You NEED to stop calorie counting and restricting!

Replies

• eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    zbakrjc wrote: »
    ErinSot wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Because people tend to believe what works for them should be applied to the masses. zbakrjc

It's so frustrating to me! Like I've lost nearly 45 pounds by counting calories, weighing my food and regularity exercising and there's people trying to say the method "doesn't work" and is "wrong"

It works for me.

It works for a lot of people! That's why I don't understand people who can lose weight by eating an abundance of "good calories" vs restricting and eating whatever you want.

I prefer the latter and don't understand the former!
  • eringrace95_
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Because people tend to believe what works for them should be applied to the masses. zbakrjc

It's so frustrating to me! Like I've lost nearly 45 pounds by counting calories, weighing my food and regularity exercising and there's people trying to say the method "doesn't work" and is "wrong"

It works for me.

It works for a lot of people! That's why I don't understand people who can lose weight by eating an abundance of "good calories" vs restricting and eating whatever you want.

Those people are still in caloric deficit, that's why.

See that would make sense if they actually were but like I've read articles of people who said they were eating like 3000+ cals a day of "good" calories and losing weight like are they just lying??

It's so hard to wrap my head around
  • eringrace95_

It works for me.

Those people are still in caloric deficit, that's why.

See that would make sense if they actually were but like I've read articles of people who said they were eating like 3000+ cals a day of "good" calories and losing weight like are they just lying??

It's so hard to wrap my head around

They can't defy the laws of science. They are overestimating their intake. It's not actually possible.

Okay good. This is making me feel less crazy LOL
  • eringrace95_
    A) counting calories is free
    B) counting calories is straight forward
    C) counting calories is guaranteed success

But...
    D) counting calories (restricting them) is hard
    E) counting calories is unsexy as hell

If eating less and moving more were as easy as it sounds nobody would be fat, and therefore points D and E leave room for the billion dollar diet industry to rob everyone who wants it to be easy blind.

If you are successful permanently with a system that is free, who can keep them in business? The yoyo is their best friend.

I don't restrict that much (-500 cals from my TDEE daily) so I don't feel personally I'm at risk of yoyoing so it's so crazy to me when these people try to claim restricting is bad for you! Unless they're referring to EXTREME restricting...
  • eringrace95_
    The people who are trying to talk you into it have been brainwashed by the diet industry...don't be swayed.

Oh I won't be don't worry! It just saddens me that they actually believe they can eat at a caloric surplus and still lose weight which goes against EVERYTHING scientific of weight loss. *sigh*
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    The people who are trying to talk you into it have been brainwashed by the diet industry...don't be swayed.

Oh I won't be don't worry! It just saddens me that they actually believe they can eat at a caloric surplus and still lose weight which goes against EVERYTHING scientific of weight loss. *sigh*

It is highly likely that they are overestimating the calories intake and underestimating their activity levels. I've seen posts on MFP were people get 10k plus steps and still think they are considered sedentary.
  • eringrace95_

It is highly likely that they are overestimating the calories intake and underestimating their activity levels. I've seen posts on MFP were people get 10k plus steps and still think they are considered sedentary.

Crazy.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I've seen this alot from the vegan crowd who lack the fundamental understanding of energy balance and basics of biology.

They say things like "don't calorie restrict!" but then lose weight by eating food. Whether intentional or not... they were... in a calorie deficit. LOL
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2016
    Here's a guy who ate a huge caloric surplus (high fat, little carb) for a month, and didn't gain weight. How can that be?

Summary: "Here is a difference between overeating and overeating.

When eating bad carbohydrates it’s easy to gain weight quickly. You’ll get plenty of the fat-storing hormone insulin in your blood.

It’s generally hard to gain weight on an LCHF diet. It’s even difficult to eat too much food, as you then usually have to eat more than you want. Even if you force down large amounts of LCHF-food, against your will, the result is usually as it was for Feltham. It’s a constant struggle and weight gain will likely be modest.

Overweight people eating as much as they want on an LCHF diet will typically lose weight."

http://thehealthhelp.co/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet/
  • eringrace95_
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I've seen this alot from the vegan crowd who lack the fundamental understanding of energy balance and basics of biology.

They say things like "don't calorie restrict!" but then lose weight by eating food. Whether intentional or not... they were... in a calorie deficit. LOL

Right?? I've recently gone vegan and all the "informative" videos I've watched have been like "don't restrict!" Although I find that I still need to calorie restrict on a vegan diet depending on what I'm eating
  • eringrace95_
    Here's a guy who ate a huge caloric surplus (high fat, little carb) for a month, and didn't gain weight. How can that be?

Summary: "Here is a difference between overeating and overeating.

When eating bad carbohydrates it’s easy to gain weight quickly. You’ll get plenty of the fat-storing hormone insulin in your blood.

It’s generally hard to gain weight on an LCHF diet. It’s even difficult to eat too much food, as you then usually have to eat more than you want. Even if you force down large amounts of LCHF-food, against your will, the result is usually as it was for Feltham. It’s a constant struggle and weight gain will likely be modest.

Overweight people eating as much as they want on an LCHF diet will typically lose weight."

http://thehealthhelp.co/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet/

That seems to crazy to me??