How do I live without chips?

Options

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them. If they're not easily available, you're less likely to eat them.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Crunchy Chick Peas. There are lots of recipes out there, but basically, buy some dry chick peas. Soak overnight. Drain and dry. Toss with a little oil. Little little, just enough to coat. Throw down a piece of parchment, and bake at 350F until crunchy. Add whatever after you remove them. I either do garlic salt and cayenne, or lakanto and cardamum. Here's my actual recipe if you want to try. http://rinnskitchen.blogspot.com/2016/01/crunchy-cayenne-cardamom-chickpeas.html There's a store bought brand now too.

I also eat Wasabi "Seaweed" when I want the salty, Goldfish Puffs, and when in desperation I cut up a potato and make steak fries.

I have a question @agirlcalledrinn are you using garbanzos for this recipe? I haven't clicked on the link yet and was curious
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Make kale, spinach or sweet potato chips. They taste great, and are lovely and crunchy. Google a good receipe for
    Them and very easy to make! :)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like Frito bbq corn chips and now and then put 10 in my tirkey wrap. Adds a little flavor and nice crunch without having the bag around to dio into.

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Like lots of things, it's a habit.
    If that's what you are used to then you have the choice whether you prioritise chips, find an acceptable alternative or stop them altogether. There's no right or wrong, it's about finding what works best for you.
    Or, if you want to go cold turkey, you could come for an extended visit to Australia, I've never served or been served chips (crisps) with a sandwich. Hot chips (fries) yes, but never crisps, that seems wierd to me!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Try Quest chips - I like them personally! Or yeah.. baby carrots or apples. Chips for me are a 'once in a while because really don't fill me up for the calories and I'd rather have dessert' thing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Eat chips once in awhile and honestly...do you need to eat chips every day? Probably not. Not every meal needs to be the richest, most glorious, favorite thing we ever eat. Fuel up and go. Once in awhile have a small bag of chips if it fits your macros, on the other days let it go.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I like bbq PopChips and bbq Baked Lays, their calories aren't that bad. Taste pretty good too, and plenty of crunch.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    If you want chips with your sandwich, eat chips, as long as it falls in to your calories allotment.

I had doritos yesterday. Quite a bit of doritos.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like veggie straws when I'm feeling like I want a little salt and crunch with my sandwich. I don't have them every time but if I do, I like these because the serving is a nice serving for the calories. I can't remember how many right off. I'll have to try the quest chips!
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Also Mary's Gone Crackers are great!!
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The Quest Chips look amazing!!! Thanks to all who suggested those :) I just ordered a box of 8 for about $20 with shipping. Live in the middle of nowhere so yeah lol Can't wait to try them! I also got a big jar of my favorite Best Maid dill pickles, thanks for that too. I also got some Cheez-Its in single serving little bags for when I want all the fat. ;) I appreciate the suggestions to try to change my unhealthy habit, maybe eat less sandwiches if it's a trigger food, and also to allow myself the calories sometimes as long as I work it into my day. Thank you all so much!
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Crunchy Chick Peas. There are lots of recipes out there, but basically, buy some dry chick peas. Soak overnight. Drain and dry. Toss with a little oil. Little little, just enough to coat. Throw down a piece of parchment, and bake at 350F until crunchy. Add whatever after you remove them. I either do garlic salt and cayenne, or lakanto and cardamum. Here's my actual recipe if you want to try. http://rinnskitchen.blogspot.com/2016/01/crunchy-cayenne-cardamom-chickpeas.html There's a store bought brand now too.

I also eat Wasabi "Seaweed" when I want the salty, Goldfish Puffs, and when in desperation I cut up a potato and make steak fries.

I have a question @agirlcalledrinn are you using garbanzos for this recipe? I haven't clicked on the link yet and was curious

Yes. Dried chickpeas/garbanzo beans. They turn into crunchy little wonders.

Sorry it took so long, I only check the boards when I'm on the computer!
  • april1779
    april1779 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love chips, they're my weakness. I don't buy them because I cave. I second the Special K cracker chips. They have a nice crunch to them and a good salty flavor, I don't feel I'm missing out when I have them. 80 cals for 20g which I weigh with a scale. But if you always find you want chips when you have sandwiches, maybe have something other than a sandwich? Leftovers for lunch maybe?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Life with out chips would be a sad one! Life with out cupcakes would too!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat chips, although if you really love them I'd be sure to fit them in sometimes. If it's a crunch, radishes or (raw) turnips or kohlrabi are all good options, and if you like the salt, they are good with a bit of salt. I also personally adore having a pickle with a sandwich or other pickled veg. Since I love spicy, I particularly love the spicy ones.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Baked chips
    Rice cakes
    Protein chips
    Baby carrots
    Raw almonds
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Chips are what I love.

The only thing that has helped me is to use my food scale, log the insane number of calories from that tiny portion of chips, and try to control myself accordingly. They're just not worth it.

But I still love them and want them. :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If there's something I can't give up I just add a bit gym time and make it fit. I do an extra 6 hrs on the treadmill for my daily jar of peanut butter habit.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You can also try ips protein chips, I like them a little better than the Quest ones. Or, Van's "say cheese" crackers are pretty good (I like them better than Cheez-Its although I'm not sure if they come in pre-portioned packages).

The best kale chips I've tried are ones I do in the dehydrator -- toss with a bit of olive oil, parmesan, and black pepper (no need for salt, the parmesan adds enough of that) and they are flavorful. The oil adds some calories, the cheese not much, the kale not much. (If you have an international market nearby the vegetables are often inexpensive so you can get a lot of kale for cheap.)

I do still eat chips every now and then, and I actually enjoy them more when I do have them because they are a rare treat.