Thanks Diet Pepsi, you just lost a customer-need suggestions

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    At work last night and I grab my usually Diet Pepsi (although this time caffeine free). After a few sips, I had such a nasty aftertaste in my mouth. At first I thought it might just be me and new adversion to foods (pregnant). My partner noticed I wasn't drinking it and asked why, so I mentioned the weird, sickly sweet after taste. He goes, same here, ever since they switched from aspartame to sucralose. Blaugh!!! I hate sucralose, always have. Guess I need to find a new diet soda. Any suggestions?

The only thing i can add is that if left for a couple of months in the pantry, diet coke corrodes the can and leeks out. Happened twice already. Just think what it does to your body if it corrodes aluminum can.

Also I think you'd have a lot more issues to worry about than erosion if you have something in your stomach for a couple of months
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Target had the best diet, caffeine free selection I had seen in a long time. I think they had orange.

They also now have a huge gluten free section (frozen) with udis meals. I was overjoyed to find that. Never do much food shopping there though so never explored the soda section.

It's close to the Oreos at my Target, which is how I noticed it!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    At work last night and I grab my usually Diet Pepsi (although this time caffeine free). After a few sips, I had such a nasty aftertaste in my mouth. At first I thought it might just be me and new adversion to foods (pregnant). My partner noticed I wasn't drinking it and asked why, so I mentioned the weird, sickly sweet after taste. He goes, same here, ever since they switched from aspartame to sucralose. Blaugh!!! I hate sucralose, always have. Guess I need to find a new diet soda. Any suggestions?

The only thing i can add is that if left for a couple of months in the pantry, diet coke corrodes the can and leeks out. Happened twice already. Just think what it does to your body if it corrodes aluminum can.

If you're worried about corrosion reactions in your stomach, try to limit your eating of aluminium cans.

I'm on restricted aluminum intake diet, so no worries
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Once again I didn't ask if I should drink soda or not. Not sure why anti soda people always seem to need to post things like this. I'll do me, you do you.
    It's a forum, you asked for suggestions because you didn't like that soda anymore. Drinking water instead of any soda is a great suggestion, healthiest for you and your baby, but you do whatever you want, of course.

After I had said several times that I wasn't looking for that type of advice, you would think people would understand that. Yet, once again, someone has to suggest that my choices are bad, and use ridiculous claims of why they are bad.

Don't like my choice? Simply move on. No need for the anti soda brigade to continue to try and hound me over it. I have asked politely several times for those who disagree to do so. I am not interested in a debate.

Edit-fix quotes

• elphie754
    Options
    I think she's more annoyed with people coming in here spewing pseudoscience woo about something they don't understand as facts instead of opinions.
    Once again I didn't ask if I should drink soda or not. Not sure why anti soda people always seem to need to post things like this. I'll do me, you do you.

It's a forum, you asked for suggestions because you didn't like that soda anymore. Drinking water instead of any soda is a great suggestion, healthiest for you and your baby, but you do whatever you want, of course.

Yep.

It's also generally considered polite to at least skim the responses before answering, which would help anyone trying to steer her away from soda in this case. It's also very common on these forums for diet soda threads to become derailed and get shut down, which doesn't help the OP.

Also yep.

• snikkins
    Options

After I had said several times that I wasn't looking for that type of advice, you would think people would understand that. Yet, once again, someone has to suggest that my choices are bad, and use ridiculous claims of why they are bad.

Don't like my choice? Simply move on. No need for the anti soda brigade to continue to try and hound me over it. I have asked politely several times for those who disagree to do so. I am not interested in a debate.

Edit-fix quotes

But now you get the added bonus of baby fear-mongering! Congrats, btw.

I drink a lot of water in a day, but sometimes I just like something that has a bit of flavor and no calories. Diet soda fits this bill. :dealwithit:
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    For anyone who is interested and maybe has access to "British" shops, I have just checked the ingredients on the cans of both Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max (as sold in the UK) and they both use aspartame. Clearly the whole different recipes for different regions thing applies in this case too.

My go to "zero calorie" fizzy pop is "no added sugar ginger beer". As someone mentioned ginger ale earlier (which is different) it might be that ginger does a good job of hiding the sweetener taste in diet pop?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Canada still has aspartame in diet Pepsi
  • elphie754
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Edit-fix quotes

But now you get the added bonus of baby fear-mongering! Congrats, btw.

I drink a lot of water in a day, but sometimes I just like something that has a bit of flavor and no calories. Diet soda fits this bill. :dealwithit:

For some reason this made me laugh so much harder than I should have.
  • snikkins
    Options
    I do what I can.

I'm super jealous of the still aspartame Diet Pepsi.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You could try stopping into a convenience store and buy a few bottles of pop you've never had, like Dr. Pepper, Coke and Sprite and see which one you like.
  • elphie754
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »

It seems to me she asked about other soda-like alternatives... water is nothing like soda in taste or feel. Suggesting water instead of another soda is like someone asking what type of beef cut is better tasting and you tell them turkey legs.

Haha. Great comparison.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

It seems to me she asked about other soda-like alternatives... water is nothing like soda in taste or feel. Suggesting water instead of another soda is like someone asking what type of beef cut is better tasting and you tell them turkey legs.

I think breaded fish sticks are the more appropriate beef substitute. :wink: :laugh: Nice analogy.

@elphie754 I don't have any substitute recommendations, but I did want to pop in to say congratulations!

• elphie754
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I think breaded fish sticks are the more appropriate beef substitute. :wink: :laugh: Nice analogy.

@elphie754 I don't have any substitute recommendations, but I did want to pop in to say congratulations!

Awww thank you!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Canada still has aspartame in diet Pepsi

Yes. It does.

We were in the US a few months ago and my husband bought a diet Pepsi. I grabbed the bottle to take a drink and was repulsed. I thought it was a bad bottle or something until I noticed the label saying that it was sweetened with sucralose.
    If they change it here in Canada, I'll be out. I can't stand it.

I prefer the taste of diet pop over regular.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

I agree unless it's sparkling water because of the carbonation, it seems like soda; to me & while I know that beer is also carbonated, it's never been a replacement for soda due to taste & alcohol content (even the non alcoholic version but just because of taste), as sparking water; has been.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So Pepsico decided to just ruin the US's supply of Diet Pepsi? Not fair. :disappointed:

I hope I can find drinkable Diet Pepsi in Europe next Saturday.