You NEED to stop calorie counting and restricting!

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Here's a guy who ate a huge caloric surplus (high fat, little carb) for a month, and didn't gain weight. How can that be?

Summary: "Here is a difference between overeating and overeating.

When eating bad carbohydrates it’s easy to gain weight quickly. You’ll get plenty of the fat-storing hormone insulin in your blood.

It’s generally hard to gain weight on an LCHF diet. It’s even difficult to eat too much food, as you then usually have to eat more than you want. Even if you force down large amounts of LCHF-food, against your will, the result is usually as it was for Feltham. It’s a constant struggle and weight gain will likely be modest.

Overweight people eating as much as they want on an LCHF diet will typically lose weight."

http://thehealthhelp.co/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet/

The claims in this link are just that: claims. Unless this person is working out enough to maintain they are not consuming that much without gaining weight. No one can defy science.

I was eating LCHF and it got me to Obese II. Meats, cheeses, nuts, avocados. Very little refined sugar, and flour and rice products were an extreme rarity.

The "science" this dude spouts is woo. Nutritionally speaking a calorie is not a calorie. But with weight, your body processes a calorie from any source the same way. It is an EXCESS of anything that causes fat storage. There are a lot of articles and such. There is no solid science unless you are talking about a few very specific health issues.

TL;DR version: Subject of the article is not being honest.

Well if you want to believe that eating 1,500 calories of donuts for six months (yes, I know nobody is recommending that) or 1,500 calories of mostly healthy food for six months will result in the same weight loss, be my guest.

Here is one of thousands of articles that says you are absolutely wrong. And he's not selling anything.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/

You're right, nothing is being sold but it is a recommendation to watch "Fed Up." I have and from what I remember, it's about a bunch of parents that want to blame their children's obesity on anything but themselves.

Try reading this, and then get back to us:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

The conclusion of your article (from 10/14/2014) - "The film’s thesis, that sugar has caused the obesity epidemic, is not well supported by evidence." Sorry, but that is very dated.

You must have missed all the recent announcements about the government's goal to limit sugar consumption. Here's one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/01/07/sugar-new-u-s-dietary-guidelines-adds-upper-limit-to-recommended-consumption-of-added-sugars/

2014 is very dated? A government recommendation =/= science.

Given what has come out in the last 9 months, it is very dated. Not sure if she would have written this article today. That blog relies heavily on the USDA and the FDA.

Fair enough. You don't like my source. I don't like your source, either. Fed Up is bunk. Sugar in and of itself does not make you fat.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have stated somewhere else on this site that my daughter's new registered dietician emphatically stated to not count calories. I assume she tells all her patients. So you can lose weight without counting calories.

My assumption is that unlike most people on this site, who apparently have had good success counting calories, it does not reflect the overall population. I doubt most people could weigh and measure food and count calories for more than a couple of weeks.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have stated somewhere else on this site that my daughter's new registered dietician emphatically stated to not count calories. I assume she tells all her patients. So you can lose weight without counting calories.

My assumption is that unlike most people on this site, who apparently have had good success counting calories, it does not reflect the overall population. I doubt most people could weigh and measure food and count calories for more than a couple of weeks.

How old is your daughter?

ETA: I ask because if she's young it's likely that the dietician wants her to learn to focus on portion size rather than calories.

Of course you can lose weight without counting calories.

I'm not going to make assumptions about the overall population. You know what they say about assumptions.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I didn't mean to imply counting calories is the only way to lose weight. I just meant that it aids in the CICO method for weight loss, which is based in scientific fact.
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    I always get such negative commentary when people ask me how I lost weight and I say I used MFP to calorie count.

It's SUCH a good tool if you're not obsessive with it.
  • shortvixen09
    shortvixen09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    People can lose weight differently. Some lucky folks have the metabolism to do so. Some people say it don't matter what you eat, as looking as you work it off. However, you just can't go wrong with calories counting. Maybe tough at times but now that I think about, it's probably the most simple thing to do. I'd die if I had to work everything I WANT to eat off. Lol.
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    People can lose weight differently. Some lucky folks have the metabolism to do so. Some people say it don't matter what you eat, as looking as you work it off. However, you just can't go wrong with calories counting. Maybe tough at times but now that I think about, it's probably the most simple thing to do. I'd die if I had to work everything I WANT to eat off. Lol.

My sister is one of the "lucky" ones she can eat whatever she wants but she stays a stick, it's not sustainable though her metabolism will slow as she gets older and she's going to start gaining if she doesn't start eating at maintenance instead of a surplus
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Nor does LCHF. I doubt most people can give up so much of their carbs for more than a couple of weeks. Some can, many cannot. I will even agree that without the right tools, calorie counting can be a PITA. With MFP, it's quite simple. I am not sure why "to each his own" is such a difficult concept.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Here's a guy who ate a huge caloric surplus (high fat, little carb) for a month, and didn't gain weight. How can that be?

Summary: "Here is a difference between overeating and overeating.

When eating bad carbohydrates it’s easy to gain weight quickly. You’ll get plenty of the fat-storing hormone insulin in your blood.

It’s generally hard to gain weight on an LCHF diet. It’s even difficult to eat too much food, as you then usually have to eat more than you want. Even if you force down large amounts of LCHF-food, against your will, the result is usually as it was for Feltham. It’s a constant struggle and weight gain will likely be modest.

Overweight people eating as much as they want on an LCHF diet will typically lose weight."

http://thehealthhelp.co/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet/

The claims in this link are just that: claims. Unless this person is working out enough to maintain they are not consuming that much without gaining weight. No one can defy science.

I was eating LCHF and it got me to Obese II. Meats, cheeses, nuts, avocados. Very little refined sugar, and flour and rice products were an extreme rarity.

The "science" this dude spouts is woo. Nutritionally speaking a calorie is not a calorie. But with weight, your body processes a calorie from any source the same way. It is an EXCESS of anything that causes fat storage. There are a lot of articles and such. There is no solid science unless you are talking about a few very specific health issues.

TL;DR version: Subject of the article is not being honest.

Well if you want to believe that eating 1,500 calories of donuts for six months (yes, I know nobody is recommending that) or 1,500 calories of mostly healthy food for six months will result in the same weight loss, be my guest.

Here is one of thousands of articles that says you are absolutely wrong. And he's not selling anything.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/
    Actually, yes. Weight loss would result if 1500 calories puts both people in a calorie deficit and food has been weighed. Nutrition isn't the same (of course), but calories are. I thought the twinkie study/diet confirmed that.

I lost over 80lbs eating nutritious as well as snacks and treats that include chocolate, cake, donuts....etc..

A calorie is a calorie.
    A calorie is a unit of energy.

"A calorie is a unit of energy." True, but don't you think it's possible that eating crappy food for extended periods can screw up your metabolism over time, and result in weight gain? Unit of energy does not reflect changes in metabolism.

If our metabolism slows with age, why couldn't change based on what you eat?

5 Foods That Slow Down Your Metabolism - http://annagodfrey.com/5-foods-that-slow-down-your-metabolism/

again, this is not science. :(

OK, how about this one. Conclusion - "Saying that weight (or health for that matter) is simply a function of “calories in, calories out” is completely wrong. It is a drastic oversimplification that doesn’t account for the complex metabolic pathways that different foods go through, or the effects that foods have on our brain and hormones."

"https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

From your article:
    Bottom Line: Proponents of the “Calories in, Calories out” way of thinking say that the only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss is calories, disregarding completely the metabolic and hormonal impact of foods.
    This only tells half the story, as if everyone who counts calories pays no attention to nutrition.
    Bottom Line: Saying that weight gain is caused by excess calories is true, but meaningless. It tells you nothing about the actual cause.
    Good analogy in this section, but it doesn't mean that a calorie is not a calorie.
    Bottom Line: Different foods go through different metabolic pathways. Some foods can cause hormone changes that encourage weight gain, while other foods can increase satiety and boost the metabolic rate.
    This is why you pay attention to eating a balanced diet. It does not mean that a calorie is not a calorie.
    Bottom Line: Being aware of your calorie intake is NOT necessary to lose weight, as long as you eat in a certain way. Cutting carbs while increasing fat and protein is proven to lead to automatic calorie restriction and weight loss.
    Just as you say that counting calories is not necessary for everyone, neither is cutting carbs necessary for everyone. We don't need cookie cutter recommendations, thanks.
    Bottom Line: The body tries to resist changes in body fat levels by increasing hunger and reducing calorie expenditure.
    I'm pretty sure that the set point idea is not proven yet.
    Bottom Line: It is possible that we are confusing cause and effect. Perhaps it’s not the increased calorie intake that drives the fat gain, but the fat gain that drives the increased calorie intake.
    Wut?? If this is true, then how does the fat gain even begin?
    Bottom Line: Eating behavior is largely subconscious, controlled by hormones and neural circuits. It can be downright impossible to control these sorts of behaviors in the long term.
    Nope. Maybe some people need more education, support, or help learning proper eating behaviors; maybe some people will have a life long struggle. But downright impossible to control our eating behavior? No.

And again, none of this has to do with a calorie not being a calorie. Should we be sure to eat a nutrition diet? Absolutely. But CICO is still a fact of life.

Those were a lot of bottom lines.
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree... Mfp and calorie counting has really worked for me. There are no shortcuts that can beat it
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Because common sense left the planet.
    I agree... Mfp and calorie counting has really worked for me. There are no shortcuts that can beat it

Amen!