Thanks Diet Pepsi, you just lost a customer-need suggestions

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'd just switch to water. ;) All of those chemical sweeteners are not good for health. They are possible causes of everything from cancer to migraines. I'd avoid it. I've avoided it since 2000 or so. I never liked diet soda and would rather have none than drink that disgusting aftertaste. aspartame is the worst in my opinion for aftertaste. But they are 100 times or so more addictive than regular sugar too.

Citation needed

Not really it's everywhere. And unlikely to make a person stop using it because of its addictiveness until they realize they have a problem(not saying anyone here does but I have family that do). There are actually groups in my state trying to get over their addiction to it. Like AA. http://www.arizonaadvancedmedicine.com/Articles/2013/June/ASPARTAME-NUTRASWEET-ADDICTION.aspx

I don't think having a sweet drink occasionally is a problem it just can become one if people become addicted and drink massive amounts a case a day or every other even is too much if you ask me. I have a can of regular soda here and there. Especially if I need the caffeine boost from missing my usual amount of sleep or something. Though I generally avoid caffeine due to my anxiety disorder I will consume it at times. And that is when I'd worry about aspartame's scariness. Because if someone is addicted they get to where they drink nothing else and drink 24+ cans a day is a LOT of sweetener. Just because it doesn't have calories doesn't mean it won't cause insulin problems or others. Again as I said above your body do what you want I'm not trying to fear monger anyone or I would have posted a ton of links, just my personal beliefs on it and why I avoid it because I have seen the addictive issues in family as well as complications from headaches and to her diabetes.

I think this was over kill, NOT helpful and NOT on point!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    OP have you tried caffeine free Diet Mt Dew? Its out there, for me its hard to find where I live.

I am Dr. Pepper (Diet and Cherry Diet Lover)..and the The Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper and Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper has slightly less caffeine than the original Dr. Pepper..
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    There's so little variation in the types of diet drinks they sell here. Diet colas and fanta and that's pretty much it. No diet sprite, no diet dr. pepper, and forget trying to find something like diet cherry X or diet vanilla X.
    I'd cry.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Chiming in to add a vote for the Diet Cherry 7-Up. My grocery store puts two-liter bottles on 4 for $4 sales frequently because it doesn't move fast enough. I'm pretty sure I'm the reason why they keep it stocked.

Glad the diet root beer has been a hit, MUG is good. Diet A&W is another one I stay well stocked on because of the 4 for $4 thing, but Barq's is definitely my favorite (not sure if there's a caffeine-free version though).

If you're willing to splurge a bit, check out Hansen's or Jones brands. Jones in particular is good quality stuff, their diet sodas seem more dessert-like to me.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Chiming in to add a vote for the Diet Cherry 7-Up. My grocery store puts two-liter bottles on 4 for $4 sales frequently because it doesn't move fast enough. I'm pretty sure I'm the reason why they keep it stocked.

Glad the diet root beer has been a hit, MUG is good. Diet A&W is another one I stay well stocked on because of the 4 for $4 thing, but Barq's is definitely my favorite (not sure if there's a caffeine-free version though).

If you're willing to splurge a bit, check out Hansen's or Jones brands. Jones in particular is good quality stuff, their diet sodas seem more dessert-like to me.

I don't think they do :(. I do like Barq's as well, but it not as easy to fine as mug or a&w. Not a fan of a&w. It tastes too vanilla-ish to me. Will look into both of those.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

I just checked my cans of Diet Cherry 7-up and it's not good for her...she's stated she can't have red dye #40, which is in it.
  • chocolate_owl
    Agh, just realized Cherry 7Up has Red 40. That's a really unfortunate allergy, that stuff is EVERYWHERE. But my vote still stands for everyone else who's looking for a new soda!
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Why not give up soda entirely? once you get used to water you'll wonder how you ever found soda's tasty - I can't hack any soda's at all now, far too sweet imo. I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them (never did the zero/low calorie sodas as they tasted horrible).

Congrats on your pregnancy :smile:

Get used to water? LOL I've been drinking water all my life, I'm very familiar with the taste. Still find soda, tea, lemonade, and quite a few other beverages quite tasty. Why give anything up as long as you can make it work with your planned intake?
  • chocolate_owl
    Agh, just realized Cherry 7Up has Red 40. That's a really unfortunate allergy, that stuff is EVERYWHERE. But my vote still stands for everyone else who's looking for a new soda!
    malibu927 wrote: »

I just checked my cans of Diet Cherry 7-up and it's not good for her...she's stated she can't have red dye #40, which is in it.

Jinx! You owe me a soda ;)
  • elphie754
    malibu927 wrote: »

Most cherry flavored or pink colored soda at red dye 40. It sucks. It seems to be in things that you would never even think red dye would be in.

Off topic but interesting story: Years ago I had been taking oral Benadryl for a reaction that I had, and every time I took it, the reaction got worse. I had actually thought it was possible I was developing an allergy to Benadryl, but when they would give me IV Benadryl in the ER I was fine. It was so frustrating. Finally my allergist had figured out it was the dye so switched me to dye free Benadryl-problem solved!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Congrats elphie!

644f453ebfb03c5ef052045e8dcb8a2f.jpg
  • elphie754
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Congrats elphie!

644f453ebfb03c5ef052045e8dcb8a2f.jpg

Omg!!! Lol-this just made my day.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    I'm still boggled by the people who act as though drinking diet soda and drinking water are mutually exclusive terms. I drink diet coke with my meals and the rest of the day guzzle probably two or three bottles of water. It's not an either-or situation!
  • jenniferpowers7
    jenniferpowers7 Posts: 1 Member
    I also had to stop drinking Diet Pepsi due to the new sweetner's after taste! I now drink Diet Coke but if I do not want the caffeine I fund Fresca rather refreshing.
  • elphie754
    misskarne wrote: »
    I'm still boggled by the people who act as though drinking diet soda and drinking water are mutually exclusive terms. I drink diet coke with my meals and the rest of the day guzzle probably two or three bottles of water. It's not an either-or situation!

I know! And even if they were, diet soda is made up of mostly water.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    So, OP, have you tried any new beverages? Did you like any?

Diet mug rootbeer was a huge hit. Also stocked up on Sprite Zero, and caffeine free Diet Coke.

Tried sparkling ice lemonade flavor and at first was like "ehhhh not sure I like this", then half through was like "okay, it's not tooooooooo bad", and after I finished it was like "Ohhh I actually liked that" haha.

Tried diet ginger ale-but heck no. Took one sip and it reminded me of when I was little and would have vomiting. Already have some mild morning sickness and this made it 1000x worse haha.

Diet ginger ale is never good! Diet Sprite and Diet Slice are good.

Lol. My work partner swore up and down diet ginger ale was awesome and I would absolutely love it..... Needless to say the bottle got chucked at him after the first sip.

Just out of curiosity, was it plain ginger ale? I can't stand that, either. But, Schweppes makes Dry Grape and Raspberry ginger ales that I really like. Unfortunately, I don't see those items on their website, so I don't know exactly what's in them, or if they even make those any more. I haven't had them in quite a while - not sure why.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Coke Zero is my go-to! It doesn't have that weird diet after taste. Also, congrats on the pregnancy!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Don't really have any alternatives since they've all been mentioned, other than sparkling water and flavor enhancers, but I don't think that's what you were looking for. Just wanted to say congrats on the little one, and best of luck! :)
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2016
    misskarne wrote: »
    Diet Coke :) (and water of course. Why do people assume that one must be drunk at the exclusion of the other? Boggle.)

Congrats on the little one!

Thank you!
    myaminals wrote: »
    i don't know how you feel about orange soda, but it is caffeine free. i like crush brand:)

I've never seen diet orange soda?

Sunkist has a good diet orange soda. I think there might be caffeine in it actually. Another one I like is Diet A&W root beer, or diet cream soda. Also 7-up makes diet cherry 7-up.
    Now I want cream soda.
    Edited to add-around here the movie theater and grocery store (wegmans-I love you) has a machine where you pick your soda base (like ginger ale-diet) and then can add flavor shots. I love it because I always loved grape or raspberry ginger ale but Shwepps (spelling I know) doesn't make it in diet.
    Edited some more because I just read the page where you said about the red40-d'oh!

I dont know where you live, but in western ny we have Saranac brewery that makes pretty yummy diet soda.
  • jhschwindt85
    jhschwindt85 Posts: 561 Member
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me...