help please

Options
I am hoping someone whos gone thru the same thing I am now might have some adivse. I need a lawyer so bad. ITs over my son his dad took him for a "visit" a year ago and he wont let me have my son back. Ive tried applying for legal serivces Ive tried appealing to the courts I feel like im just getting pushed to the side. .does anyone know of any different ways I can get some help fundsing a lawyer or for applying for probonalship. Any idea what I should do at all Please.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Who has full custody? If you were never married and had a kid, you do.. call the police.

(I just read you went to the courts, so I am guessing you probably don't... I know in most states unmarried couples that have kids full custody goes to the mother)
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    State Attorney general? Maybe if you get child support going then maybe custodial rights would also play a part as well. Other than that, not too many lawyers want to work for free nowadays. Maybe you can try and work out with a payment plan with one in your area.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Who has full custody? If you were never married and had a kid, you do.. call the police.

That too.
  • onetwopotato
    onetwopotato Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You've waited a year to finally try and get some help.....???
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    You've waited a year to finally try and get some help.....???

Methinks there is more to this and not an easy case which is why a lawyer would not want to get involved.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    So did he kidnap your son, or did he have custody??
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    im sorry.....did you say a YEAR ago?

something aint right here...

1336364503hmmm-gif.gif
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

1336364503hmmm-gif.gif

This.^
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    I am sorry girl but a YEAR??? :grumble: I couldn't wait three days! call the police!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

1336364503hmmm-gif.gif

This.^

+1
  • SANDRA_F26
    SANDRA_F26 Posts: 180
    Options
    Ive been trying to do this all on my own for the last year trying to work with the courts there is a self help law library ive been working with but every time I call the courts to fund out what the status is my case is being processed no court date set nothing just its being processed.. We never were married and yes child support is established he owes 5 years of child support. and its a really long story but there is no parenting plan established which has been one of the biggest mistakes of my life becuase I just assumed I had the Custody becuase I alone raised and took care of him and he was out making babies with another women. Infact he went around telling everyone my son wasnt his I cheated on him.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    assuming the OP will come back to engage us after the cryptic statements in her post...

has he crossed international borders?
    if so, from what country to what country?
    who has custody?
    what are the visitation rights?
    what efforts have you made to get your child back?

no one but legal counsel specializing in these matters can really give you solid advice.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Interesting story. A legal forum would be a better place to get advice.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Ive been trying to do this all on my own for the last year trying to work with the courts there is a self help law library ive been working with but every time I call the courts to fund out what the status is my case is being processed no court date set nothing just its being processed.. We never were married and yes child support is established he owes 5 years of child support. and its a really long story but there is no parenting plan established which has been one of the biggest mistakes of my life becuase I just assumed I had the Custody becuase I alone raised and took care of him and he was out making babies with another women. Infact he went around telling everyone my son wasnt his I cheated on him.

Obviously, take him back to court for back child support. Don't stop. Is there no family or relatives that can help with a retainer for a lawyer?
  • Corked_Up_Cheese
    Options
    WHY would you... Why... wha... yeah, I got nothin. What you are describing is kidnapping. I don't think I'd be going to a law library over that, I'd be calling the police.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Depending on your area, if the parents are not married full custody goes to the mother. Check into that. Some lawyers will give free advice. Also, check your laws in your area. Some areas couples become common law when they have been living together for 12 months.. common law is basically married.

Call the Police after a lawyer and see what they say. Better yet, go into a Police station and speak with someone there.

Try to find any legal aid services. Where I am, if you are lower income the municipality will provide a lawyer to you. If you can't, find a way to get a lawyer.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it depends on lots of factors. the age of the child, the country you and you ex live in, the situation surrounding the police not being involved.

I feel so sorry for you as I could not cope with my ex hubby taking my kids, when they were younger, and not returning them.

But I really do not think MFP members are going to be able to help i a `legal` sense.

All you can do is go through the proper channels according to where you live and your ex lives.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Check with the local university's law school. They typically offer free help to the locals. Yeah, they're students, but they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, check into local community literacy programs. Improving your communication skills may help this process, and even improve your vocational possibilities.

:flowerforyou:
  • SANDRA_F26
    SANDRA_F26 Posts: 180
    Options
    Ive called the police multiple times. Look im already beating myself to death over this . No I didnt just let this go for a year. Things are just escalating out of control and I need help.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but how has he been able to essentially kidnap your child and keep him for an entire year? There must be many parts of this story that you aren't telling us. Have you been to court about this at all during the past year?