• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Also diet 7up trumps diet sprite, just to stay on topic
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I bought some Diet Cherry 7up at Target a couple weeks ago (thank you 25% off 12-packs coupon!) and I think that's the next one I open up. It's been a long time since I've had it.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I bought some Diet Cherry 7up at Target a couple weeks ago (thank you 25% off 12-packs coupon!) and I think that's the next one I open up. It's been a long time since I've had it.
    There's Diet Cherry 7up? :open_mouth:

Regular Diet 7up is one of my favorites man.

• dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke products(including diet sprite and diet mug rootbeer and cream soda if you are looking for caffeine free options) all contain aspartame, except for Diet Coke specifically marked with Splenda. I hate Splenda...blah
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'd just switch to water. ;) All of those chemical sweeteners are not good for health. They are possible causes of everything from cancer to migraines. I'd avoid it. I've avoided it since 2000 or so. I never liked diet soda and would rather have none than drink that disgusting aftertaste. aspartame is the worst in my opinion for aftertaste. But they are 100 times or so more addictive than regular sugar too. What better time to give it up than during pregnancy when chemicals would not be a good thing to introduce to a fetus.

I know you said you aren't asking why you shouldn't but I'm just saying if you don't like the taste now would be a time to cut it out. It has zero value for a person and that is just my opinion. I have the occasional full sugar soda which I know also has no value in my diet. So I get that people want it but if you don't like the taste don't drink it. For the record I stopped drinking soda(regular i never drank diet) for caffeine reasons. ;)

And this is how threads get derailed.

"Hey, suggest an alternate llama, maybe?"
    "Here's a llama"
    "There's a llama"
    "And another little llama"
    "Fuzzy llama"
    "Funny llama"
    "Llama"
    "Llama"
    "Duck. Also llamas causes cancer"

For those who don't get the reference: "The Llama Song"
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'd just switch to water. ;) All of those chemical sweeteners are not good for health. They are possible causes of everything from cancer to migraines. I'd avoid it. I've avoided it since 2000 or so. I never liked diet soda and would rather have none than drink that disgusting aftertaste. aspartame is the worst in my opinion for aftertaste. But they are 100 times or so more addictive than regular sugar too. What better time to give it up than during pregnancy when chemicals would not be a good thing to introduce to a fetus.

I know you said you aren't asking why you shouldn't but I'm just saying if you don't like the taste now would be a time to cut it out. It has zero value for a person and that is just my opinion. I have the occasional full sugar soda which I know also has no value in my diet. So I get that people want it but if you don't like the taste don't drink it. For the record I stopped drinking soda(regular i never drank diet) for caffeine reasons. ;)

And this is how threads get derailed.

"Hey, suggest an alternate llama, maybe?"
    "Here's a llama"
    "There's a llama"
    "And another little llama"
    "Fuzzy llama"
    "Funny llama"
    "Llama"
    "Llama"
    "Duck. Also llamas causes cancer"

For those who don't get the reference: "The Llama Song"

Be careful. I've had it stuck in my head all day since making the post!

Also diet A&W rocks. Having one right now.
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love pop. Who doesnt?!? But im proud to say i haven't touched it since i started this. Except the ginger ale (it was my bday lol). I just know me tho if i drink even the diet version I'll eventually convince myself to have it all the time. I'm bad tho haha! If you got things in control more power to youuu...i wish. Gah!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I love pop. Who doesnt?!? But im proud to say i haven't touched it since i started this. Except the ginger ale (it was my bday lol). I just know me tho if i drink even the diet version I'll eventually convince myself to have it all the time. I'm bad tho haha! If you got things in control more power to youuu...i wish. Gah!

Why proud?!?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Why proud?!?

Exactly. Nothing wrong with diet soda
  • elphie754
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    Diet Coke products(including diet sprite and diet mug rootbeer and cream soda if you are looking for caffeine free options) all contain aspartame, except for Diet Coke specifically marked with Splenda. I hate Splenda...blah

I don't mind Splenda in iced tea but in anything else I hate it.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't know what kind of fake sugar they use, but I love my diet sprite, diet 7-up and my fav, diet vernors. (these are all caffeine free--try the diet vernors!)

Also when I was preggo, I craved diet coke from McDonalds...... Not sure again what kind of sweetener, but it was good. I didn't drink too much caffeine but a bit of it to help with hormone headaches

• elphie754
    Options
    lbride wrote: »
    I don't know what kind of fake sugar they use, but I love my diet sprite, diet 7-up and my fav, diet vernors. (these are all caffeine free--try the diet vernors!)

Also when I was preggo, I craved diet coke from McDonalds...... Not sure again what kind of sweetener, but it was good. I didn't drink too much caffeine but a bit of it to help with hormone headaches

I actually also used to love diet soda from places like McDonald's. It tastes so different from bottled (I think it's because it was in those waxy cups). Can no longer have it though thanks to food allergies and the risk of cross contamination.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    So, OP, have you tried any new beverages? Did you like any?
  • elphie754
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »

Diet mug rootbeer was a huge hit. Also stocked up on Sprite Zero, and caffeine free Diet Coke.

Tried sparkling ice lemonade flavor and at first was like "ehhhh not sure I like this", then half through was like "okay, it's not tooooooooo bad", and after I finished it was like "Ohhh I actually liked that" haha.

Tried diet ginger ale-but heck no. Took one sip and it reminded me of when I was little and would have vomiting. Already have some mild morning sickness and this made it 1000x worse haha.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Diet mug rootbeer was a huge hit. Also stocked up on Sprite Zero, and caffeine free Diet Coke.

Tried sparkling ice lemonade flavor and at first was like "ehhhh not sure I like this", then half through was like "okay, it's not tooooooooo bad", and after I finished it was like "Ohhh I actually liked that" haha.

Tried diet ginger ale-but heck no. Took one sip and it reminded me of when I was little and would have vomiting. Already have some mild morning sickness and this made it 1000x worse haha.

Diet ginger ale is never good! Diet Sprite and Diet Slice are good.
  • elphie754
    Options

Diet ginger ale is never good! Diet Sprite and Diet Slice are good.

Lol. My work partner swore up and down diet ginger ale was awesome and I would absolutely love it..... Needless to say the bottle got chucked at him after the first sip.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    At work last night and I grab my usually Diet Pepsi (although this time caffeine free). After a few sips, I had such a nasty aftertaste in my mouth. At first I thought it might just be me and new adversion to foods (pregnant). My partner noticed I wasn't drinking it and asked why, so I mentioned the weird, sickly sweet after taste. He goes, same here, ever since they switched from aspartame to sucralose. Blaugh!!! I hate sucralose, always have. Guess I need to find a new diet soda. Any suggestions?

The only thing i can add is that if left for a couple of months in the pantry, diet coke corrodes the can and leeks out. Happened twice already. Just think what it does to your body if it corrodes aluminum can.
    I have been buying Diet Coke ever since it was first introduced. I usually buy in bulk when it's on sale and I have never, ever seen this happen. In fact, my mom had a case once (at least a decade ago) that she pulled out from her storage room. When I drank it it had almost no flavor. Cause? It had expired and the aspartame had completely broken down. Not a single can in that case had leaked.