Thigh Gap

Options
12346»

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of thigh gap before a few months ago.

I'd never previously noticed if a woman had one or not. (And believe me as a straight male the details of women's bodies are of overriding importance to me.)

I don't find thigh gap particularly attractive. it actually might look a little weird now that my attention has been drawn to it. But again not enough to notice it on my own.

It seems like some arbitrary standard of beauty someone made up as a joke in order to ridicule our body image obsessions. ("Haha next year we'll make them all want pointier elbows.")

I just can't take this seriously. No one was ever really into this until the meme took hold.

("Haha next year we'll make them all want pointier elbows.")
    :laugh:

I love that.

I want people to focus on skinny ankles because mine are pretty skinny. Long fingers anyone? I have those too.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of thigh gap before a few months ago.

I'd never previously noticed if a woman had one or not. (And believe me as a straight male the details of women's bodies are of overriding importance to me.)

I don't find thigh gap particularly attractive. it actually might look a little weird now that my attention has been drawn to it. But again not enough to notice it on my own.

It seems like some arbitrary standard of beauty someone made up as a joke in order to ridicule our body image obsessions. ("Haha next year we'll make them all want pointier elbows.")

I just can't take this seriously. No one was ever really into this until the meme took hold.

("Haha next year we'll make them all want pointier elbows.")
    :laugh:

I love that.

I want people to focus on skinny ankles because mine are pretty skinny. Long fingers anyone? I have those too.
    Hey let the pointy elbow thing fly, I want my moment of glory and called dibs on being the roll model :p
  • MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i do, but yes it very much depends on your hip structure. it's possible for people with wider hips (the wider the better/easier), but impossible for people with narrow hips, no matter how skinny they may be.

Ah, well that makes sense then. I have narrow hips (though with the fat on them they don't look it right now LOL).

I have great big "child bearing" hips. But my inner thighs are my biggest problem area by a long stretch and no way will I ever have a gap! Not that I really want one. I've gone beyond my weight loss goals and I still have not got rid of the final stubborn bits on my thighs and love handles but I'm happy with the rest of me!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i am 5 foot 5 , 114 lbs size 0 jeans and i don't have a thigh gap . i have tiny hips which makes it nearly impossible for me to get some . the only way i could is if i lost all my leg muscles ENTIRELY which is absolutely stupid and completely unhealthy . aim for something that is healthy for your body shape. and don't focus on a small detail like that ... plus i think they are gross but that might just be me
  • sophayz
    Options
    i do, but yes it very much depends on your hip structure. it's possible for people with wider hips (the wider the better/easier), but impossible for people with narrow hips, no matter how skinny they may be.

Ah, well that makes sense then. I have narrow hips (though with the fat on them they don't look it right now LOL).

I have great big "child bearing" hips. But my inner thighs are my biggest problem area by a long stretch and no way will I ever have a gap! Not that I really want one. I've gone beyond my weight loss goals and I still have not got rid of the final stubborn bits on my thighs and love handles but I'm happy with the rest of me!

well it seams like you wont be getting thigh gaps . but may i suggest to get rid of your stubborn fat there , do wide squats ( regular squats but with the feet further apart) you will really define your inner thigh muscles
  • MrsT99
    Options

well it seams like you wont be getting thigh gaps . but may i suggest to get rid of your stubborn fat there , do wide squats ( regular squats but with the feet further apart) you will really define your inner thigh muscles

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

For now I have been lifting and attempting to continue at a small deficit until I'm fully happy currently 121.5 and 5.4. I may incorporate into my weights routine!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Aaaand, we have finally identified the definitive way to spot-reduce fat.
  • sophayz
    Options

what ? no i never ment to say it will spot reduce fat i ment it will define that muscle ... . saying that is as silly as saying doing sit ups will make you lose stomach fat ... it wont! but it will develop your abs under that fat ... you still need to lose fat and you cant spot fat loss
  • MrsT99
    Options

what ? no i never ment to say it will spot reduce fat i ment it will define that muscle ... . saying that is as silly as saying doing sit ups will make you lose stomach fat ... it wont! but it will develop your abs under that fat ... you still need to lose fat and you cant spot fat loss

I knew what you meant and appreciated the suggestion! :smile: Don't worry about nitpickers...
  • bodyisawonderland
    Options
    I truly don't get why people bother answering if all they are going to do is be mean, ask WHY someone wants what they want, or make a condescending remark... ugh.

Anyway, I've done it with narrow hips so the person who said it is impossible with narrow hips appears to have a different truth than I. The trick is you have to get thin enough, and stop doing exercises that lead to "bulk" on the legs (such as SQUATS. Yes, squats make the muscles in your quads appear bigger... especially if you're doing them with weights. To have very slender thighs you can't work the large muscles in the way the guys work theirs (remember, they are usually trying to BUILD their legs. The look you want isn't conducive to that type of training). I know this isn't popular to say, but it's the truth nonetheless.

It's not silly for you to want your body to look a certain way.

There are resources to help people get bigger, smaller, have huge muscles, get six pack abs, etc.

One resource to help people get a thigh gap or just thinner thighs (if you don't necessarily want a gap but don't want your thighs touching) is the book, "The Thigh Gap Hack" - http://www.thighgaphack.com

Best of luck, girl :)
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    oh yay the thigh gap thread... again :yawn:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    "I'll put a gap between your thighs." -Some creepy guy.

Was thinking this lol
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was always bothered by my lack of one, but then I saw a pic of myself when I was about 4 and skinny and saw that I didn't even have one then, so....I don't think I'd have one unless I became extremely anorexic.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I am at the high end of the normal BMI chart, and I have a thigh gap. It wasn't something I aspired to have, as I could honestly care less about having one. I just want to be healthy and fit. I am nowhere near being anorexic. Purely genetics here. I don't do underwear shots, so you don't get to see the whole kit and caboodle, but this is a photo from a few days ago.

32357574_7004_zps7b8bf359.jpg
  • KatieBee8
    KatieBee8 Posts: 61
    Options
    I have quite a small frame and when I reached my lightest a few years ago I'm pretty sure I didn't have a thigh gap. As everyone else has said, some people never get one. Try and focus on other 'physical' goals, like your clothes becoming looser. I love dropping through the dress sizes :bigsmile:
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    yea someone people will just never have a thigh gap. I don't think I will no matter how much I have lost since my heaviest weight I have not even come close but aslong as my legs look toned I don't mind.
    Make your legs look toned and don't worry about a thigh gap hun
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    Just in case you weren't aware of this feature, when you go to the message boards section, there is a button called search and you can type in a keyword/phrase (ex: thigh gap) and you can see the threads that have already been created on the topic. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I have never even thought of "thight gap let alone having it as one of my goals....
    that said - thanks I never knew this search thingy was there!
    I can "search" for everything!

P.s Wow there are so many thigh gap threads!
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    Personally, I'm more concerned about showing off my collar bones, which are starting to take on a nice shape thanks to arm and shoulder workouts. A slightly low cut blouse can show those off nicely, and I can leave the thigh-gap, or lack there of, for private showings only.

me too
    I think collor bones (healthy) are beautiful
    and nice arms

thigh gap means nothing to me