Options
1234568»

Replies

• LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    As a young thing I answered an ad in the paper for a job, turned out to be an elderly couple selling Herbalife. I'd never heard of it and stupidly went to a thing, one of those rah-rah rallies, where some dude gave me an "herbal drink" in which the herb was ephedra, and I got the hard sell while I was completely high. Fortunately I had no money so couldn't buy in. Nope. I don't like Herbalife.

This is interesting.

About 20 some odd years ago I took this powder-drink product that had in it, and it made my heart feel like it was jumping out of my chest. I wonder if it was herbalife.

My roomate at the time loved it, but after a few times I swore never to touch it again (and I didn't).

Used to be a lot of stuff had ephedra in it, especially weight loss supplements and power shakes and things. Then they banned it because people had heart attacks. Since that experience I'm kind of a freak about supplements or drinks or powders and refuse to take them unless I know exactly what's in them, and no, "proprietary blend" will not cover it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    In another thread, about another MLM protein powder, I posted that Shakeology's ingredients have not been verified by anyone outside Beachbody, so figured I would chime in.

The difference between Trutein and Herbalife, or Optimum Nutrition and Shakeology, is that Trutein and ON are basically protein powder and flavoring, are sold as extra protein to help you build muscle and nothing more, and have a similar price which is pretty standard across the board (give or take). My understanding at least is that it is pretty widely accepted that if you are working out in an effort to build muscle, it is important to get enough protein, and if you struggle to get it in food, a protein powder can help.

Herbalife and Shakeology say they contain all these magical superfood ingredients that will make you lose weight, stop catching colds, clear your skin, and load you full of anti-oxidants that will make you healthier. And because of this they are a bargain at 3, 4, or 5 times the price. They are making unsubstantiated health claims and will not (or cannot) prove that a) those ingredients are present in any measurable amount and b) that those ingredients actually do what they claim. So my read on the situation is that they are Slimfast with a fraudulent label.

Based on that alone, I feel confident saying they are a low-quality, overpriced scam. They might contain a good quality protein powder in them, but why should I even believe that when they are drowning it in woo?

You could make a "meal replacement" shake by blending up your protein powder with some milk, oats, and whatever cheap greens you can find in your supermarket for less money. Or buy the meal replacement shakes they sell in Walmart or Target or the grocery store - at least you'll be getting what you paid for. I might be a little over-passionate about this because I spent more than $1000 over the course of a year on Shakeology and it pisses me off now that I know better. I really wanted to be healthy and natural and smarter than the SAD and was naive enough to fall for that crap :angry:

So let me speak in terms of shakeology, since i have much greater insights into their stuff but I feel it can apply to all MLM shakes. Beachbody fully recognizes you have to cut calories. In fact, their shakeology commercials or at least the ones I have seen, all allude to using shakeology to cut calories. Essentially, use shakeology to replace one of your high calorie meals to help cut calories with a potential outcome of losing weight. Now, I do get they play on the fact of superfoods and don't recognize the dosage part of it, which I find a bit ridiculous, but that is marketing and there may be some study that supports that to some standard.

Honestly, Alan Aragon has one of that best arguments against MLM's. And my personal views are in line with that. They are over-hyped and inferior in terms of ingredients. Not this non sense that it's going to cause liver damage.

On a side note, since Herbalife and Beachbody have a lot of other supplements. The bodybuilding industry does the same thing. How many of these protein companies promote BCAAs, pre -, intra and post - workouts, and a plethora of other "muscle building" products? It just makes me laugh.

Well.....why not just reduce the size of the meal instead?

You can't really con people into recruiting their friends and family into selling "reducing the size of your meal".

I think that about sums it up.

Plus the notion that many people believe the shakes have some magic mixed in with protein. :D
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    In another thread, about another MLM protein powder, I posted that Shakeology's ingredients have not been verified by anyone outside Beachbody, so figured I would chime in.

The difference between Trutein and Herbalife, or Optimum Nutrition and Shakeology, is that Trutein and ON are basically protein powder and flavoring, are sold as extra protein to help you build muscle and nothing more, and have a similar price which is pretty standard across the board (give or take). My understanding at least is that it is pretty widely accepted that if you are working out in an effort to build muscle, it is important to get enough protein, and if you struggle to get it in food, a protein powder can help.

Herbalife and Shakeology say they contain all these magical superfood ingredients that will make you lose weight, stop catching colds, clear your skin, and load you full of anti-oxidants that will make you healthier. And because of this they are a bargain at 3, 4, or 5 times the price. They are making unsubstantiated health claims and will not (or cannot) prove that a) those ingredients are present in any measurable amount and b) that those ingredients actually do what they claim. So my read on the situation is that they are Slimfast with a fraudulent label.

Based on that alone, I feel confident saying they are a low-quality, overpriced scam. They might contain a good quality protein powder in them, but why should I even believe that when they are drowning it in woo?

You could make a "meal replacement" shake by blending up your protein powder with some milk, oats, and whatever cheap greens you can find in your supermarket for less money. Or buy the meal replacement shakes they sell in Walmart or Target or the grocery store - at least you'll be getting what you paid for. I might be a little over-passionate about this because I spent more than $1000 over the course of a year on Shakeology and it pisses me off now that I know better. I really wanted to be healthy and natural and smarter than the SAD and was naive enough to fall for that crap :angry:

So let me speak in terms of shakeology, since i have much greater insights into their stuff but I feel it can apply to all MLM shakes. Beachbody fully recognizes you have to cut calories. In fact, their shakeology commercials or at least the ones I have seen, all allude to using shakeology to cut calories. Essentially, use shakeology to replace one of your high calorie meals to help cut calories with a potential outcome of losing weight. Now, I do get they play on the fact of superfoods and don't recognize the dosage part of it, which I find a bit ridiculous, but that is marketing and there may be some study that supports that to some standard.

Honestly, Alan Aragon has one of that best arguments against MLM's. And my personal views are in line with that. They are over-hyped and inferior in terms of ingredients. Not this non sense that it's going to cause liver damage.

On a side note, since Herbalife and Beachbody have a lot of other supplements. The bodybuilding industry does the same thing. How many of these protein companies promote BCAAs, pre -, intra and post - workouts, and a plethora of other "muscle building" products? It just makes me laugh.

You can't really con people into recruiting their friends and family into selling "reducing the size of your meal".

Do you even MFP?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I think that about sums it up.

Plus the notion that many people believe the shakes have some magic mixed in with protein. :D

At the cost of them, I would expect gold dust along with rainbow kitten farts.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Do you even MFP?

28rgpkwi4gty.jpeg