Back to vegan, but scared

Options
1235»

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Why put any label on it? Just eat the food you want to eat when you want to eat it.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    I know one doesn't equate to the other, but the common theme is the bigotry behind the proponents and their followers. And the constant need to pontificate/codify a certain belief system.

If the vegans you have met have a constant need to pontificate, I suggest you meet some new vegans. There are many of us who aren't that interested in pontificating. I'll answer questions when asked, but most people I know aren't even aware that I'm vegan or only know it because they have noticed what I'm eating (in group settings) and asked me directly about it.

As far as vegan bigotry, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Most vegans have been non-vegans and have loved ones who are non-vegan. My husband, stepfather, siblings, and most of my friends aren't vegan. I love and cherish them all. I'm not some rare bird -- most of the vegans I have met have cherished non-vegans in their lives.

I've never understood this. If, as a vegan, you believe that it is unethical and murderous to exploit, kill, and/or consume other living things then how can you tolerate associating with people who are basically on the same level as serial killers?

Looking at history shows us that many people who are consistently exercise goodness and kindness have "blindspots" in their compassion and/or empathy, groups which are exempted from the ethical guidelines they use when interacting with others. How do I know that I don't have some myself, ones that I won't feel regretful for in the future or will seem very clear to future generations but are now not visible to me?

I don't think non-vegans are the equivalent of serial killers, I don't think they are on the same level.

Is it always easy to spend so much time with non-vegans? No, there are sometimes challenges. But all interpersonal relationships have challenges. I have friends and siblings who disagree with some of *my* ethical choices and demonstrate for me how to nurture friendship and love even across great differences. For an example, my husband and I have great political differences -- he thinks I support policies that can hurt people and make the world a worse place. But we talk about it, try to understand the other's POV. I don't think he thinks his life would be better if he never associated with people like me. I know my life wouldn't be better if I never associated with people like him.

But if you are vegan because you believe all life is sacred how can you rationalize accepting someone who purposely exploits and actively ends those lives. If I found out that someone I loved was actually a member of the Ku Klux Klan and engaged in lynching black people on weekends I would stop associating with them because what they are doing is absolutely horrible.

How hollow is your belief in the sanctity of life that you can turn a blind eye to someone who takes pleasure in what you consider exploitation, torture, and murder?

I'm not vegan because I believe all life is sacred.

Do you think being non-vegan is like being a member of the KKK? I don't. If you'd like to explain the connection between the two, I am open to hearing more.

You missed his analogy completely.

He's saying *not* being vegan is like being in the KKK, or more accurately, if the tenets of veganism are believed by a vegan, then associating with someone who does not subscribe to these tenets would be like someone associating with someone in the KKK despite their beliefs/activities being abhorrent to them.

I didn't miss it -- I'm questioning it. I don't agree with his assumption that vegan to non-vegan is to non-KKK member to KKK member. I think it's based in assumptions in what all vegans think or believe. Some vegans may relate to non-vegans as non-KKK members would relate to KKK members, but not all vegans. And certainly not me.

I'm also questioning the assumption that the only rationale for veganism is that "all life is sacred."

I thought you had said that you were vegan for ethical reasons. And I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the ethical reasons involved the treatment of animals. Therefore those who eat meat and wear leather and fur would be doing something (killing) that you find "unethical". But apparently it's not *that* big of a deal. As long as you do your part it's okay if others want to kill and torture animals.
    I know one doesn't equate to the other, but the common theme is the bigotry behind the proponents and their followers. And the constant need to pontificate/codify a certain belief system.

If the vegans you have met have a constant need to pontificate, I suggest you meet some new vegans. There are many of us who aren't that interested in pontificating. I'll answer questions when asked, but most people I know aren't even aware that I'm vegan or only know it because they have noticed what I'm eating (in group settings) and asked me directly about it.

As far as vegan bigotry, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Most vegans have been non-vegans and have loved ones who are non-vegan. My husband, stepfather, siblings, and most of my friends aren't vegan. I love and cherish them all. I'm not some rare bird -- most of the vegans I have met have cherished non-vegans in their lives.

I've never understood this. If, as a vegan, you believe that it is unethical and murderous to exploit, kill, and/or consume other living things then how can you tolerate associating with people who are basically on the same level as serial killers?

Looking at history shows us that many people who are consistently exercise goodness and kindness have "blindspots" in their compassion and/or empathy, groups which are exempted from the ethical guidelines they use when interacting with others. How do I know that I don't have some myself, ones that I won't feel regretful for in the future or will seem very clear to future generations but are now not visible to me?

I don't think non-vegans are the equivalent of serial killers, I don't think they are on the same level.

Is it always easy to spend so much time with non-vegans? No, there are sometimes challenges. But all interpersonal relationships have challenges. I have friends and siblings who disagree with some of *my* ethical choices and demonstrate for me how to nurture friendship and love even across great differences. For an example, my husband and I have great political differences -- he thinks I support policies that can hurt people and make the world a worse place. But we talk about it, try to understand the other's POV. I don't think he thinks his life would be better if he never associated with people like me. I know my life wouldn't be better if I never associated with people like him.

But if you are vegan because you believe all life is sacred how can you rationalize accepting someone who purposely exploits and actively ends those lives. If I found out that someone I loved was actually a member of the Ku Klux Klan and engaged in lynching black people on weekends I would stop associating with them because what they are doing is absolutely horrible.

How hollow is your belief in the sanctity of life that you can turn a blind eye to someone who takes pleasure in what you consider exploitation, torture, and murder?

Do you think being non-vegan is like being a member of the KKK? I don't. If you'd like to explain the connection between the two, I am open to hearing more.

He's saying *not* being vegan is like being in the KKK, or more accurately, if the tenets of veganism are believed by a vegan, then associating with someone who does not subscribe to these tenets would be like someone associating with someone in the KKK despite their beliefs/activities being abhorrent to them.

I didn't miss it -- I'm questioning it. I don't agree with his assumption that vegan to non-vegan is to non-KKK member to KKK member. I think it's based in assumptions in what all vegans think or believe. Some vegans may relate to non-vegans as non-KKK members would relate to KKK members, but not all vegans. And certainly not me.

I'm also questioning the assumption that the only rationale for veganism is that "all life is sacred."

I thought you had said that you were vegan for ethical reasons. And I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the ethical reasons involved the treatment of animals. Therefore those who eat meat and wear leather and fur would be doing something (killing) that you find "unethical". But apparently it's not *that* big of a deal. As long as you do your part it's okay if others want to kill and torture animals.

Are you saying that you align your ethics 100% with those who you associate with? For me at least there are varying levels of my beliefs, and there are things that I'd be willing to overlook or tolerate in people that I would not in myself. Not every belief I hold is do or die.

If I equated killing animals with murder then I would equate those who eat animals with serial killers. If I knew someone was a serial killer I would not associate with them.

That is IF the person equated it to murder. And even then theres the question of the severity of thaylt action enacted on an animal and if that equates to the same action taken on a human.

Not all vegans think to that extreme about it. I personally have some leanings towards what we can assume is the complexity of the experience an animal can be somewhat correlated to the severity of ending it's existence. A human, as far as we know it, has a far more complex experience than a dog, which is more complex than an ant, which is more complex than an amoeba. I'm not going to get up in arms about someone killing an ant. I'd be more bothered if it were a mouse, and more so if I were a dog, and much more so if it were a human.

There also is a big distinction between killing for sustinance, and a serial killer, killing for impulse or. Even a canibal. Then there's the separate distinction if directly killing is the same as indirectly, as is the case with most food people procure.

I mostly come at the vegan thing from an environmental stance, and the treatment of animals is secondary, though still important. To me killing a cow is not the same as killing a human at all. It's still bad, and I choose not to participate in the industry that is made off of that. Those companies that treat their animals better than others is certainly better than those treating animals poorly and keeping them in terrible living conditions. I hold that personal belief and I don't hold others to that standard at all.

Now when we get lab meat down to an affordable price and widely available , then the use of animals for food becomes less acceptable, even tfrom farms treating animals well. But again, none of that is something that I expect my friends and family to follow. I will gladly provide thdm with information when asked, but im not slapping food out of my dads hands when i go visit. I still hold humans in much higher regard than other animals, while still supporting better treatment of animals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I am vegan for ethical reasons and those reasons do involve the treatment of animals. If you read my posts, you'll see that I never said otherwise -- I simply clarified that I don't believe "all life is sacred."

Why the sarcasm? It seems like you're trying to score points instead of trying to genuinely understand where I'm coming from. If you're trying to understand where I'm coming from, I'm happy to continue the conversation. What I'm not interested in is having words put in my mouth or for you to assume that because I choose to associate with non-vegans that my veganism isn't a big deal to me.

Is it vegans that upset you or are you personally upset with me? If I'm done or said something to bother you, I apologize.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Are you saying that you align your ethics 100% with those who you associate with? For me at least there are varying levels of my beliefs, and there are things that I'd be willing to overlook or tolerate in people that I would not in myself. Not every belief I hold is do or die.

If I equated killing animals with murder then I would equate those who eat animals with serial killers. If I knew someone was a serial killer I would not associate with them.

Not every vegan equates eating animals with murder though. I think part of the issue here is that you have assumptions about what vegans think and not every vegan may match your assumptions.
  • lolosensan2
    lolosensan2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OP if you or anyone else wants to add me as a friend for vegan/vegetarian support (I try to stay vegan) I promise to never judge what's in your diary and expect the same from my friends. If a certain diet does not make you feel good and you want to switch to another type of eating and you have a friend who won't support you, I guess they weren't a real friend to begin with. It goes back to first grade. I would just delete anyone who wants to comment on your eating. That is so personal and weird.

And to everyone on this thread who actually cares what other people eat, how they define themselves, what the dictionary says, etc. y'all need to get a hobby.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    OP if you or anyone else wants to add me as a friend for vegan/vegetarian support (I try to stay vegan) I promise to never judge what's in your diary and expect the same from my friends. If a certain diet does not make you feel good and you want to switch to another type of eating and you have a friend who won't support you, I guess they weren't a real friend to begin with. It goes back to first grade. I would just delete anyone who wants to comment on your eating. That is so personal and weird.

And to everyone on this thread who actually cares what other people eat, how they define themselves, what the dictionary says, etc. y'all need to get a hobby.

One of my hobbies *is* thinking about food, the role in plays in our culture, and how we talk about it. Some people are interested in these conversations. That's okay, you don't have to participate if you don't want to.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i am an ethical vegan , i went vegetarian as a teenager for ethical reasons and when i learned about the dairy and egg industry i over night went vegan .

that's just how i am , my heart guides me

best decision i have ever made for both my body and who i am as a person

OP do your research find some basic vegan meals and snacks you love and then work from there
  • lolosensan2
    lolosensan2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

One of my hobbies *is* thinking about food, the role in plays in our culture, and how we talk about it. Some people are interested in these conversations. That's okay, you don't have to participate if you don't want to.

That is fine that you have those interests. I'm simply trying to say that if somebody is really concerned with what somebody ELSE is eating, or how somebody ELSE defines themselves, maybe they should do something else for a little while.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options

That is fine that you have those interests. I'm simply trying to say that if somebody is really concerned with what somebody ELSE is eating, or how somebody ELSE defines themselves, maybe they should do something else for a little while.

The exchange of ideas is a good thing. A concern about someone else's views or actions is perfectly valid, especially if the impact is greater than just to themselves. If it is just discussion then either nothing comes from it as all sides just stick to what they started with, or something said may spark a change in someone. Talking about it is not hurting anyone and I think it's healthy to discuss these ideas, as it does help one critique their own views as well as he views of others.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

If someone says "This is how I eat, but I'm not sure what to call it," I think it is okay to discuss. She opened that door and she hasn't said that this conversation bothers her (that I've seen). It's all discussion on an internet forum, I don't think anyone is "really concerned." Aren't we all just here passing time and socializing for the most part?
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I feel this way about it. No matter what I eat something had to die.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It doesn't matter what anyone thinks of you any where, about anything. Do what's best for you, always.

Food is very intimate and it's only your business what goes into your body.
  • grigglipuff
    grigglipuff Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm almost vegan! Eat it most of the time just haven't taken on the label and committed. Don't let people tell you fruit is bad for you because the science on that is fudged. Do a little more research. They try to say the fructose is bad for you but it's not in the amount that's in fruit.
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've been vegan since September and I am trying to eat mostly whole food and low-calorie to lose weight. Very uncomfortable with my body as I've gained weight during my semester abroad. I am also doing NO exercise because I tore my ACL and can't walk, and am waiting to get surgery. :( Anyone can feel free to add me :)

And if anyone needs any advice or has ANY questions about veganism, definitely ask me because I am really passionate about it!
  • ladyvonna
    ladyvonna Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I would love to support you! I am Vegan for the Animals and the environment. Feel free to friend me :)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I am low carb and paleo. I could care less what you eat. Pretty sure others feel the same way. You'regoingto find extremists in every group, but No one can push diets on you, and vice versa.
  • chaparra71
    chaparra71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i am an ethical vegan , i went vegetarian as a teenager for ethical reasons and when i learned about the dairy and egg industry i over night went vegan .

that's just how i am , my heart guides me

best decision i have ever made for both my body and who i am as a person

OP do your research find some basic vegan meals and snacks you love and then work from there

Pretty sure the last sentence would have been sufficient here. Watching a peta video does not equate to learning about an agricultural industry. I'm an "ethical" omnivore, and not ashamed. :)

As to the OP, my suggestion would be to not write things in a way that you KNOW is going to bring negative comments if you truly don't want negative comments. Otherwise, skim over said comments.

On a side note, I've been away from MFP for over a year, this place hasn't been taken over by the "I self identify as..." types, has it? I sure hope not!