Thanks Diet Pepsi, you just lost a customer-need suggestions

Options

Replies

• ginncjb
    ginncjb Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You might try regular Diet Pepsi vs. caffeine-free before you give up entirely. The caffeine-free has always left an aftertaste for me, even when they were using aspartame & I've noticed that it expires much more quickly. I've found that aspartame really aggravates my gastritis, so right now, sucralose is my only choice. I do occasionally drink Diet Dr. Pepper, but haven't been able to complete kick Diet Pepsi.
    Good luck finding a substitute! :smile:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    A&W Diet Root Beer for the win! :)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed the caffeine-free tasting different than the with caffeine new Diet Pepsi, but I did notice the difference between aspartame and sucralose. I greatly preferred the aspartame Diet Pepsi, but I deal.

I've really been enjoying the Diet A&W root beer as well as Diet Ginger Ale from Schweppes.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, but I hate diet pop and regular pop, but sometimes want something similar to pop. At those times I have a "cran & soda". About 1/3 cranberry juice and 2/3 soda water (NOT tonic water, that's totally different). You could add a squeeze of lime as well. Or vodka :wink:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is allergic to aspartame, so we always check what's used in the diet soda we buy for her.

There are now two versions of Diet Coke, one with aspartame and one with Splenda. If you want to avoid the version with sucralose, cans with that version are marked with a yellow swirl.

Good to know!
    auddii wrote: »
    Coke zero is now available in a caffeine free form, but I think it tastes different. And I hate that taste. But, I have no clue if there is a similar difference between diet pepsi and diet, caffeine free pepsi (when I order a diet coke and the waiter asks if diet pepsi is ok, I ask for water...).

I drink a lot of Diet Pepsi, but I do not like the taste of caffeine-free Diet Pepsi. It is definitely a different taste.

Fun story about soda tastes - Did you know that the New Coke (for those that remember or have heard about it) was made from the flavor of Diet Coke? Coke and Diet Coke were always different flavors, intentionally. Coke's consumer research found that consumers liked the taste of Pepsi best, then Diet Coke, and that Coke tasted the worst of the 3. So they made the flavor of Diet Coke into a caloric version because they already had the flavor and it tasted better than Coke. They replaced Coke with this New Coke. It only lasted a couple months, but only because of nostalgia. Most consumers (including the leader of a movement to bring back the original Coke) in blind taste tests preferred the Diet Coke / New Coke flavor over the original Coke (now known as Coke Classic), but fought against the New Coke because they just didn't want to see a change.

Cool trivia!!! I had no idea!!
    mathjulz wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I love Diet Pepsi - sucralose has been in Diet Pepsi for months, so you must not drink much of it anyway. I did not notice a taste difference when they made the switch, but there is definitely a taste difference between caffeinated and caffeine free. You might have been noticing that rather than the change in sweeteners.

It's the sweetner. I had been drinking diet iced tea for the past few months and literally bought Diet Pepsi again last night. I used to drink it all the time though.

You said you drank your "usually" (sic) Diet Pepsi, but now your story changes to say you haven't drank it for a few months.
    At work last night and I grab my usually Diet Pepsi

Diet Pepsi was sweetened with sucralose 3 months ago, and even twice that time (6 months ago). Tea would not taste like Diet Pepsi.

Here is the actual difference, though, compared to what you normally drink:
    (although this time caffeine free)

So even though you are adamant that it is the sucralose you are tasting, you have admitted that the only difference compared to what you last consumed is that this time, it was caffeine free. Do what you will with that revelation- I don't own stock in PepsiCo, so it makes no difference to me. At least now you have an opportunity to understand what you are tasting differently.

Some people may not notice much of a difference between sucralose and aspartame flavors, or aren't bothered by it. For example, my brother notices a difference but he says sucralose tastes more like real sugar.

Other people can pick out a bit of sucralose taste in anything (like the protein powders). I can pick the sucralose flavor out of many things (without knowing that it's there, I check the ingredient list after ... usually on something that I didn't realize had switched). And some of us find it particularly disgusting. No need to pick apart the OP's words because you don't have the same experience that she does.

Thank you. Some people just look to pick apart anything.

My favorite is Diet Squirt

6f4vevfl8l0r.jpg

Then Coke Zero

Never heard of this.
    mathjulz wrote: »
    I love Diet Pepsi - sucralose has been in Diet Pepsi for months, so you must not drink much of it anyway. I did not notice a taste difference when they made the switch, but there is definitely a taste difference between caffeinated and caffeine free. You might have been noticing that rather than the change in sweeteners.

It's the sweetner. I had been drinking diet iced tea for the past few months and literally bought Diet Pepsi again last night. I used to drink it all the time though.

You said you drank your "usually" (sic) Diet Pepsi, but now your story changes to say you haven't drank it for a few months.
    At work last night and I grab my usually Diet Pepsi

Diet Pepsi was sweetened with sucralose 3 months ago, and even twice that time (6 months ago). Tea would not taste like Diet Pepsi.

Here is the actual difference, though, compared to what you normally drink:
    (although this time caffeine free)

So even though you are adamant that it is the sucralose you are tasting, you have admitted that the only difference compared to what you last consumed is that this time, it was caffeine free. Do what you will with that revelation- I don't own stock in PepsiCo, so it makes no difference to me. At least now you have an opportunity to understand what you are tasting differently.

Some people may not notice much of a difference between sucralose and aspartame flavors, or aren't bothered by it. For example, my brother notices a difference but he says sucralose tastes more like real sugar.

Other people can pick out a bit of sucralose taste in anything (like the protein powders). I can pick the sucralose flavor out of many things (without knowing that it's there, I check the ingredient list after ... usually on something that I didn't realize had switched). And some of us find it particularly disgusting. No need to pick apart the OP's words because you don't have the same experience that she does.

My experience has nothing to do with it... the OP's explanation indicates that she has drank Diet Pepsi with sucralose regardless of whether it was 3 months ago or on a regular basis, and that it tasted differently this time when it was caffeine-free Diet Pepsi. It really doesn't have anything to do with me, I'm just the first person who noticed and mentioned these facts.

So what? She doesn't like the taste of caffeine free Diet Pepsi. She wants something that tastes different. Why is that such a BFD?

It is the reason that OP doesn't like the taste of caffeine free Diet Pepsi that is at issue. She says it is because of sucralose, but her explanation reveal it is because it is caffeine free. It isn't a BFD at all, and doesn't make any difference to me... like I said, I don't own any stock in PepsiCo and have nothing to gain or lose based on OP's decisions. She asked for help and I'm helping by pointing out what she is missing, despite it being right there in her own words.

My goodness, let it go! I thought not paying attention to you making a big deal out of this would get you to stop, but obviously not. I'm a town up, I know what I like and what I don't like. Grow up and move on.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Coke zero, Pepsi max, diet dr pepper diet mountain dew

Pretty much this, except also add cherry coke zero. Sooo good.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    We don't have cherry coke zero here in Canada :( though our diet Pepsi is still aspartame. I didn't see the caffeine restriction so I take back my Pepsi max suggestion as that is double caffeine
  • elphie754
    Options
    We don't have cherry coke zero here in Canada :( though our diet Pepsi is still aspartame. I didn't see the caffeine restriction so I take back my Pepsi max suggestion as that is double caffeine

Haha. After this I am sure I will want/need caffeine so will remember that.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

It's my pre and intra lifting drink and boy do I get a lot of anti diet soda comments. Oh well :p
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Plain seltzer. Squeeze in fresh lemon or fresh lime. Delicious. No health issues (real or alleged).
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    jdude3262 wrote: »
    I only drink water that I personally dip from fresh mountain springs using a cup that was handmade by a small native woman dressed only in organic clothes made of local flora. I don't know how you can drink soda.

That woman: Einstein's mother.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasion I have diet soda, I like diet root beer and diet orange sodas...in general across various brands I find those to be closest to the originals. At the risk of getting my head bitten off, I also recommend flavored carbonated water (whether artificially sweetened, sweetened with fruit juice, or not sweetened at all). Technically it's not soda but idk- it's fizzy and has flavor so to me it's similar. To each their own.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Plain seltzer. Squeeze in fresh lemon or fresh lime. Delicious. No health issues (real or alleged).

Again, not what was asked....

It's my pre and intra lifting drink and boy do I get a lot of anti diet soda comments. Oh well :p

Oh I'm sure. I had a diet soda with me once at the gym... One person was dumb enough to say something- that did not go over well for them and they left the conversation rather abruptly lol.
    I only drink water that I personally dip from fresh mountain springs using a cup that was handmade by a small native woman dressed only in organic clothes made of local flora. I don't know how you can drink soda.

*giggle snort*
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The ONE AND ONLY Diet Dr. Pepper. So good, my blood fizzes when I donate.

Depending on region of the country (Dr. Pepper originates in Plano, TX) caffeine-free is available in cans and 2-liter bottles. Here in Seattle I enjoy Cherry Diet Dr. Pepper.

Now you got me cravin'. TTFN
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    To add something else, my sister really loves Sprite Zero. It doesn't have caffeine according to this site.

I miss Pepsi Max.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    But what's the pH level of the water? I need my water alkaline.

• love2b136
    love2b136 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Pepsi Max Cherry.

I didn't know Pepsi Max had cherry, yum ... thanks, gonna look for it :)

• elphie754
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    To add something else, my sister really loves Sprite Zero. It doesn't have caffeine according to this site.

I miss Pepsi Max.

I love Sprite Zero as well, for some reason it is hard to find in local delis. May have to stock up and bring with me.