How do I live without chips?

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thank you. I like the idea of just letting myself have SOME and figuring it in somehow. Pre-measured baggies sound good. Are Kale chips high in calories? Are they any good? Lol

Kale chips, such as I've had, are quite good and quite expensive. They are not on my list of things to get often. And they are very low in calories and very high in nutrition. As miracle foods go, they are good at pretending to be one.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Save some calories somewhere in your daily intake and have some with your sandwich
    This.

I just ate some chips. :)
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    If you can handle the salt, pickles are low-cal, crunchy and go with many sandwiches. Maybe some other kind of side dish, like cottage cheese or a salad. I usually just eat the sandwich. It feels weird at first when there is no other thing to eat along with it, if you're used to always having something, but I got used to it.

It DOES feel weird! Lol Maybe that's part of it too. I'm supposed to be changing my habits right? Is it a healthy habit to ALWAYS have chips with a sandwich or soup?? Lol

It's very weird. "Is this it? A sandwich? What do I reach for?" Strange at first. I honestly don't miss the chips. I know I was one of those people who always had chips with a sandwich, but it seems like a lifetime ago. Getting over the business of feeling required to eat something with my sandwich was the hardest part. After two or three meals, it didn't feel the least bit odd to skip chips.

Skipping chips is a healthy habit. I made a lot of new healthy habits. I like phrase, "Healthy Habit." Very cool.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I usually have some cottage cheese with my sandwiches. or some veggies. but thats me. I will have chips on occasion though
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My local Kroger sells Magic Pops http://www.deliceglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=150 They give you the crunch and not many calories. Four of the deli size and a Laughing Cow light wedge is under 100 calories. There's a chocolate drizzled version for 40 calories each.
  • supersimonesquirrel
    supersimonesquirrel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started having a side of chopped fruit like strawberries or grapes to eat with my sandwich. Or some days having chopped cucumbers or pickles. It's just really nice to have something tasty with a sandwich. Took a little while to break the habit and stop eating the chips or crisps as they are called over here in the UK. Will never turn them down if someone opens a bag though :smile:
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I like pickles or cottage cheese (with celery to dip in it) for sandwich lunches. I also like chips so I get the Doritos Salsa Verde because they have tons of flavor and one weighed out portion does the trick :)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baking your own chips? Really simple and tasty. Carrot, beetroot and parsnip chips is also a really yummy combination.
  • Caroline393
    Caroline393 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Pop Chips? The BBQ ones are delicious and very flavorful. I eat a serving of those with lunch (1 serving = 20 chips = 120 calories). I also like plain popcorn (or just lightly salted) or these snap pea crisps I found. The lightly salted ones are very tasty and they've got a pleasant crunch (1 serving = 22 crisps = 110 calories). I also just got a bag of sweet potato chips to try. I'm not sure how many calories are in a serving of those, but they're supposed to be healthier I believe and they're really tasty. I've also seen tons of recipes for zucchini chips and kale chips which you could try and see if they're to your liking
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    sssgilbe wrote: »
    My local Kroger sells Magic Pops http://www.deliceglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=150 They give you the crunch and not many calories. Four of the deli size and a Laughing Cow light wedge is under 100 calories. There's a chocolate drizzled version for 40 calories each.

Those Magic Pops look like they would be a great substitute for bread or crackers!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Quest chips!!! I am a chip lover and they save me. 21g of protein for 110cal and you get your crunch and salt in.
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    If you can handle the salt, pickles are low-cal, crunchy and go with many sandwiches. Maybe some other kind of side dish, like cottage cheese or a salad. I usually just eat the sandwich. It feels weird at first when there is no other thing to eat along with it, if you're used to always having something, but I got used to it.

I bought some pickles! Very low cal. And turns out Cheez-Its single serving bags are only 140 calories. Much less fat than my favorite chips, Fritos. Worth it!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Baked chips, snap pea crisps, trader joes equivalent of pirate booty, triscuits, pretzels, veggie straws, pop chips, rice chips, mini rice cakes, if you air pop popcorn spray with a bit of Pam or butter spray and sprinkle with kernel seasons, it comes in a bunch of flavors, I like the cheese flavor.

There are plenty of alternatives that are healthier and lower cal than Reg chips. Hope some of these help
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Baked chips, snap pea crisps, trader joes equivalent of pirate booty, triscuits, pretzels, veggie straws, pop chips, rice chips, mini rice cakes, if you air pop popcorn spray with a bit of Pam or butter spray and sprinkle with kernel seasons, it comes in a bunch of flavors, I like the cheese flavor.

There are plenty of alternatives that are healthier and lower cal than Reg chips. Hope some of these help

I just finished a bag of pirate booty. Soooo good.
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Crunchy Chick Peas. There are lots of recipes out there, but basically, buy some dry chick peas. Soak overnight. Drain and dry. Toss with a little oil. Little little, just enough to coat. Throw down a piece of parchment, and bake at 350F until crunchy. Add whatever after you remove them. I either do garlic salt and cayenne, or lakanto and cardamum. Here's my actual recipe if you want to try. http://rinnskitchen.blogspot.com/2016/01/crunchy-cayenne-cardamom-chickpeas.html There's a store bought brand now too.

I also eat Wasabi "Seaweed" when I want the salty, Goldfish Puffs, and when in desperation I cut up a potato and make steak fries.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If you love crunchy stuff eat carrots and apples. If it's the salt on the chips you crave (more likely), just cut back and your taste buds will adjust quite quickly.

Yep appled and carrots. Seldom eat chips.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you like hot or spicy foods, I really enjoy Wasabi Peas. They have a bit of a crunch. They're about 140 calories but they are low in sodium and it definitely takes me longer to eat them than a serving of chips. Although these days I'm also loving sweet potato tortilla chips. The Special K cracker chips are also delicious. I love the salt and vinegar.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love crunchy stuff to eat with my meals, especially with sandwiches. Now that I'm counting calories, chips are just not worth eating. I've tried having baby carrots with my sandwiches and that helps, and air popped popcorn, but plain is not great and adding butter or coconut oil adds too many calories. Any ideas?

If sandwiches make you want chips, and you are trying to eat fewer chips- why not eat fewer sandwiches?
    Remove trigger=reduce craving.
  • mistyh10
    mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My family nicknamed me "Chipsy" so I totally feel your pain. I can't buy big bags of chips because I know myself and even if I weigh a portion, I know it's there and the temptation is too hard. I could sit and eat an entire bag! I have found that buying the pre-packaged small bags works. That way I have my one bag and get my fix without going nuts.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can live just fine without it, or you can make it fit. It's up to you. Preplanning is a big help.