How do I live without chips?

Options

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a pack, but pick healthier choices like Beetroot crisps, Sunbites pitta crisps, Kettle bites all around 100 calories a bag.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big sandwich bread person, unless it's a really good specialty bread that totally makes the sandwich (looking at you New Orleans muffalatta bread).

If you're looking for the crunch and salt combo, I'd substitute crackers for the bread and have mini open face cracker sandwiches. Think cheese and crackers with your choice of protein. Or keep eating your sandwiches and do single servings of chips. Like you, when I was packing sandwiches for lunch, I'd try to be healthy and do raw veggies instead of chips but I missed the salty crunch texture with the soft sandwich texture and it felt like a letdown.

Remember, this is a lifestyle change so you need to do what is sustainable for you. If I had to give up chocolate or cheese for a diet, I'd be a miserable person to be around.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    This is a shout out to the other posters who love the Special K cracker chips - I love these things, and I have them literally every night to satisfy my salty crunchy cravings. I weigh out the 20 gram portion (80-90 calories0 and find that the amount is just right. they come in salt and vinegar, bbq, dill and sour cream, popcorn (I think) and plain - I always have several boxes on hand to change up the flavours. I am a chipaholic and these crackers have helped immensely.
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If there's something I can't give up I just add a bit gym time and make it fit. I do an extra 6 hrs on the treadmill for my daily jar of peanut butter habit.

You eat a whole jar of peanut butter a day? AND do 6 HOURS on the treadmill?? Wow, you must really love peanut butter!! Lol Now that's commitment! :)
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have substituted Special K cracker chips ( different flavors) 25 chips=120 calories and also Good Thins (different flavors) 22-24 chips for 130 calories roughly

Good Thins are awesome! They Have several different flavors.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Mmm you can try rice cakes! Just crumb them into semi big pieces and dress them up with hot sauce, chile powder and lemon. I love chips too
  • mr_electrician
    mr_electrician Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love chips amd won't give them up. I eat the snack size bags and keep within the calorie count.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sugar snap peas if you want a substitute. Chips if that's what you want. I eat baked Lay's mostly because they are less greasy, but that's about hating how oil makes my skin feel. I am super picky about lotion for the same reason. Make the foods you enjoy fit. This is a forever change in lifestyle so I eat less chips than I used to, as in not every day AND smaller servings when I eat them. The same thing goes for ice cream, but I certainly ate that today. It's my son's birthday and he doesn't like cake so we had ice cream for dessert. (I am over my calories today, but I will ear less the next couple of days to make it fit my weekly goals. He will never have another 10th birthday.)
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I still eat chips, I just don't eat the whole bag in one sitting anymore lol.
  • miconsumafuoco
    Options
    I got my Quest chips today! They're awesome! 21 grams of protein! :smiley:
  • dlr96
    dlr96 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Dried apple slices are great too nice crunchy
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    if i get chips I try to get the little individual bags- so I won't eat so much. I like baked chips but i love the pop corners
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    im not a chocolate girl im a salt/savory food person. i make it work. Currently eating some lays bbq chips as we speak.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Costco has Tostidos bean chips. 5g of protein and fiber per serving :) I also like Triscuits, they have 3g of protein and fiber. Also, keep in mind, you don't have to eat a whole serving. When I snack, I like to have a little variety of this and that, so I'm usually measuring out a half serving of things.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's hard for a while but in time you get used to not having junk food. How about a nice crunchy pickle?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    If salt isn't a problem, consider puppodums. It's an Indian food. I usually get Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums. Each one is a flat disk about the diameter of a small corn tortilla, but thinner. You put them in the microwave (briefly, watching carefully, because they burn quickly). In 30 seconds or so, it will puff slightly, turn wrinkly, and grow a bit. It's salty, slightly spicy, 20 calories each, and (because it's mostly chickpea flour) has about 1.5g protein, 3.3g carbs.

Also worth trying: this recipe for Dorito flavored popcorn. I wouldn't say it tastes exactly like Doritos, but it's pretty darned good.
  • miconsumafuoco
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If salt isn't a problem, consider puppodums. It's an Indian food. I usually get Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums. Each one is a flat disk about the diameter of a small corn tortilla, but thinner. You put them in the microwave (briefly, watching carefully, because they burn quickly). In 30 seconds or so, it will puff slightly, turn wrinkly, and grow a bit. It's salty, slightly spicy, 20 calories each, and (because it's mostly chickpea flour) has about 1.5g protein, 3.3g carbs.

Also worth trying: this recipe for Dorito flavored popcorn. I wouldn't say it tastes exactly like Doritos, but it's pretty darned good.

Do you mind telling me the brand you get, especially the one that's spicy? Would these be sturdy enough to to be like a tostada? To hold like mashed beans and shredded chicken?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Do you mind telling me the brand you get, especially the one that's spicy? Would these be sturdy enough to to be like a tostada? To hold like mashed beans and shredded chicken?

I did. Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums. Amazon has them here.

No, I don't think they would be sturdy enough to substitute for a tostada - think of them as a giant chip. They're very crispy, and once microwaved, not at all flat.

Personally, I don't find Food for Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas excessively caloric to use in tostadas, at 60 calories each. They crisp up decently (not quite like fully fried ones, though) in a dry cast-iron frying pan.
  • sc0rpi0gal
    sc0rpi0gal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fantastic delites are low enough in calories to eat occasionally. I think the key is not to give up anything completely. :-)
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    rebeccaahopkins93 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of whatever chip I want. Bring the big bag home and weight an individual portion into ziplog bags. It's already pre-portioned and ready to go. And yes, I log it and I do stop at one bag....but it has satisfied my chip cravings.

I love this idea!