Thanks Diet Pepsi, you just lost a customer-need suggestions

Options

Replies

• jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    At work last night and I grab my usually Diet Pepsi (although this time caffeine free). After a few sips, I had such a nasty aftertaste in my mouth. At first I thought it might just be me and new adversion to foods (pregnant). My partner noticed I wasn't drinking it and asked why, so I mentioned the weird, sickly sweet after taste. He goes, same here, ever since they switched from aspartame to sucralose. Blaugh!!! I hate sucralose, always have. Guess I need to find a new diet soda. Any suggestions?

I used to drink Zevia but it got expensive after while. Then I turned to Coke Zero. It taste the best to me without the calories. Now, I hardly drink any kind of soda anymore.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is the best... <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Coke zero, Pepsi max

My two favourites.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Can you get diet from an international shop? I know here in Australia, I can shop around and get diet soda from different countries, and they have different ingredients. But Australia tends to import a lot more than the US.

Congrats on the baby!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Can you get diet from an international shop? I know here in Australia, I can shop around and get diet soda from different countries, and they have different ingredients. But Australia tends to import a lot more than the US.

Congrats on the baby!

Ty! I've never looked into that option. When I have a chance later, I'll see if that is a possibility.

On phone and forum seems to be glitching/or my service sucks (hence the quote mishaps).
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero and Cherry Coke Zero. The best. Now that I drink those, Diet Coke tastes gross to me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I drink diet A&W root beer (has aspartame) and diet Mt. Dew (has aspartame and sucralose).
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Pepsi - sucralose has been in Diet Pepsi for months, so you must not drink much of it anyway. I did not notice a taste difference when they made the switch, but there is definitely a taste difference between caffeinated and caffeine free. You might have been noticing that rather than the change in sweeteners.

It's the sweetner. I had been drinking diet iced tea for the past few months and literally bought Diet Pepsi again last night. I used to drink it all the time though.

You said you drank your "usually" (sic) Diet Pepsi, but now your story changes to say you haven't drank it for a few months.
    At work last night and I grab my usually Diet Pepsi

Diet Pepsi was sweetened with sucralose 3 months ago, and even twice that time (6 months ago). Tea would not taste like Diet Pepsi.

Here is the actual difference, though, compared to what you normally drink:
    (although this time caffeine free)

So even though you are adamant that it is the sucralose you are tasting, you have admitted that the only difference compared to what you last consumed is that this time, it was caffeine free. Do what you will with that revelation- I don't own stock in PepsiCo, so it makes no difference to me. At least now you have an opportunity to understand what you are tasting differently.
    This is what I heard too! I didn't notice much change. It tastes almost exactly the same to me.

I do know that the caffeine free version tastes a lot different to me.

Source: I drink a ridiculous amount of Diet Pepsi! Lol my job only stocks Pepsi products and it's like heaven. :smiley:

Anyways, tastes change and some people can taste differences more than others!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero for me
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Coke zero is now available in a caffeine free form, but I think it tastes different. And I hate that taste. But, I have no clue if there is a similar difference between diet pepsi and diet, caffeine free pepsi (when I order a diet coke and the waiter asks if diet pepsi is ok, I ask for water...).
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I see that it's been mentioned several times, but Diet Dr Pepper is the only one I actually like. I'll drink Diet Coke, but I don't really like it, and if it's all that's available I'm tempted to not even have diet. :frowning:

For all the people saying to just quit soda, yes, water is awesome. I spent a lot of time learning to actually enjoy drinking water, to the point where I crave it more than anything else. But some of us don't want to never drink soda again. I don't. I'd rather be able to enjoy it when I feel like it, and diet makes that easier. It's not poison, anymore than having the occasional cookie or potato chip is. So get over it, already.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Coke zero is now available in a caffeine free form, but I think it tastes different. And I hate that taste. But, I have no clue if there is a similar difference between diet pepsi and diet, caffeine free pepsi (when I order a diet coke and the waiter asks if diet pepsi is ok, I ask for water...).

I drink a lot of Diet Pepsi, but I do not like the taste of caffeine-free Diet Pepsi. It is definitely a different taste.

Fun story about soda tastes - Did you know that the New Coke (for those that remember or have heard about it) was made from the flavor of Diet Coke? Coke and Diet Coke were always different flavors, intentionally. Coke's consumer research found that consumers liked the taste of Pepsi best, then Diet Coke, and that Coke tasted the worst of the 3. So they made the flavor of Diet Coke into a caloric version because they already had the flavor and it tasted better than Coke. They replaced Coke with this New Coke. It only lasted a couple months, but only because of nostalgia. Most consumers (including the leader of a movement to bring back the original Coke) in blind taste tests preferred the Diet Coke / New Coke flavor over the original Coke (now known as Coke Classic), but fought against the New Coke because they just didn't want to see a change.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is allergic to aspartame, so we always check what's used in the diet soda we buy for her.

There are now two versions of Diet Coke, one with aspartame and one with Splenda. If you want to avoid the version with sucralose, cans with that version are marked with a yellow swirl.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Ha, when a waiter asks me if Pepsi is ok, I tend to look at them like they've grown a third head. "No!" I want to shout. "When is Pepsi EVER ok???" But I'm from Texas. IMHO, the proper response when someone asks for a Coke is to ask what kind, and generally the correct answer to that is Dr. Pepper. Coke is acceptable too, but Pepsi is for Yankees. :tongue:

Must be true - I'm originally from Boston and when I used to drink soda I'd ask for a Pepsi. If they asked if coke was okay, I'd say "give me a Sprite then" lol.