You NEED to stop calorie counting and restricting!

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ErinSot wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    People can lose weight differently. Some lucky folks have the metabolism to do so. Some people say it don't matter what you eat, as looking as you work it off. However, you just can't go wrong with calories counting. Maybe tough at times but now that I think about, it's probably the most simple thing to do. I'd die if I had to work everything I WANT to eat off. Lol.

My sister is one of the "lucky" ones she can eat whatever she wants but she stays a stick, it's not sustainable though her metabolism will slow as she gets older and she's going to start gaining if she doesn't start eating at maintenance instead of a surplus

She doesn't eat at surplus, she eats at maintanece now. She is not lucky unless she is tall. Her maintenance will go down as she gets older.

I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe as she eats actual crap and never exercises...she's around 5"5? Or 5"6? She just has an extremely thin body type

You can eat crap and still eat at maintenance. She might not excerise but she may be active in her day to day life.

I assure you she isn't lol. She's a high school student who sits 8 hours a day and does 0 exercise at home. I understand that you can eat crap and still be at maintenance.

She's in high school. People don't stop maturing until into their twenties. She likely needs extra energy for growth.

Do you live with her? Are you by her side 24/7? If not, it's likely she doesn't eat that way all the time.

That's literally what I said in my first post! Lol. I mentioned her metabolism would slow as she got older and it would catch up with her.

Yes I live with her

You also said that she is eating a surplus when she is maintaining her weight. Another poster and I were just telling you that if she is maintaining her weight, she is not eating a surplus.

I posted that to give you a few reasons as to why it may seem like she eats at a surplus.

I was just assuming based on the way she eats and her lack of an active lifestyle that she was. I have no idea for certain because unlike me she doesn't count calories lol

You may not literally be counting calories but, setting aside those medical conditions, a deficit is 100% required to lose weight. ;)

I agree 100%. I'm not sure if you read my original post but I was ranting about people who had told me CICO wasn't a thing ...the subject line was shameless clickbait LOL

What you walked into late was a detailed conversation about how my sister maintains her weight

I quoted your original post. :D
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    People can lose weight differently. Some lucky folks have the metabolism to do so. Some people say it don't matter what you eat, as looking as you work it off. However, you just can't go wrong with calories counting. Maybe tough at times but now that I think about, it's probably the most simple thing to do. I'd die if I had to work everything I WANT to eat off. Lol.

My sister is one of the "lucky" ones she can eat whatever she wants but she stays a stick, it's not sustainable though her metabolism will slow as she gets older and she's going to start gaining if she doesn't start eating at maintenance instead of a surplus

She doesn't eat at surplus, she eats at maintanece now. She is not lucky unless she is tall. Her maintenance will go down as she gets older.

I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe as she eats actual crap and never exercises...she's around 5"5? Or 5"6? She just has an extremely thin body type

You can eat crap and still eat at maintenance. She might not excerise but she may be active in her day to day life.

I assure you she isn't lol. She's a high school student who sits 8 hours a day and does 0 exercise at home. I understand that you can eat crap and still be at maintenance.

She's in high school. People don't stop maturing until into their twenties. She likely needs extra energy for growth.

Do you live with her? Are you by her side 24/7? If not, it's likely she doesn't eat that way all the time.

That's literally what I said in my first post! Lol. I mentioned her metabolism would slow as she got older and it would catch up with her.

Yes I live with her

You also said that she is eating a surplus when she is maintaining her weight. Another poster and I were just telling you that if she is maintaining her weight, she is not eating a surplus.

I posted that to give you a few reasons as to why it may seem like she eats at a surplus.

I was just assuming based on the way she eats and her lack of an active lifestyle that she was. I have no idea for certain because unlike me she doesn't count calories lol

I'm late to the conversations, but just about the only time someone would lose weight eating at a surplus is if they have some medical issue that needs immediate attention. Hyperthyroidism comes to mind, as does cancer.

Other than those medical issues, whatever your weight is doing is supported by whether you eat too much, too little, or just about right.

You may not literally be counting calories but, setting aside those medical conditions, a deficit is 100% required to lose weight. ;)

People with hypertyrodism have extremely have metabolisms. They still need to est in a surplus to gain but its really hard. One guy on this forum had it and has to eat 6k calories to gain.
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Tbh my best friend told me this once, the reason is his personal bias. None of us knew because ofc you dont spread this around was the fact that his girlfriend has an eating disorder. Hes very smart and I always admired that but he personally suffered through a lot of pain due to her eating disorder and he simply cannot see that people can lose weight by resonsibly counting calories.

Additionally another friend recently had a break up after 4 years of relationship and shes currently doing the exact same thing. Shes counting calories but shes doing it wrong. She literally restricts herself by only getting 500calories +/- and doing a lot of excercise. I tried to explain to her how I lost my weight so far. And that this is a way in which you can still enjoy a pizza sometimes and get all your energy and nutrition and not starve yourself.

Thus yeah, I think theres people I would not recommend calorie counting because Id be afraid they couldnt handle it in a responsible way. And I guess the advice in media is not wrong sometimes cause it can (not saying it has to) lead to extremes. Then again I think media is right in saying so because people who are really motivated and interested in loosing weight will research more.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am very happy that there are so many successful people here counting calories. However, the "science" of CICO is not science at all, and is totally unsettled.

http://www.caloriegate.com/calories-in-calories-out/11-experts-demolish-the-calories-in-calories-out-cico-model-of-obesity
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I am very happy that there are so many successful people here counting calories. However, the "science" of CICO is not science at all, and is totally unsettled.

http://www.caloriegate.com/calories-in-calories-out/11-experts-demolish-the-calories-in-calories-out-cico-model-of-obesity

Wow. I like theory #2. Do we get to pick and choose? JK :smiley:
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the people like durianrider and freelee who say all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. They are like "smash in the calories! no one gets fat off fruit!" but then they are biking 120k a day on their bikes and burning thousands and thousands of calories each and every day.

If you want someone who can give you some information based on actual science and actual facts NOT nonsense woo woo i suggest the following:

Unnatural Vegan

OMG she and him say SO much that makes no sense! I found the unnatural vegan through my research and she makes so much more logical sense

Freelee is confusing. I watched a video of hers where she advocated eating lots and lots of bananas. Those bananas in large quantities have many calories! I don't get how she stays so slim even with all the biking and working out she does.

Omg I know! And she calls a 1600 calorie diet for women "starvation" mode
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started on the people like durianrider and freelee who say all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. They are like "smash in the calories! no one gets fat off fruit!" but then they are biking 120k a day on their bikes and burning thousands and thousands of calories each and every day.

If you want someone who can give you some information based on actual science and actual facts NOT nonsense woo woo i suggest the following:

Unnatural Vegan

OMG she and him say SO much that makes no sense! I found the unnatural vegan through my research and she makes so much more logical sense

Freelee is confusing. I watched a video of hers where she advocated eating lots and lots of bananas. Those bananas in large quantities have many calories! I don't get how she stays so slim even with all the biking and working out she does.

It would be interesting to see what her average daily caloric intake is vs. her calorie burn. She isn't telling everything, I imagine.

There's a Freelee thread in the debate section and it is chock full of crazy nuggets and untruths she spreads. The mind boggles at her popularity.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Unnatural Vegan

It would be interesting to see what her average daily caloric intake is vs. her calorie burn. She isn't telling everything, I imagine.

There's a Freelee thread in the debate section and it is chock full of crazy nuggets and untruths she spreads. The mind boggles at her popularity.

Oh thanks for the heads-up.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I think people will listen to others who get results. Freelee has amazing abs.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

And she thinks women's periods are caused by toxins.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

And she thinks women's periods are caused by toxins.

No!
  • lcorral31
    lcorral31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You do what works for you. But yes its not necessary to count calories, if you are eating the right foods and working out on a daily basis, especially if you're weight training.