You NEED to stop calorie counting and restricting!

Replies

• gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Here's a guy who ate a huge caloric surplus (high fat, little carb) for a month, and didn't gain weight. How can that be?

Summary: "Here is a difference between overeating and overeating.

When eating bad carbohydrates it’s easy to gain weight quickly. You’ll get plenty of the fat-storing hormone insulin in your blood.

It’s generally hard to gain weight on an LCHF diet. It’s even difficult to eat too much food, as you then usually have to eat more than you want. Even if you force down large amounts of LCHF-food, against your will, the result is usually as it was for Feltham. It’s a constant struggle and weight gain will likely be modest.

Overweight people eating as much as they want on an LCHF diet will typically lose weight."

http://thehealthhelp.co/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet/

The claims in this link are just that: claims. Unless this person is working out enough to maintain they are not consuming that much without gaining weight. No one can defy science.

I was eating LCHF and it got me to Obese II. Meats, cheeses, nuts, avocados. Very little refined sugar, and flour and rice products were an extreme rarity.

The "science" this dude spouts is woo. Nutritionally speaking a calorie is not a calorie. But with weight, your body processes a calorie from any source the same way. It is an EXCESS of anything that causes fat storage. There are a lot of articles and such. There is no solid science unless you are talking about a few very specific health issues.

TL;DR version: Subject of the article is not being honest.

Well if you want to believe that eating 1,500 calories of donuts for six months (yes, I know nobody is recommending that) or 1,500 calories of mostly healthy food for six months will result in the same weight loss, be my guest.

Here is one of thousands of articles that says you are absolutely wrong. And he's not selling anything.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    ErinSot wrote: »
    WHY DO I KEEP READING THIS EVERYWHERE ONLINE?

Calorie counting on MFP has been a game changer for me and it's so irritating when people keep saying calories don't matter and you can eat as much as you want of "healthy" foods and still lose weight

Thoughts??

Because it's the internet and people share their opinions on the internet? Yes, it can be irritating when someone has a different point of view, especially if it's one you disagree with or which you believe to not be well supported by evidence, but all you can really do is decide if and how you are going to let it impact your life.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Because it's the only thing that actually works, and if people did that, they wouldn't be contributing to the multi billion diet industry... Plus, like 0.2% of the population take it too far and develop eating disorders.
  • gonetothedogs19
    edited June 2016
    Here's a guy who ate a huge caloric surplus (high fat, little carb) for a month, and didn't gain weight. How can that be?

When eating bad carbohydrates it’s easy to gain weight quickly. You’ll get plenty of the fat-storing hormone insulin in your blood.

It’s generally hard to gain weight on an LCHF diet. It’s even difficult to eat too much food, as you then usually have to eat more than you want. Even if you force down large amounts of LCHF-food, against your will, the result is usually as it was for Feltham. It’s a constant struggle and weight gain will likely be modest.

Overweight people eating as much as they want on an LCHF diet will typically lose weight."

http://thehealthhelp.co/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet/

The claims in this link are just that: claims. Unless this person is working out enough to maintain they are not consuming that much without gaining weight. No one can defy science.

I was eating LCHF and it got me to Obese II. Meats, cheeses, nuts, avocados. Very little refined sugar, and flour and rice products were an extreme rarity.

The "science" this dude spouts is woo. Nutritionally speaking a calorie is not a calorie. But with weight, your body processes a calorie from any source the same way. It is an EXCESS of anything that causes fat storage. There are a lot of articles and such. There is no solid science unless you are talking about a few very specific health issues.

Well if you want to believe that eating 1,500 calories of donuts for six months (yes, I know nobody is recommending that) or 1,500 calories of mostly healthy food for six months will result in the same weight loss, be my guest.

Here is one of thousands of articles that says you are absolutely wrong. And he's not selling anything.

Actually, yes. Weight loss would result if 1500 calories puts both people in a calorie deficit and food has been weighed. Nutrition isn't the same (of course), but calories are. I thought the twinkie study/diet confirmed that.

I lost over 80lbs eating nutritious as well as snacks and treats that include chocolate, cake, donuts....etc..

A calorie is a calorie.
    A calorie is a unit of energy.

"A calorie is a unit of energy." True, but don't you think it's possible that eating crappy food for extended periods can screw up your metabolism over time, and result in weight gain? Unit of energy does not reflect changes in metabolism.

If our metabolism slows with age, why couldn't change based on what you eat?

5 Foods That Slow Down Your Metabolism - http://annagodfrey.com/5-foods-that-slow-down-your-metabolism/
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited June 2016
    ErinSot wrote: »
    A) counting calories is free
    B) counting calories is straight forward
    C) counting calories is guaranteed success

But...
    D) counting calories (restricting them) is hard
    E) counting calories is unsexy as hell

If eating less and moving more were as easy as it sounds nobody would be fat, and therefore points D and E leave room for the billion dollar diet industry to rob everyone who wants it to be easy blind.

If you are successful permanently with a system that is free, who can keep them in business? The yoyo is their best friend.

I don't restrict that much (-500 cals from my TDEE daily) so I don't feel personally I'm at risk of yoyoing so it's so crazy to me when these people try to claim restricting is bad for you! Unless they're referring to EXTREME restricting...
    You don't even have to count calories to extremely restrict.

It makes things more accurate, but hell, I started undereating by just skipping meals and not adding those calories into larger meals.

• gonetothedogs19
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

You're right, nothing is being sold but it is a recommendation to watch "Fed Up." I have and from what I remember, it's about a bunch of parents that want to blame their children's obesity on anything but themselves.

Try reading this, and then get back to us:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

The conclusion of your article (from 10/14/2014) - "The film’s thesis, that sugar has caused the obesity epidemic, is not well supported by evidence." Sorry, but that is very dated.

You must have missed all the recent announcements about the government's goal to limit sugar consumption. Here's one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/01/07/sugar-new-u-s-dietary-guidelines-adds-upper-limit-to-recommended-consumption-of-added-sugars/

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2016
    In my family are people who never counted calories, never practiced food restriction and never got fat. However, they also never got into the multitude of bad habits which have made shareholders of Big Industrial Food (whom I love, by the way) so rich. Interesting tidbit: The inventor of Lunchables has a daughter. The daughter has children. The grandchildren of the inventor of Lunchables have never eaten Lunchables.
  • gonetothedogs19

You're right, nothing is being sold but it is a recommendation to watch "Fed Up." I have and from what I remember, it's about a bunch of parents that want to blame their children's obesity on anything but themselves.

The conclusion of your article (from 10/14/2014) - "The film’s thesis, that sugar has caused the obesity epidemic, is not well supported by evidence." Sorry, but that is very dated.

You must have missed all the recent announcements about the government's goal to limit sugar consumption. Here's one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/01/07/sugar-new-u-s-dietary-guidelines-adds-upper-limit-to-recommended-consumption-of-added-sugars/

I must have missed it but where in the sugar recommendations does it say it directly causes obesity, outside of calorie content?

This one is from Harvard. I can just keep pumping out these articles. Nobody is saying not to eat sugar. Lots of experts are saying to limit sugar consumption.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/sugary-drinks-fact-sheet/
  • gonetothedogs19

2014 is very dated? A government recommendation =/= science.

Given what has come out in the last 9 months, it is very dated. Not sure if she would have written this article today. That blog relies heavily on the USDA and the FDA.
  • gonetothedogs19
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Actually, yes. Weight loss would result if 1500 calories puts both people in a calorie deficit and food has been weighed. Nutrition isn't the same (of course), but calories are. I thought the twinkie study/diet confirmed that.

I lost over 80lbs eating nutritious as well as snacks and treats that include chocolate, cake, donuts....etc..

A calorie is a calorie.
    A calorie is a unit of energy.

"A calorie is a unit of energy." True, but don't you think it's possible that eating crappy food for extended periods can screw up your metabolism over time, and result in weight gain? Unit of energy does not reflect changes in metabolism.

If our metabolism slows with age, why couldn't change based on what you eat?

5 Foods That Slow Down Your Metabolism - http://annagodfrey.com/5-foods-that-slow-down-your-metabolism/

again, this is not science. :(

OK, how about this one. Conclusion - "Saying that weight (or health for that matter) is simply a function of “calories in, calories out” is completely wrong. It is a drastic oversimplification that doesn’t account for the complex metabolic pathways that different foods go through, or the effects that foods have on our brain and hormones."

"https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the people like durianrider and freelee who say all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. They are like "smash in the calories! no one gets fat off fruit!" but then they are biking 120k a day on their bikes and burning thousands and thousands of calories each and every day.

If you want someone who can give you some information based on actual science and actual facts NOT nonsense woo woo i suggest the following:

Unnatural Vegan

OMG she and him say SO much that makes no sense! I found the unnatural vegan through my research and she makes so much more logical sense