How can some people eat so much junk and gain no weight?

Options
How exactly does this work? I have lost quite a lot of weight in this past 6 months, over 3 stone. But even when at my fattest I never ate as much as 1 little skinny guy I work with.

I am eating 1500 cals per day at the moment, this is one meal I count over 1000 cals roughly in 1 meal. For lunch he a burger and several bars of chocolate, chips/crips washed down with a bottle of coke, and this is every day. I'm sure the guy easily eats double what I do. French fries and burgers are a daily thing for him. Even at my fattest I never ate anywhere near that amount.

How exactly can he do this? He's not active at all, never does any exercise either.

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    How exactly does this work? I have lost quite a lot of weight in this past 6 months, over 3 stone. But even when at my fattest I never ate as much as 1 little skinny guy I work with.

I am eating 1500 cals per day at the moment, this is one meal I count over 1000 cals roughly in 1 meal. For lunch he a burger and several bars of chocolate, chips/crips washed down with a bottle of coke, and this is every day. I'm sure the guy easily eats double what I do. French fries and burgers are a daily thing for him. Even at my fattest I never ate anywhere near that amount.

How exactly can he do this? He's not active at all, never does any exercise either.

Maybe he skips other meals. Maybe he has tiny other meals.

And lots of people define "activity" differently.

This guy doesn't skip meals, its also not unknown for him to have 2 dinners, one at about 5pm then getting a takeaway at 10pm.

He isn't active at all, my job involves being on my feet all day, I can easily clock up 15000 steps per day, he's seated all day. I also hit the gym 5-6 days per week, he does not exercise. It baffles me.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options

This guy doesn't skip meals, its also not unknown for him to have 2 dinners, one at about 5pm then getting a takeaway at 10pm.

He isn't active at all, my job involves being on my feet all day, I can easily clock up 15000 steps per day, he's seated all day. I also hit the gym 5-6 days per week, he does not exercise. It baffles me.

How do you know? Do you live with him and follow him around?

Oddly he sends me pictures of his meals on messenger lol, He is almost proud of the crap he is eating
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    Men can eat more, for starters. He may eat less than you think, do exercise he doesn't talk about or he may have a fast metabolism. Try not to worry about others. You do you.

I think op is a man by his username ;)
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    She was just asking a question.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options

How do you know? Do you live with him and follow him around?

Oddly he sends me pictures of his meals on messenger lol, He is almost proud of the crap he is eating

Pictures don't necessarily mean he's actually consuming it

True but why send it then? I can only really go by what he eats at lunch time beside me. I watched him today eat a 4oz burger with cheese and mayo, followed by a snickers bar, and a packet of crisps/chips. This morning he ate another packet of crisps with 3 slices of white bread toasted with butter and a chocolate bar.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    my brother in law is a fidgety type, adhd, constantly moving and up until a recent injury that keeps him way more sedentary he was as skinny as a rail, it's just the luck of the draw I suppose!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    my brother in law is a fidgety type, adhd, constantly moving and up until a recent injury that keeps him way more sedentary he was as skinny as a rail, it's just the luck of the draw I suppose!

Luck of the draw? Nah, he was active and not eating more than he burnt. That's how it works :p