Thigh Gap

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What is the huge obsession with a thigh gap?

It's actually made a huge resurgence in the pro-ana communities over the last couple of years. It was always a "thing" there but it's really taken off in those circles lately. I'm not sure why.

(This is not to say that everyone who wants a thigh gap is pro-ana. But it might be safe to say that being as underweight models are what's farmed for fashion, and fashion influences what people want to look like, therefore the places that they are plucking models and model body-ideals from might be influencing the overall thigh-gap trend.)

Wow I never had one, even when I was underweight.
  • kikip
    kikip Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i do, but yes it very much depends on your hip structure. it's possible for people with wider hips (the wider the better/easier), but impossible for people with narrow hips, no matter how skinny they may be.

Ah, well that makes sense then. I have narrow hips (though with the fat on them they don't look it right now LOL).
  • sarily44
    sarily44 Posts: 25
    Options
    I've heard people say that a thigh gap is only common in children and thin men. I don't understand this obsession -- but I grew up in an age when Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe represented beauty, and they are curvy, not skinny.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Most of the girls who have them in photos are leaning forward:

tumblr_mm2wxj90QX1r00swto1_400.gif

So glad someone posted this gif! I was looking for it earlier. Yes, 99% of the girls you see with "thigh gaps" in photos are tricking the camera by angling their knees in towards each other and leaning forward. Even I can look like I have a thigh gap when I do that - and I've got some pretty large thighs!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Elongating exercises like barre work and Callanetics will help you better define you thighs and get that gap.

496Gb.gif

awwwww I :heart: Marie

That is all, carry on....
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    seriously? having a thigh gap is one of your goals?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    it depends on your bone structure. Having space between your thighs is one of the most stupid things I've heard women obsess about.
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "I'll put a gap between your thighs." -Some creepy guy.

Ok, I laughed forever when I read this :D
  • DanielleJoy129
    Options
    I don't really care how it looks... I want a thigh gap because I want to be able to wear skirts and dresses without
    having to wear bicycle shorts underneath and/or cover my inner thighs with baby powder.

Seriously, how do women walk around in a skirt all day without having to wrap their upper thighs with seran wrap?
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Just say'n:

LoloJones.png
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't really care how it looks... I want a thigh gap because I want to be able to wear skirts and dresses without
    having to wear bicycle shorts underneath and/or cover my inner thighs with baby powder.

Seriously, how do women walk around in a skirt all day without having to wrap their upper thighs with seran wrap?

I have to say this isn't a problem I have and I wear plenty of skirts. And my thighs for sure touch.
  • _NautiBuoy_
    _NautiBuoy_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    f0f02363-5378-41ec-810f-05b9ef836bd1_zpsca282268.jpg
  • Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have one and do have very strong legs. I'm 5'8" and 131-134lbs but can leg press 300lbs.. my thighs are just very solid and compact and I agree, it has a lot to do with hip structure as well. But it is definitely NOT a sign of being fit... you can be fit and strong with or without.. in fact a lot of people that I know that have it are merely thin and not muscular at all.. but I think its possible to have it either way.
  • DanielleJoy129
    Options

I have to say this isn't a problem I have and I wear plenty of skirts. And my thighs for sure touch.

Maybe your thighs are firm and mine are flabby?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

There is a difference between a "thigh gap" and simply not having your thighs chafe when you walk. The thigh gap means that if you stand straight upright, with your feet and knees together, there is space between your thighs (and not just like 1cm - an actual space). When walking, you usually walk with your feet hip-width apart, so obviously that gives you extra room for your thighs. My thighs don't rub together when I walk, but I defintiely don't have a thigh gap when I'm standing with my feet together.

Not having your thighs rub together when you walk is an attainable and healthy goal for most people. Having a true "thigh gap" is not.

Just for reference, this is what most people are picturing when they say they want a thigh gap:
    by-topgold.jpg?0fbabe
    tumblr_mgaryc6wtz1rc6iflo1_500.jpg

*edited to add photo
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Maybe your thighs are firm and mine are flabby?

Um. Idk. I'm not sure I'd call mine 'firm' but they aren't really flabby either. And it's not like I can see yours to compare.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I credit my thigh gap to the amazing Suzanne Somers...

3114466_o.gif
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of thigh gap before a few months ago.

I'd never previously noticed if a woman had one or not. (And believe me as a straight male the details of women's bodies are of overriding importance to me.)

I don't find thigh gap particularly attractive. it actually might look a little weird now that my attention has been drawn to it. But again not enough to notice it on my own.

It seems like some arbitrary standard of beauty someone made up as a joke in order to ridicule our body image obsessions. ("Haha next year we'll make them all want pointier elbows.")

I just can't take this seriously. No one was ever really into this until the meme took hold.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I'd never previously noticed if a woman had one or not. (And believe me as a straight male the details of women's bodies are of overriding importance to me.)

I don't find thigh gap particularly attractive. it actually might look a little weird now that my attention has been drawn to it. But again not enough to notice it on my own.

It seems like some arbitrary standard of beauty someone made up as a joke in order to ridicule our body image obsessions. ("Haha next year we'll make them all want pointier elbows.")

I just can't take this seriously. No one was ever really into this until the meme took hold.
    Damn I hope this happens. I have freakishly pointy elbows. Like I think they have their own wings. I had 'anorexic legs' I got made fun of for, even when I was bigger, and it'd be wicked if mfp just starts a freakishly pointy elbows are hot thing. My bodys warped all over the place...I'll let you put me in a magazine for free and everything.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Damn I hope this happens. I have freakishly pointy elbows. Like I think they have their own wings. I had 'anorexic legs' I got made fun of for, even when I was bigger, and it'd be wicked if mfp just starts a freakishly pointy elbows are hot thing. My bodys warped all over the place...I'll let you put me in a magazine for free and everything.

There's actually a bit of a running joke already about pointy elbows. That's probably why it popped into my head while trying to think of an example.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/uploads/monthly_10_2008/post-47638-1224795000-1.jpg

http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/pointy-elbows-what-they-are-and-what-you-can-do-about-them/ (published on April Fools Day)

We could be the opposition camp and talk about how awesome they are. Pointy elbows are a sign of beauty and good character! xD