikerEd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HikerEd, if your hiking and using 7000 calories then then of course you need to maintain energy levels. But if you were just to include Dextrose/Maltodextrin mix in your diet per day amongst everything else it would be far from ideal if you were not burning them. It would turn to fat.

I would never use dextrose or maltodextrin in powdered form outside of a scenario like the above.
    Think of all the wonderful things you could eat with the same macros :-)
  • johnturnerbradley
    Options
    Just generally to anyone reading this post - yes if we over consume foods or have excess sugar or in fact combine high sugar foods with carbs and not burning them we will add fat we all know this but this was not that main point.

The main point was that soooooo many people have said they tried to lose weight and been on a diet or exercise regime for week, two weeks etc they have lost 4 pounds and 2 days later the weight is back on. Lots of people discount water weight as a reason to why they have regained the weight and many get disheartened.

I am sure there will be people who may not agree that instant weight gain is due to water. Try what I have mentioned regarding training and restricted diet, go back to the ''old'' way of life for another 3-4 days, see if the weight you lost has been put back on and then repeat the cardio and strict diet for 2 days and see if you have lost weight again.

Being an ex-boxer getting 'dry' to make weight was common and still is today. Water weight can play havoc with the scales and just because you may of regained 3-4 lbs in a short space of time do not get disheartened get back on the running machine and see if the weight goes again.

• johnturnerbradley
    Options
    If we sat there eating 1000 apples per day we get fatter.

We'd die, not get fatter.

hypothetical situation
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So basically what you are saying is that some weight gain immediately after a dieting phase and weight loss is not necessarily fat irrespective of the dieting method and therefore not to be worried about so chill out?
  • johnturnerbradley
    Options
    HikerEd wrote: »
    HikerEd, if your hiking and using 7000 calories then then of course you need to maintain energy levels. But if you were just to include Dextrose/Maltodextrin mix in your diet per day amongst everything else it would be far from ideal if you were not burning them. It would turn to fat.

I would never use dextrose or maltodextrin in powdered form outside of a scenario like the above.
    Think of all the wonderful things you could eat with the same macros :-)

haha very true
  • HikerEd
    HikerEd Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Being an ex-boxer getting 'dry' to make weight was common and still is today. Water weight can play havoc with the scales and just because you may of regained 3-4 lbs in a short space of time do not get disheartened get back on the running machine and see if the weight goes again.

This is very very true.
    Just replenishing your glycogen (and the attendant water gain which comes with it) can make this kind of a difference!

• johnturnerbradley
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

If not, why not?

No, I was not maintaining my weight then, I was losing weight. So I ate less everything to create a deficit. And to be clear the 1900 for breakfast comment was a tongue and cheek comment.

So you ate 200 grams of sugar per day to maintain weight? Why would you do that?
  • johnturnerbradley
    Options
    I agree that many people have trigger foods (mine is chocolate) but many have taught themselves moderation and how to control the food. Some can not resist and overindulge. But it can be any food, not just sugary things. Each of us has our own of dealing with it. Never going near it or moderation. I do not agree that any food is evil. For me it is working so far, 2-1/2 years into maintenance of a 160 pound weight loss. I am happy, my family is happy, and my doctor is happy, so it works for me.

Congrats on maintaining! Haha yeah Chocolate can be a bit of a tricky one especially as it's so small but tastes so nice. I do not stay away from any food, if it's cheat evening or cheat day if i want it ill have it.

Personally I would not recommend anyone eating more sugar than required when trying to lose weight... in my opinion there are better foods to select that will nutritionally compliment their weight loss goals.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

If not, why not?

So you ate 200 grams of sugar per day to maintain weight? Why would you do that?

No, I ate less of everything including sugar.

I like fruit, especially pineapples and bananas and they have lots of sugar. I like Tootsie Pops. I prefer sugar as quick energy when exercising. It tastes good. Those are some of the reasons why.
  • johnturnerbradley
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - congrats on your success but you are slipping into evangelism for what worked for you and then projecting that into advice for everybody.

I was successful losing weight with a very different strategy. Sugar and carbs in general are simply not an issue for me, not the reason I gained weight either. My strategy would most likely only be suitable for a small proportion of people and I certainly don't think everyone needs to do the same as me, that would be silly. The one constant for successful weight loss is achieving a sustainable calorie deficit over an extended period of time and adherence is incredibly personal.

There's days I have extraordinary high levels of both sugar and carbs in general - think 800g of carbs was my highest? But that's in context of my exercise needs, to say they are evil is missing the point of context.

What was your strategy of losing weight, how much did you lose and how long did it take you?

I agree, the way in which each and everyone achieves our goals is individual and creating our own strategy or looking for a template to work off of is more likely to succeed long term.

But if someone was overweight and they wanted to know how I lost so much then I guarantee my strategy would work for them. It's not to say others wouldn't do the same but as general proven guidance keep carbs and sugar low watch the calories and see the weight fly off.
  • johnturnerbradley
    Options

If not, why not?

No, I ate less of everything including sugar.

I like fruit, especially pineapples and bananas and they have lots of sugar. I like Tootsie Pops. I prefer sugar as quick energy when exercising. It tastes good. Those are some of the reasons why.

Ah Ok, so you do agree with me then, reduce carbs and sugar to lose weight.

Now you like sugar because your aim is different. Thats just practical. For anyone looking to achieve mass or gain weight then sugar is good.