Am I the only runner in the world that doesn't hate the treadmill?

Options
13»

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my treadmill, it is always there for me, rain or shine!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I used to hate treadmills, and I still don't love them. However, it's hotter than Satan's ball sack in Florida right now; a planned three-mile run ended up as a 1.5 mile run and 1.5 mile walk because I chose the wrong clothes and felt f--king awful. I'm starting to think that either I'll run at the park or begin loving the treadmill, because for some reason the circuit around the block is horrid, even at 5:30 in the evening.

Suck it up buttercup :) That's Florida training :)

Haha, honestly I think most of it was really, REALLY foolish clothing choice (a black cotton tee... really, self???). For some reason the park isn't quite as awful. The weather isn't going to kowtow if/when I start doing 5K events so you're right... gotta get used to it |D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Lots of people, everyday day in and day out run on the treadmill rather than outside. Trust you're not an anomaly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lots of people, everyday day in and day out run on the treadmill rather than outside. Trust you're not an anomaly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah I'm aware lots of people use them. But to hear so many of them talk, they hate it and act like it's some kind of torture device. Glad to see there are others like me who actually don't mind it at all.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I used to hate treadmills, and I still don't love them. However, it's hotter than Satan's ball sack in Florida right now; a planned three-mile run ended up as a 1.5 mile run and 1.5 mile walk because I chose the wrong clothes and felt f--king awful. I'm starting to think that either I'll run at the park or begin loving the treadmill, because for some reason the circuit around the block is horrid, even at 5:30 in the evening.

Yea...I'm in Florida, too. Even when it turns dark, the temp is still 90℉. Since its gotten hot, I've been sticking to Max 10K runs, and heading out by 9am and just suffering through it, telling myself that I'm conditioning myself.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying it lately. I always used to run outside and liked it, but this time around I found a gym I liked and running on the treadmill in an environment that felt motivating and uplifting was nice. I only hate how hot and sweaty I get. I wish I had a fan on me. I missed just running. It takes so long to work up to running when outside but in a month to 6 weeks I was able to run an hour on the treadmill. I want to run outside again so I can do races but I'm happy on the treadmill for the moment!
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running on the treadmill! I don't have to carry water, or my phone, and I can watch the numbers for motivation (I switch from "only 20 more seconds" to "only .10 of a mile", back and forth between the two gets me through a workout.)

This also. I'm a thirsty runner so I love just having water right there. And chasing the clock or doing intervals just passes the time so nicely. I no longer find the treadmill tedious. And I like being able to catch up on a tv show or some YouTube videos with less guilt of feeling like a couch potato.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I like the treadmill...mostly because running on pavement always gives me stress fractures. Plus, it's just too hot and humid to run outside in the summer.

Oh, and I can't run outside while reading a book. I can totally treadmill and read a book at the same time. w00t

I do like running in the cold though. My PR for a mile came in 10F weather. I was motivated to get back inside. lol.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill and running outside pretty much equally, which is to say that I don't really enjoy either but it's good exercise so I do it.

I will generally run outside when the weather is in a pretty narrow ideal temperature range, not raining, etc. Otherwise I'll do the treadmill. They're both boring as hell to me, so I don't have a strong preference. I don't usualyl run for longer than 45 minutes either way. If I want to be outside appreciating the outdoors or nice weather, I'd rather be walking. Running is something I just want to get over with.