Thanks Diet Pepsi, you just lost a customer-need suggestions

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Since you mentioned sparkling ice I really like the cherry limeade and the black raspberry flavours.
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    OK, after reading a few pages, I've finally realized why I've sometimes been getting a weird taste when I drink Diet Pepsi. I just thought I was catching a cold...50 times. Anyway, Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi are pretty much the only sugar free sodas where I live. Even if I hated Diet Pepsi's new taste, I'd probably still choke it down. Best of luck on your quest.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Since you mentioned sparkling ice I really like the cherry limeade and the black raspberry flavours.

I'm sure I would love both but unfortunately both have red dye #40(at least I know the black raspberry certain does). It was a bummer to see that.
    OK, after reading a few pages, I've finally realized why I've sometimes been getting a weird taste when I drink Diet Pepsi. I just thought I was catching a cold...50 times. Anyway, Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi are pretty much the only sugar free sodas where I live. Even if I hated Diet Pepsi's new taste, I'd probably still choke it down. Best of luck on your quest.

Hahaha
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Sorry I forgot your red dye issue.
  • elphie754
    Sorry I forgot your red dye issue.

Yeah, it's annoying and shows up in the weirdest things (like Tylenol what is white) lol. I'm fine with other red dyes though (30 and 33).
  • kportmanshark
    kportmanshark Posts: 34 Member
    Congrats on the baby!

Try Vitamin Water Zero!
  • elphie754
    Congrats on the baby!

Try Vitamin Water Zero!

I love XXX zero, but it doesn't have fizz.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    daniip_la wrote: »
    What better time to give it up than during pregnancy when chemicals would not be a good thing to introduce to a fetus.

Water is actually made of chemicals. As is food.

Chemicals are not harmful things meant to ingrain fear, unless they are known toxins. Which aspartame, and/or diet soda in general, is not.

This. So much this. I have no idea why people can't get this into their little heads.

In addition, the poison is in the dose. Even the water so many are touting as more "healthy" is deadly if you drink enough of it at one time.
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    I hope you find something you like. I can't drink soda anymore...gives me the hiccups every time. But I used to drink diet Dr Pepper and it was good. For those that suggested diet Mt Dew...doesn't that have a lot of caffeine in it? which she doesn't want.

Congrats on the baby!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Don't have a pop choice to recommend, but I had to chime in with huge CONGRATS on the upcoming bundle of joy! :smiley::heart:
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    I see you don't like ginger ale. Seriously, try diet Vernors (it's a Michigan pop); tastes nothing like ginger ale and great for morning sickness IMO

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    There's so little variation in the types of diet drinks they sell here. Diet colas and fanta and that's pretty much it. No diet sprite, no diet dr. pepper, and forget trying to find something like diet cherry X or diet vanilla X.
  • elphie754
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    I hope you find something you like. I can't drink soda anymore...gives me the hiccups every time. But I used to drink diet Dr Pepper and it was good. For those that suggested diet Mt Dew...doesn't that have a lot of caffeine in it? which she doesn't want.

Congrats on the baby!

Thank you and does diet mt dew maybe have a caffeine free version and maybe that's what they meant? Honestly not sure since I've never really looked at it/tried it.
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Don't have a pop choice to recommend, but I had to chime in with huge CONGRATS on the upcoming bundle of joy! :smiley::heart:

Thank you.
    lbride wrote: »
    I see you don't like ginger ale. Seriously, try diet Vernors (it's a Michigan pop); tastes nothing like ginger ale and great for morning sickness IMO

Will look for it. Currently drinking caffeine free iced peppermint tea when the nausea hits. Works wonders so I always have a water bottle filled with it with me.

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I'd just switch to water. ;) All of those chemical sweeteners are not good for health. They are possible causes of everything from cancer to migraines. I'd avoid it. I've avoided it since 2000 or so. I never liked diet soda and would rather have none than drink that disgusting aftertaste. aspartame is the worst in my opinion for aftertaste. But they are 100 times or so more addictive than regular sugar too. What better time to give it up than during pregnancy when chemicals would not be a good thing to introduce to a fetus.

I know you said you aren't asking why you shouldn't but I'm just saying if you don't like the taste now would be a time to cut it out. It has zero value for a person and that is just my opinion. I have the occasional full sugar soda which I know also has no value in my diet. So I get that people want it but if you don't like the taste don't drink it. For the record I stopped drinking soda(regular i never drank diet) for caffeine reasons. ;)

So you know I wasn't asking about non-soda like alternatives, but felt the need to chime in and try to belittle my choices? That's kind of rude.

Aspartame and sodas are safe while pregnant, if I wasn't 200% sure of that, I would not be consuming it. Please take your fear mongering elsewhere.

No I saw it up there after I wrote it. I just think if you aren't liking the taste it could be a time to drop it out. Do what you want. Your body!
  • ShrinkinMel
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I'd just switch to water. ;) All of those chemical sweeteners are not good for health. They are possible causes of everything from cancer to migraines. I'd avoid it. I've avoided it since 2000 or so. I never liked diet soda and would rather have none than drink that disgusting aftertaste. aspartame is the worst in my opinion for aftertaste. But they are 100 times or so more addictive than regular sugar too. What better time to give it up than during pregnancy when chemicals would not be a good thing to introduce to a fetus.

I know you said you aren't asking why you shouldn't but I'm just saying if you don't like the taste now would be a time to cut it out. It has zero value for a person and that is just my opinion. I have the occasional full sugar soda which I know also has no value in my diet. So I get that people want it but if you don't like the taste don't drink it. For the record I stopped drinking soda(regular i never drank diet) for caffeine reasons. ;)

Guess it's time to post this again: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary
    It's not scary for me(but that could be I don't drink or consume it anymore the time I did was in yogurts) but some of my family have massive amounts of Diet soda and struggle with non stop migraines. It runs in our family(my mom and aunts) but I don't drink diet never have and I have had minimal while they are struggle with it on a weekly and daily(sometimes) basis. I know of other friends that have had troubles. For me its all taste that stuff is disgusting to me, the aftertaste is horrible. I just can't stomach it. What it might do on an unborn child has not be researched.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited June 2016

My kids are so addicted to these. Black cherry and cherry limeaid are their favorites.

ETA: sorry I forgot the red dye issue as well.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

Guess it's time to post this again: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary
    It's not scary for me(but that could be I don't drink or consume it anymore the time I did was in yogurts) but some of my family have massive amounts of Diet soda and struggle with non stop migraines. It runs in our family(my mom and aunts) but I don't drink diet never have and I have had minimal while they are struggle with it on a weekly and daily(sometimes) basis. I know of other friends that have had troubles. For me its all taste that stuff is disgusting to me, the aftertaste is horrible. I just can't stomach it. What it might do on an unborn child has not be researched.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2862125
  • ShrinkinMel
    I'd just switch to water. ;) All of those chemical sweeteners are not good for health. They are possible causes of everything from cancer to migraines. I'd avoid it. I've avoided it since 2000 or so. I never liked diet soda and would rather have none than drink that disgusting aftertaste. aspartame is the worst in my opinion for aftertaste. But they are 100 times or so more addictive than regular sugar too.

Citation needed

Not really it's everywhere. And unlikely to make a person stop using it because of its addictiveness until they realize they have a problem(not saying anyone here does but I have family that do). There are actually groups in my state trying to get over their addiction to it. Like AA. http://www.arizonaadvancedmedicine.com/Articles/2013/June/ASPARTAME-NUTRASWEET-ADDICTION.aspx

I don't think having a sweet drink occasionally is a problem it just can become one if people become addicted and drink massive amounts a case a day or every other even is too much if you ask me. I have a can of regular soda here and there. Especially if I need the caffeine boost from missing my usual amount of sleep or something. Though I generally avoid caffeine due to my anxiety disorder I will consume it at times. And that is when I'd worry about aspartame's scariness. Because if someone is addicted they get to where they drink nothing else and drink 24+ cans a day is a LOT of sweetener. Just because it doesn't have calories doesn't mean it won't cause insulin problems or others. Again as I said above your body do what you want I'm not trying to fear monger anyone or I would have posted a ton of links, just my personal beliefs on it and why I avoid it because I have seen the addictive issues in family as well as complications from headaches and to her diabetes.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    evesmom2 wrote: »

Congrats on the baby!

I checked my 2 L and it says 51 mg per 355 mL.