You NEED to stop calorie counting and restricting!

Options

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Blanket generalizations are never a good thing. While I can see how counting calories may be extra effort for some people, I cook only for myself and eat out maybe twice a month. Counting calories, for me, is a breeze. I have absolutely no reason not to. Bottom Line: Do what works for you, but don't assume that it will work or be the best option for everyone.

10382200.png
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Here's a guy who ate a huge caloric surplus (high fat, little carb) for a month, and didn't gain weight. How can that be?

Summary: "Here is a difference between overeating and overeating.

When eating bad carbohydrates it’s easy to gain weight quickly. You’ll get plenty of the fat-storing hormone insulin in your blood.

It’s generally hard to gain weight on an LCHF diet. It’s even difficult to eat too much food, as you then usually have to eat more than you want. Even if you force down large amounts of LCHF-food, against your will, the result is usually as it was for Feltham. It’s a constant struggle and weight gain will likely be modest.

Overweight people eating as much as they want on an LCHF diet will typically lose weight."

http://thehealthhelp.co/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet/

The claims in this link are just that: claims. Unless this person is working out enough to maintain they are not consuming that much without gaining weight. No one can defy science.

I was eating LCHF and it got me to Obese II. Meats, cheeses, nuts, avocados. Very little refined sugar, and flour and rice products were an extreme rarity.

The "science" this dude spouts is woo. Nutritionally speaking a calorie is not a calorie. But with weight, your body processes a calorie from any source the same way. It is an EXCESS of anything that causes fat storage. There are a lot of articles and such. There is no solid science unless you are talking about a few very specific health issues.

TL;DR version: Subject of the article is not being honest.

Well if you want to believe that eating 1,500 calories of donuts for six months (yes, I know nobody is recommending that) or 1,500 calories of mostly healthy food for six months will result in the same weight loss, be my guest.

Here is one of thousands of articles that says you are absolutely wrong. And he's not selling anything.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/

A blog post. And why for the love of all things does it always wind up being "Well if you're going to only eat donuts"?!?!?! Do you know that someone right here on MFP put the known science and physiology to the test?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

I'm confused. Why are people cheering for someone who ate a diet composed almost entirely of junk food?

He says he did this unhealthy thing because he didn't believe it was possible and wanted to see for himself - is that why they're applauding? Because he didn't believe it and now does?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, MFP and calorie counting are just tools. Some dont like that tool and would prefer a different tool or method. As a numbers person i enjoyed calorie counting. And since i never had a poor relationship with food, it wasnt an issue. Now i just focus on solid nutrition and training.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    ErinSot wrote: »
    People can lose weight differently. Some lucky folks have the metabolism to do so. Some people say it don't matter what you eat, as looking as you work it off. However, you just can't go wrong with calories counting. Maybe tough at times but now that I think about, it's probably the most simple thing to do. I'd die if I had to work everything I WANT to eat off. Lol.

My sister is one of the "lucky" ones she can eat whatever she wants but she stays a stick, it's not sustainable though her metabolism will slow as she gets older and she's going to start gaining if she doesn't start eating at maintenance instead of a surplus

She doesn't eat at surplus, she eats at maintanece now. She is not lucky unless she is tall. Her maintenance will go down as she gets older.

I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe as she eats actual crap and never exercises...she's around 5"5? Or 5"6? She just has an extremely thin body type
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    People can lose weight differently. Some lucky folks have the metabolism to do so. Some people say it don't matter what you eat, as looking as you work it off. However, you just can't go wrong with calories counting. Maybe tough at times but now that I think about, it's probably the most simple thing to do. I'd die if I had to work everything I WANT to eat off. Lol.

My sister is one of the "lucky" ones she can eat whatever she wants but she stays a stick, it's not sustainable though her metabolism will slow as she gets older and she's going to start gaining if she doesn't start eating at maintenance instead of a surplus

She doesn't eat at surplus, she eats at maintanece now. She is not lucky unless she is tall. Her maintenance will go down as she gets older.

I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe as she eats actual crap and never exercises...she's around 5"5? Or 5"6? She just has an extremely thin body type

You can eat crap and still eat at maintenance. She might not excerise but she may be active in her day to day life.

I assure you she isn't lol. She's a high school student who sits 8 hours a day and does 0 exercise at home. I understand that you can eat crap and still be at maintenance.
  • eringrace95_
    Options

You can eat crap and still eat at maintenance. She might not excerise but she may be active in her day to day life.

I assure you she isn't lol. She's a high school student who sits 8 hours a day and does 0 exercise at home. I understand that you can eat crap and still be at maintenance.

She's in high school. People don't stop maturing until into their twenties. She likely needs extra energy for growth.

Do you live with her? Are you by her side 24/7? If not, it's likely she doesn't eat that way all the time.

That's literally what I said in my first post! Lol. I mentioned her metabolism would slow as she got older and it would catch up with her.

Yes I live with her
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

She's in high school. People don't stop maturing until into their twenties. She likely needs extra energy for growth.

Do you live with her? Are you by her side 24/7? If not, it's likely she doesn't eat that way all the time.

That's literally what I said in my first post! Lol. I mentioned her metabolism would slow as she got older and it would catch up with her.

Yes I live with her

You also said that she is eating a surplus when she is maintaining her weight. Another poster and I were just telling you that if she is maintaining her weight, she is not eating a surplus.

I posted that to give you a few reasons as to why it may seem like she eats at a surplus.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    WHY DO I KEEP READING THIS EVERYWHERE ONLINE?

Calorie counting on MFP has been a game changer for me and it's so irritating when people keep saying calories don't matter and you can eat as much as you want of "healthy" foods and still lose weight

Thoughts??

Yes. Those people are clueless.

• eringrace95_
    Options

Yes I live with her

You also said that she is eating a surplus when she is maintaining her weight. Another poster and I were just telling you that if she is maintaining her weight, she is not eating a surplus.

I posted that to give you a few reasons as to why it may seem like she eats at a surplus.

I was just assuming based on the way she eats and her lack of an active lifestyle that she was. I have no idea for certain because unlike me she doesn't count calories lol